Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ahhhh...heat in the shop....

Ahhhh...heat in the shop....

I've always had to use those smelly kerosene Reddy heaters to keep my shop warm in the winter......not so now. I went down to the local Tractor Supply store and bought a propane fired radiant heat source a few days ago. My shop is 32 x 48 but sectioned to a 32 x 32 pretty well insulated area. The heater puts out 28,000 btu's which seems fine for the size I'm heating.

It sure is nice to go out in a warm shop now that doesn't stink of kerosene fumes.

So when should I expect mine and how did you ship it?

Good score. A similar heater will have to be on my short list before next winter I guess.

Oh, I see you changed your avatar, though I can't see much difference.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Love my wood heat!!

Glad you are comfy now Steve. Sure is nice to have a warm shop.

Someday I'll have something like that in the shop...enjoy!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

steve, what insurance carrier are you using? mine said they`d drop me if i even mentioned wood heat. tod

One of the byproducts of burning propane is water. Watch the humidity and rust on the machines.

I head with a vented propane heater and you bet the shop is warm. congrats on getting some heat!!

I also backup my propane with wood. I have a 55 gal barrel stove outside of the shop and a metal box around it. I have a 8" hole cut in the top of the box and 8" duct work going into the shop. I installed a 8" duct booster fan in the duct and it draws air from around the box and pulls it into the shop. When I am burning scraps my propane does not come one once! Great savings and the fire is outside! Yes I do have to go outside to feed it now and then.

Next revision will be to blow inside air into the box and then push heated air back into the shop but this is a test run for this year. So far, it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup

Oh, I see you changed your avatar, though I can't see much difference.

Karl
    Karl, Yeah winters are hard on me....

Tod, it isn't wood heat it is propane like the one in the attachment, only I have a 100 lb. tank (Thanks to SMC member Keith July).

Ed, Thanks for the advice, I'll keep an eye out for that dreaded four letter word (rust)

I just came in from planing a stack of Ash lumber for window casing......nice to work in a T shirt when the white stuff is coming down outside the window.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    steve, what insurance carrier are you using? mine said they`d drop me if i even mentioned wood heat. tod
    No insurance Tod. It's all paid for.
    Yea I know. It's a risk, but paying out 4-500.00 a month on shop insurance, I can live without it.
    My wood heat is inside.
    Have you considered a outside wood heater? Most insurance companies will insure if wood heat is outside, away from the structure.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy
    No insurance Tod. It's all paid for.
    Yea I know. It's a risk, but paying out 4-500.00 a month on shop insurance, I can live without it.
    My wood heat is inside.
    Have you considered a outside wood heater? Most insurance companies will insure if wood heat is outside, away from the structure.
    Steve
    Ooppss....sorry wrong Steve, thought the question was directed at me....

Steve, It was 29 degrees here in Charlotte NC this AM and the weather folks reported "It's bitter cold outside so stay home if you don't have to be out today" Is 29 degrees considered "bitter cold" in your Charlotte????

Question....assuming your shop is "bitter cold" in the AM, how long does it take to warm up to a comfortable level using your propane heater?

Glad to see from your Avatar that you cleared up that nasty facial hair problem...looks much better

11. Steve, Congrats on the heat. I can remember as a kid, having numb fingers and toes carrying in coal and wood, working on the the car trying to make it run, and swore I would have a heated garage when I grew up. Well I haven't grown up, but I do have that heated garage and workshop, and man do I appreciate it! Again, Congratulations. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by john whittaker
    Is 29 degrees considered "bitter cold" in your Charlotte????

Question....assuming your shop is "bitter cold" in the AM, how long does it take to warm up to a comfortable level using your propane heater?

Glad to see from your Avatar that you cleared up that nasty facial hair problem...looks much better
    Heck no, 29 degrees is far from bitter cold here....my shop hasn't been bitter cold, but the day I got the heater it was -5 in the shop....a couple of hours later on full heat the shop was at 50. Now I just keep it on low after initial morning "warm up" and it is a comfortable T shirt climate in the shop.

Not only was the facial hair getting to be a problem...but I also needed glasses!

Good for you, Steve! Nothing like working in a toasty shop, me thinks! Yeah, definitely watch out for the humidity. I'd suggest taking a cheap box fan, setting it up somewhere behind the heat source and turning it on "low". Turn it on and do not turn it off. Even when you leave!!! Just keeping the air circulating in there will help tons with keeping the dampness settling on tools. Of course, keeping a nice coat of wax on everything is pretty much a gim'me!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Hey, Steve when did you start wearing glasses?
    I wasn't sure if that was you until you took the hat off.
    This will works pretty well...You use the propane tank and have a warm shop to work in and I get your wood scraps to feed my wood burner. So get to work cuz it's getting a little chilly in my shop.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith July
    I get your wood scraps to feed my wood burner. So get to work cuz it's getting a little chilly in my shop.
    Keith
    Don't you make enough mistakes to heat your own shop?
    Attached Images Attached Images