Thread: Craftsman 22124 vs Grizzly 1023SL

Craftsman 22124 vs Grizzly 1023SL

Decisions, Decisions! This being a once in a lifetime (and then some) buying decision, I could really use some feedback from owners of the above two TS's. I've read many positive feedbacks on the 22124, but for almost the same price, I can get the 3hp Grizzley with the Biesemeyer knock off fence.

What's your comments on safety, ease of use fence comparisons, and other features. 220v is not a problem.
    Thanks!

Go with the Grizzley. You can't beat raw HP. Lars

Grizzley. At least you can talk to the President of the company...

Wink

my vote goes for the griz. .02 tod

Grizzly. Have had mine since 1994. 1023.
    Replaced one switch, set of belts, and this last weekend had to replace the centrifigual switch.
    I'd buy another. This saw runs almost every day.

Just completed a similar decision between Grizzly and Delta; decided on the Grizzly. Came down to the basic 1023 has been in production for years and is "time tested" with a proven track record, the other model is new. With the number of 1023's in use, getting parts will not be a problem 10 years from now. I've had 2 items from Sears that needed repair after a few years only to find parts not available. Needless to say I don't even look at Craftsman anymore. Go with the Grizzly 1023SL, I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd McKinlay
    I've had 2 items from Sears that needed repair after a few years only to find parts not available. Needless to say I don't even look at Craftsman anymore.
    Funny, I just got a part from Sears for my 1950 lathe, couldn't get a part from Dewalt for a 4 year old saw.I guess I should never look at a Dewalt again, even if they came out with a great new saw at a good price.
    If you have 220v, and talking full price for the 22124, then I would go for the Grizz. I have the 22124 and have been very happy with it, I don't have 220, bought the saw on sale, so for me it was a 400+ difference in price, plus getting 220 to the shop. The HP has not been a problem, I have cut 8/4 maple with no problem. Good luck !
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Hank, I just went through the exact same decision process. For what it's worth, the Griz was my pick. My reasons....
    more power
    heavier trunnions
    3-belt drive
    much heavier duty hand wheels

The 22124 does have a better blade and the outfeed table. But I was not impressed with the quality of the outfeed table. If you have 220 power available, the Griz is, IMHO, the better value.

Good Luck.

Hi Hank - Both nice machines, but fit different situations. If the price difference is small and you have 220v, it's a no brainer IMHO. Even though I'm a very happy owner of a 22124 and it's doing everything I've asked with relative ease, if these two saws were close in price I'd have bought a 1023SL over the Sears. It's just a heftier machine with a more industrial design.

The 22124 is aimed pretty squarely at the home shops...especially those restricted to 110v. I consider the 22124 to be more along the lines of a hybrid duty saw even though it has cabinet mounted trunnions. For anyone on the fence between the 22124 and a good contractor saw, I think the advantages of the 22124 swing heavily in it's favor...it feels alot more like a full cabinet saw than any contractor saw I've used....probably something to do with weight (425#). About the only advantages on the 22124 over the 1023SL or 1023SLX are the blade, and possibly a very slight edge in the fence b/c of the laminate faces vs the UHMW plastic. The outfeed table is nice but not a big deal, same for the laminate extension, the miter fence is nice but the gauge is not on par with a precision aftermarket gauge so it's really a moot point. I like the paddle on the off switch. The splitter and guard is easy to take on and off, but I don't like the guard. DC should be comparable. The basic 1023 does not include the motor cover.

FWIW, the 22124 is supposed to be on sale this W/E for ~ $800. The price swing if you include a comparable blade is about $250 at sale prices.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 12-15-2005 at 4:23 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Hank, Scott Spencer posted similar info when I was comparing the two saws. It was his post that promoted me to go to Sears and check out their saw. (Thanks Scott) His description of the pros/cons is dead on. I choose the Griz but was sure either saw would work just fine. The 22124 was far better than the Delta Hybrid IMHO.

About the motor guard. I have heard others say it is an option...and it is offered as an option on their accessories list. But it specifically states "includes motor guard" on the 1023 catalog page. I suspect that it USED to be an option but is included now....but don't know this for sure.

I've owned the a 1023 Griz for 3 years now and have had no prolems or issues..... great saw

One more for the grizz. I've had the 1023SL for 3yrs now. Would by it again.

Grizz 1023 was my choice earlier this year and I would recommend it to anyone.
    The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything. ~Edward Phelps

I have the Griz and love it. Great saw
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good