Thread: Nail Gun Help

Nail Gun Help

Help!, Need input, and clarification.

I do a lot of projects around the house in all areas, and have wanted some basic nail guns for some time but have never chose to buy any because of cost and not knowing what I really needed/wanted. I have saved a little bundle, and my wife and I are going to do some remodling on our house, barn/shed, and garage. I am going to give her nail gun/s for Christmas so we can start in '06. Now I have been reading a lot on different nail guns, and right when I think I have a bead on it I am second guessing some things. I have stumbled across your forum and found it to be better than most other info. So with all that being said here is what I need, the basics. PLEASE list the basic usages between nail guns, Framing, Finishig, and Brad. Although this may sound silly I want to make sure I am seeing things correct. Also good solid brand/models you may recommend. I am not cheap but do not want to spend a lot if it is not needed. These tools will be used a lot as all my others are, so I want depenablity, but I am not a contractor. I already have a good compressor so that is not an issue. I just bought a Craftsman Finishing nailer (18176) but have not opened it. Please give clarification on specific type uses, and sugessted guns, all levels.

Thanks for your help,

Casey

Uses

It may be better if you gave us some more information as to what your uses will include. Will you be doing roofing, framing, interior trim work, molding, etc? That will make it easier for us to help you. Thanks, Bill

in my opinion, based on your post three guns will suit your needs and serve you well; 1)a paslode "stick" nailer for framing,2) a senco 15ga angled magizine trim nailer (sfn40?) 3) a senco finish pro 25 18ga brad nailer. none of these are inexpensive but they are well made and parts are widely available plus they hold their value should you decide to sell. .02 tod

I plan on doing some framing, siding, cabinets, bookshelfs, moulding, a little of everything except roofing. Need good starter set of guns with as few as possible.

Hope that helps

Casey

Casey, I would go with a framing gun. I have the Bostitch, and it works great. But I am sure that paslode, p-c or any of the others will be fine. I paid $189 on sale at Menards. Make sure to get one with a toenail head, but maybe they all come with those now days. Go with a 16 gauge, 1"-2.5" finish nailer. It offers a little more flexibility, if you are only going to buy one gun, that can be used for trim and cabinetry (fastening plywood backs is the only place that I use a gun in cabinetry), and some molding. If you can, also get a 1/4" stapler. I really like the 1/4" crown stapler 1/2"-1.5" staple lengths. I have found unlimited uses for it. I use it now to fasten all of my plywood backs on cabinets.These guns will serve your purposes well for a long time. You can add the other guns as you need them. As far as siding goes, I would just hammer and nail it. I don't do enough to justify buying a siding gun. Besides siding goes up quick even without the gun.

I have the 15ga P-C and I have found that I don't use it that often, instead I turn to the 16ga finish or 18ga brad . When you are ready to buy another gun, The 23ga pin nailer is nice, but I have found that I don't use it as much as I thought I would. If you are going to do any roofing, buy one when you need it, they are well worth the money. I hope this helps your decision. Bill

Thanks for the help so far guys. I have couple of other questions. What specific uses do you use a brad nailer for? Also someone talked me into getting a Craftsman Finishing nailer (18176). They told me it was good and it was on sale. I have not opened it or used it and if its questionable I would like to return it and get whats best. Any feedback?

Thanks again,

Casey

Casey - I have several Porter Cable (PC) nail guns, and have used many of the PC guns made on home remodeling projects. You will get the reliability you want from PC guns, at a reasonable price. Based on your posts, I would:

1. Return the Craftsman gun.
    2. Buy a PC framing nailer.
    3. Buy a PC finish nailer - I prefer the 15 gauge angled nailer, or a 16 gauge is an alternative.
    4. Buy an 18 gauge brad nailer.

If you need a compressor, there is a kit available from PC that combines a small, "pancake" compressor and two nailers, usually a 16 gauge and an 18 gauge. Sometimes you can find a stapler thrown in for free, too.

As to uses:

The framing nailer is the tool for building walls and working with 2X materials. It shoots long nails with a head.

The finish nailer is used typically for installing moldiing and trim, including crown molding. It shoots a finish nail (15 gauge) or a headless brad (16 gauge) up to 2-1/2 inches long.

The 18 gauge brad nailer is used for attaching small molding or trim, typically on furniture or cabinets. A pin nailer (23 gauge) can also be used for these applications. I limit 18 gauge brads to about 1-1/2 inches, since the brads tend to follow the grain of the material and bend easily.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Casey, I also have had good results from the PC guns for the past year, and in addition to what's already been mentioned above, I would suggest that when you purchase the Framing nailer, be sure that it is one that shoots the "Round Head Nails". "Some Permit Authorities" will not approve the "clipped head nails" where construction requires a permit. I use the Round Head PC Framing Gun and have had good results with it, but I'm sure there are others that also are good guns.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

What are the pros and cons on the angle guns?

Thanks,

Casey

Casey, I bought a year ago the PC combo with the 16 ga finish nailer, 18 guage brad nailer and the 1 inch crown stapler. Best investment I have ever made. I have remodeled my bathroom, bedroom and and living room, done all the rough in of doors and done all the trim work, used them in building my new shop cabs etc. They have been great!! I would love to have a framing nailer for outdoor work as well and i plan on adding a pin nailer to the nailer collection. Some time I will have to get a good compressor that doesn't empty itself in seconds when you use it for something other than nailing, but that is what the PC combo is for.
    Corey

11. [quote=Norman Hitt]Casey, I would suggest that when you purchase the Framing nailer, be sure that it is one that shoots the "Round Head Nails". "Some Permit Authorities" will not approve the "clipped head nails" where construction requires a permit.

Good Point Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Niland
    What are the pros and cons on the angle guns?

Thanks,

Casey
    The 15 gauge gun shoots finish nails, and the 16 gauge gun shoots headless brads (even though they are called finish nailers). With the larger gauge nail with a head, the 15 gauge will have more holding power, which may or may not be important. The 15 gauge leaves a noticeably bigger hole to fill. The angled design allows the nailer to get into tighter spaces, like corners.
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

the fingers on my left hand cringe at the mention of 16ga nailers! personally i have been bitten by more 16ga nails curling back than any other gauge of nail. most 16ga are of the "t" nail configuration whereas the 15ga are full round shank. only my experiences.....tod