Thread: Enamel

Question Enamel

I think I am going to have to finish a project with white enamel. I believe the surrounding kitchen cabinets are done this way. The finish is hard and glossy. They want a desk to match. Is there an enamel product that can be sprayed with an HVLP gun? I've tried latex enamel in the past and my gun barely handles it.
    If sawdust were gold, I'd be rich!

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Byron - have you tought about using a colored sprayed lacquer? I used Target USL for a vanity and it was a dream to spray. I was going to spray latex for some doors I'm working on but due to our lovely December weather I'm brushing it on in the heated shop.

Mike

byron, go with lacquer, not as durable but doesn`t take 12-24 hrs per coat to dry,goes on easy and is easily repaired. .02 tod

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Byron - have you tought about using a colored sprayed lacquer? I used Target USL for a vanity and it was a dream to spray. I was going to spray latex for some doors I'm working on but due to our lovely December weather I'm brushing it on in the heated shop.

Mike
    Mike I use that product almost exclusively. I didn't know it could be colored. What do I look for on their site? Thanks for the tip.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Enamel

The gloss white Rustoleum oil based "Industrial Enamel" sprays surprisingly well and dries to a high gloss hard finish. I also used the black on my son's fiberglas truck bed shell and it worked great.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

When I need colored lacquer, say white, I use Sherwin Williams. Needs to be thinned about 50% to run in HVLP guns, or at least in my guns.

Call Homestead Finishing. Jeff has it.

benjamin moore's new waterbased satin impervo sprays pretty well. just thin 20% and add some floetrol (but I'm using a 4-stage turbine gun). it's what I've started to use when I need to match color for built-in work now that we can't buy oil based products in Northern Virginia.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mann
    now that we can't buy oil based products in Northern Virginia.
    Chris, you're kidding. Unless I haven't been paying attention, we can buy oil based paint here in Fredericksburg.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Chris - I've bought oil based at Duron in the past year. I also remember seeing oil based at HD a month ago. It may be the individual stores you are going to in Arlington have stopped carrying it due to decreased demand.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Gabbay
    Chris - I've bought oil based at Duron in the past year. I also remember seeing oil based at HD a month ago. It may be the individual stores you are going to in Arlington have stopped carrying it due to decreased demand.

Mike
    That sounds reasonable.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1

Here is what I do...

Howdy, Byron. Wife has her eye on the six-needle embroidery machine, but that’s another story.
    HVLP and spraying alkyd enamel. Here’s what to expect. It does a great job, but you’ll need to reduce your enamel about twenty to forty percent and use three to four coats since the paint will be thin. Under normal conditions, you can respray in about twelve hours, but overnight is best. However, spraying will effect the sheen of the enamel. So, if you brush some and spray others, the sheen will be flatter when you spray. Enamel loses some of its gloss when atomized. The best application for spraying alkyd paint is the airless, with a fine finish tip. Thinning of paint using an airless is minimal, about five percent, and, two coats will usually be sufficient. A hint on reducers; When using alkyd whites, do not use Penetrol. Use Penetrol only when brushing, and only with colored enamels. Use paint thinner for reducing when spraying all alkyd whites and colors. When using latex paints, Floetrol allows latex enamels to flow much more smoothly when rolling and brushing. It can be used in all whites and colors. It does little, if anything, when spraying latex paints. It is, after all, an extender, not a reducer. And, for those who don’t know me, I never use latex enamel on any interior woodwork. I don’t care who is peddling the product; oil enamel is superior in looks, durability, and application. Also, when using a HVLP, there is overspray. Not like using a siphon gun, but there is overspray, so be prepared. Hope I’ve helped than confused you. Phil.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Byron Trantham
    Mike I use that product almost exclusively. I didn't know it could be colored. What do I look for on their site?
    Target sells matte white and matte black USL in gallons...my kitchen cabinets were done with the previous PSL version in 2003. Just top coat with the clear in the sheen you prefer. The USL can also be tinted other colors (the PSL couldn't) in case that is important. If you like this finish and are comfortable with it, use it. I have had zero durablity issues in my kitchen...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nope, it's a regulatory action. Put in affect Jan 05. In Northern Virginia, DC, Maryland and many other north east coast states you can no longer sell oil based paint in quantities larger than a quart. Fredricksburg is not in a county considered part of Northern Virginia. I would assume Herndon is though.
    a quick google
    http://www.looksmarthomeimprovement....6/ai_n13809122

Hasn't really affected me since I've been switching to water based products anyhow. But when I'm trying to match trim, I'm used to matching at the local paint store. How quickly/easily can target color match? I've only used their water based shellac and clear coats.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Mann
    Fredericksburg is not in a county considered part of Northern Virginia.
    Well!! I never! What are you trying to say - hicksville? I'm with you, I buy most of my finish materials from Target Coatings. this thread has really helped me. I did confirm that I can get tints for the WB lacquer I usually use. this has opened up a whole new area of COLOR.

Byron Trantham
    Fredericksburg, VA
    WUD WKR1