Thread: STOP THE WORLD----! w/pics)

STOP THE WORLD----! w/pics)

or least turn the clock back a couple of weeks!! I have two Christmas presents that will NEVER get done on time as you will see.

I have an excuse, though. I have a cousin who is moving back to northern Wisconsin after his family left for California about forty-five years ago. Do you have ANY idea what it takes to get a "Cheesehead Card", even a temporary one, for a California person trying to reenter "God's Country"? For the past two weeks, I have been on the phone 24/7 with the "relevant" authorities. These include, but are not limited to; Immigration Agencies, Homeland Security Brass, the FBI, the CIA, the KGB, M-5, the DEA, the Bureau of ATF, the ICC, the CDC, all of our local SWAT teams, the State Police, the County Sheriff, the Peshtigo Police Chief, local bank officials and the local animal shelter. WHEW!!

Anyway, the first three pics show what will eventually be a printer/scanner cabinet for my daughter. When I try to explain my Christmas dilema to her, all I get in reply is, "But DAAAAAD!". NOBODY understands me!

The cabinet will have two large pull-out shelves; one for the scanner and the other as a general desktop. It will also have three 4" drawers and a file drawer. The better part of one side will have "bins" for paper storage. She is also DEMANDING some addition doodads that I haven't even figured out how to make - yet!

The pile of raised panels are the "replacements" that I had to make for the ones that I machined from a "cupped" board when one of my two brain cells "flamed out" a few days ago.

Now, for the technical questions: YES! The drawers WILL have bottoms - if I can find my melamine hardboard somewhere. NO! The duct tape is NOT the final attachment system for my joints. After I have finished and sanded (or is it sanded and finished) the assemblies, the duct tape will be replaced by TRANSPARENT shipping tape. That stuff is virtually invisible from a distance of three miles. YES! The visible knots will be retied in a more sailor-like manner. YES! The thumb tacks inserted in the pocket holes will be replaced by much longer paper clips bent to fit in a precision manner.

The last two pics show my progress on a Lego table for the grandkids. According to their UNDERSTANDING parents, this table is an absolutely, positively MUST HAVE Christmas gift! HEH! HEH! They did not designate the YEAR!! Anyway the "sticks will eventually be four 18" turned and threaded legs and the four 4" sides will be routed with the names of the four family "kids": JOSIAH(2), ALIYAH(1), INDY(4-their Aussie who attacks me incessantly) and, of course, DAD(?)! I also have to dig out some plywood and Formica for the top.

There! And you thought that YOU had problems! Just as last year, I decided to end it all by diving off the end of my dock. You guessed it! I landed right on my head in some pretty hard water that some refer to as ice! Since I landed smack on my head, there was, obviously, no physical or mechanical damage - except to the ice!

PEACE ON EARTH AND GOOD WILL TO ALL!!

Dale T.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

LOL! Dale, you have got to be the most "verbally talented" woodworker we have at the 'Creek. You can make even a lowly printer stand sound like fun! Your daughter is lucky to be able to say, "But, Daaaaaaaaddddddddd!" a lot!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

DAAAAAAD you just don't understand. I want it today not after Christmas. You got your work cut out for ya there Dale. But you got a great start.

Jim

You might want to leave the tape where it is and put it all together. Then when it falls apart as she tests the drawers, you can slap your forehead and say "I knew I forgot something!" Then take it back to the shop with the prediction of "just a couple days to fix." You then have till memorial day to get it done.

Now, any self respecting, blue-blooded, genuine, certified A-1 Cheesehead already knows that duck tape is necessary for all those joints! BUT, you mean to tell me you take it off at some point in time??? I'm confused... And what's this about replacing it with some sort of clear stuff???? Dale, I'm thinking you need to go back to Cheesehead school! Oh, and if'n you run out of drawer bottom material, I've got some extra cardboard left over my last drawer project, which you're welcome to! Other than that, it looks like you're doing pretty good. Carry on.
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Dale,

I'm sure she'll love the printer cabinet kit you made - just type up some assembly instructions! Good Luck.
    Maybe you could dress Spring up as an elf and work him 24 hours a day ...

Dave Fried
    Last edited by David Fried; 12-16-2005 at 10:51 PM.

Cardboard!!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    Oh, and if'n you run out of drawer bottom material, I've got some extra cardboard left over my last drawer project, which you're welcome to!:
    Hey Spring!
    WOW!! CARDBOARD!!! I never even THOUGHT of that! I don't want to be a beggar and deplete your supply of durable construction materials. Do you have a RELIABLE source like on eBay or Amazon? Do you recommend the wet stuff or the dry stuff?

You're the "Mod", man. It's no wonder that I have come to expect soooo much from you!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

Dale - Red Green would, if he could, roll over in his grave if he ever heard you refer to Duct Tape as temporary. Especially if it's gonna be replaced by some cheep imitation petroleum based commodity from an office supply store.

Thank god Harold, Edgar, and Dalton stapled his funeral clothes to the bottom of the casket in anticipation of just such an event.
    Only the Blue Roads

I have a solution for your dilema, Pesh.

Could you not explain that instead of making something this year you decided to share the joy of "some assembly required" and the items are from "IKEA".

The whole family could then enjoy the fun of Christmas morning assembly around a fire.

I mean, why should you have all the fun.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

Dale...you sure have a way with words my friend!! Good luck with your projects!

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Thompson
    Hey Spring!
    WOW!! CARDBOARD!!! I never even THOUGHT of that! I don't want to be a beggar and deplete your supply of durable construction materials. Do you have a RELIABLE source like on eBay or Amazon? Do you recommend the wet stuff or the dry stuff?

You're the "Mod", man. It's no wonder that I have come to expect soooo much from you!

Dale T.
    Oh, come now Pesh! You know well and good that I'm too cheap to actually buy that material anywhere! Come on, man...Get a grip! This is Wisconsin, after all. You can't hardly swing a cat around your head by its tale without hitting a liquor store! Your local liquor store, or actually behind the liquor store, has an abundant supply of the material, usually in several strengths. If you're lucky, you can even find some with some neat plasticy laminations, advertising the contents of what had previously occupied the container. That way, you don't even have to buy that expensive sticky shelving paper to put in the bottom of the drawer to help protect them!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by David Fried
    Dale,

Maybe you could dress Spring up as an elf and work him 24 hours a day ...

Dave Fried
    Dave,
    I ain't dressin' Spring!! What if he's not wearin' underwear? Anyway, who needs to dress him up??

Secondly, getting 24 hours of work out of him may take until Spring "springs" for it!! Those 8" leather cushions on the corner office swivel chairs where Moderators prey on us can get comfortable -- REAL fast!!

Dale T.