Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Secret Finish

My Secret Finish

Ok...I think I have experimented enough with this stuff so it's time to reveal the recipe. I first started using straight Shellac and that was too unmanageable so I moved to thinning it a tad with DNA...That helped a little but it seemed to dry too fast. So then I added BLO and that helped on the drying issue...plus it gave a richer finish. Then, last week, I was puddling around in the finishes at Sears and found some Minwax antique oil finish and after trying it a couple times, I was ready to throw it in the trash....But it had a new ingredient (Linseed Alkyd Resin) so I decided to throw that into the mix. Viola!! Just hand rub it in and it dries as you are rubbing it...evenly, smoothly...conservatively glossy. Very nice to touch.

Tablespoon of Shellac
    Teaspoon of Antique Oil Finish (Clear)
    Teaspoon of BLO
    Teaspoon of DNA

Stir well. Dip a rag in it and rub rapidly into the wood. You can spot finish so you don't really have to do the whole thing at once. It blends perfectly.
    If you're doing pens, just shut off the lathe and turn it by hand while applying the finish in a back and forth motion.

That's it. Anyone already come up with this one?
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

John - What's the cut on the shellac?
    Only the Blue Roads

I forgot to post pics!!!

Here's the stuff I use. I'm sure it can be substituted for any number of things.

Andy...I don't know what the cut is. I just bought it at HD premixed. I don't care for it much but it's all I have right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (102.9 KB, 277 views)
    ~john

Might have to try this recipe out. I got this image of you in your shop with a lab coat on surrounded by boiling beakers and a mad laugh after discovering the recipe.

It'd probably say somewhere right on the can.

Also - sounds like you're mixing single use batches. I wonder if it would stiffen up too fast if you mixed up (say) a pint for use all weekend long?
    Only the Blue Roads

You got the mad laugh part right Loy!!! Well...it's more of a chuckle followed by a cough

Andy - It's a 3 Lb cut. I suppose it would be ok over a weekend if it was sealed real good.
    ~john

I tried the Antique Oil Finish years ago on furniture but never liked it. I can't even remember why, now, but I probably still have the can in my paint shelves! Totally dried out I'm sure.

I've used the 1/3 each of BLO, DNA, and Shellac but sort of gave up on it because it never seemed to work well on anything but very small things like pens, etc. Try a bigger surface and it get's very uneven.

Do you think the Antique Oil Finish makes it go on more even? What was the main difference once you added it? Maybe I'll give it a try.

Earl

I'm calling the Environmental Protection Agency...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton
    I'm calling the Environmental Protection Agency...
    Bring 'em on baby!!!! They'll never get out of the house alive! heh heh heh..cough

Earl - As crappy as the Antique Oil Finish is as a stand alone, it made a huge difference in the behavior of the cocktail. I liked the 3 part mix ok but there was something that just didnt turn me on about it.... Adding the new ingredient made it pleasureable to finish. I have to make a Cue Stick Rack this weekend...I'll try it out on that.
    ~john

Kidding aside John, how well does the shellac mix with the oil-based components? I have never thought to mix BLO or the antique oil mix (which I understand is really varnish and polyurethane mixed together) with shellac. I know that BLO has been added to paints forever to improve there ability to flow and I could see how it being added to the antique oil mix might be a natural consideration but, I am having a little trouble getting my head around the shellac part. I am just wondering how the film building qualities of the shellac interact with the properties of the varnish and polyurethane. Also, as best as you can tell John, does this formula remain a "mixture" or does it appear to go through a chemical reaction (recognized by the production of heat or a change in physical appearance)? Better woodworking through chemistry!

Great question Chris. This has been at the forefront of my mind throughout this process. I'm not experiencing any heat generation so I think the molecular bonding might be minimal. However, that said, each of the components behave differently on their own so there must be some reaction taking place rather than just a mix. When this stuff is left overnight, the BLO tends to separate out and fall to the bottom leaving a "skin" formation on the top... This suggests that the BLO is simply a vehicle and the remaining ingredients are the ones reacting. Maybe the alcohol is assisting in bonding the Antique Oil to the shellac. There's something going on there......Just not sure what.
    ~john

John,
    Since everyones DNA is different....should I use yours...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Extra, Extra!!!

An Ohio man experiments with secret formula. His wife said "I thought I smelled something funny coming from the basement, my husband said, this is going to be the "miracle finish", and will create a big entrance for all the turning world to see.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    John,
    Since everyones DNA is different....should I use yours...
    I recently tried adding some of my DNA to a project. Trust me, it doesn't work well.

Hmm, verrrrrry interesting, John!
    I really like friction polishes, as far as application goes. Very easy and quick, no extended drying/curing time. But they're not very durable. I have been looking all over for a finish that doesn't look like plastic, but will hold up to water, alcohol, etc. for kitchen ware, especially bottle stoppers. This looks like it might be it! I'll try some today on a stopper, put it to use over the holidays, and see how it goes.
    You just might have stumbled onto something here.
    Thanks a lot for sharing your research!