Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New M-Power Sharpening System

New M-Power Sharpening System

Woodworkers Supply has a new sharpening system in the Christmas 2005 catalog. It is called M-Power Precision Sharpening System, Catalog #142-637.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=142-637

The tool to be sharpened is held stationary in a cast aluminum jig. The diamond stones are mounted on a second jig. This second jig is moved back and forth along a guide (on the first jig) parallel to the end of the blade being sharpened. It can sharpen to angles of either 25 or 30 degrees.

It comes with diamond stones with grits of 180, 400 and 600. The stones are held in place magnetically so they can be easily changed.

Has anyone had any experience with this system?

The design makes sense to me. It might be particularly useful for touching up the edges. You would probably want to use scary-sharp or some other approach to flatten the back of the chisel/blade and to establish the basic shape of the cutting edge.

Dale Critchlow
    Last edited by Dale Critchlow; 12-17-2005 at 11:10 AM.

Link doesn't show item.

3. I found it at http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...73589009057--1

This is interesting to me ... seems like you would have less chance of rounding off the edges of chisels by sharpening across the face of the bevel rather than pushing the edge of the bevel back and forth on the sharpening surface (stone or sandpaper).

Do diamond stones last for quite a while? Nothing's "forever", but it seems to me they should last a long time.

Correct address

I edited my original note with the correct link.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...ARTNUM=142-637

I see that Frank found the right address. Thanks Frank.

Dale Critchlow

Diamond stones

Frank: I have a diamond stone which I have been using for 10 or 15 years to sharpen router bits, etc. It has shown no sign of wear. I do have to clean it with a solvent once in a while.

Dale Critchlow

This looks like a nice way to set a bevel quickly but I'm looking in the pictures for something that will keep the blade square to the stone and I don't see anything. The system would be great if it provides a means to keep it square but if you have to do that by hand, I think they need to do some more engineering. Overall a good idea though.

Blade alignment

Brett: My understanding is that the blade is up against a stop on the left side of the bottom jig. It is difficult to see since the jig is a casting with a coating of some sort so the corners are rounded. Note that his left thumb is pushing the blade to the left and the palm of his left hand is holding it down.

It seems to me that it would be very reproducible.

Dale

More complete description of M-Power sharpening system

The following link has a much more complete description of the sharpening system.

http://www.m-powertools.com/products/pss1/pss1.htm

The more I read about it the better it looks. It is a very logical approach. I am seriously considering giving it a try.

Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Critchlow
    Brett: My understanding is that the blade is up against a stop on the left side of the bottom jig. It is difficult to see since the jig is a casting with a coating of some sort so the corners are rounded. Note that his left thumb is pushing the blade to the left and the palm of his left hand is holding it down.

It seems to me that it would be very reproducible.

Dale
    Also said it is held by magnet.I would give it a go if I didn't have a Tormek.
    .. If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

10. I decided to try it ... bought it from Hartville Tool (I've done business with them in the past, and like their stuff, so thought I would buy from them). I'll give a review of it when I get it.

I'm a failure at sharpening things, so keep that in mind in case I don't like it.

I didn't see it anywhere else besides woodworker.com and hartvilletool.com, and the price was the same at both places (although Hartville Tool does have the extra diamond hones at a dollar cheaper than Woodworker.com).

I wonder if you could attach wet/dry sandpaper to a metal plate and replace the stock diamond stones? Then you could go all the way up to 2000 grit.

There has got to be a catch, it just seems to easy and logical.

Someone report please.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”

12. Quote Originally Posted by Mike Circo
    I wonder if you could attach wet/dry sandpaper to a metal plate and replace the stock diamond stones? Then you could go all the way up to 2000 grit.

There has got to be a catch, it just seems to easy and logical.

Someone report please.
    I'll try that when I get it. I didn't see finer diamond stones; they do have a coarser grit. The tool is made in England, so perhaps there are other diamond stones that are designed for the thing.

Frank

I look forward to your thoughts/observations on the sharpening capabilities.

Jay

14. Quote Originally Posted by Jay Knoll
    Frank

I look forward to your thoughts/observations on the sharpening capabilities.

Jay
    I got word that it shipped today, so I should know in about 5 days!

15. Well, I'm disappointed with it, but it might be my mood. I'll take another look tomorrow.

First, I'll say that I can't sharpen a thing. I'm horrible at Scary Sharp, even with a $28 jig, $40 worth of sandpaper with 8 different grits, and some very expensive absolutely flat granite (well, OK, the granite was for the house, but at those prices, I kept all the offcuts!) I have never been able to make an edge sharp enough to cut hair off the back of my hands, as attested to by the hairy nature of my hands. Its the main reason I won't go to woodworking shows ... all those nice fellas in their plaid shirts with patches of hair shaved off their hands and arms.

The jig certainly looks nice, with the base, blue aluminum extrusion that gives you 25 and 30 degree angles, three diamond stones and a little instruction booklet. I suspect this would be great for someone tired of the excellent results they get from Scary Sharp, because it does have a few advantages.

The stones are held in by magnets, and it works surprisingly well. The jig fits by sliding in dovetail keyways. There is even a larger base of diamond grit that is intended for you to flatten the backs of the chisels or irons (see the next message for my take on this feature). The main advantage over a rolling jig and the Scary Sharp method is that you can quickly jam another chisel or plane iron in the jig, move the blue aluminum extrusion back and forth, and wear away some of that expensive tool steel. No fiddling with a rolling jig, and measuring how far the cutting edge protrudes.

There is a very small learning curve to keep the tool jammed up against the sliding aluminum extrusion holding the stone, and keeping that extrusion with slight tension toward the non-tool side of the dove tail keyway (there's a bit of slop they warn you about). And the diamond stones do grind away the steel faster than sandpaper.

For that reason, I'll probably keep it. Its at least as horrible as my rolling jig and sandpaper. But it fails at flattening the backs of things, so I'll keep my piece of granite handy. And I guess I will never reach the holy grail of being able to cut a hair off the back of my hand with a tool that I have sharpened.
    Attached Images Attached Images