Thread: As you get older you'd better develop....

Red face As you get older you'd better develop....

a sense of humor about yourself or you could live an AWFUL(ly) LONG time!

When I built my retirement shop...my cash hole.....I purposely installed an 10' insulated garage door knowing full well I'd want to pull a vehicle into to it to work on them during our Idaho winters. I just recently installed gas heat in there.

Being remote service engineers, my counterpart and I cover an area about 120 miles by 120 miles northern Idaho. We service x-ray equipment, MR and CT scanners. As you might imagine, we carry quite an amount of test equipments, tools, documentation, laptop computer, and some generic spare parts. 3 weeks ago our new company mini-vans delivered to a local dealer. We've been so busy, that in the last two weeks I've tried to take some vacation that I'll lose if I dont' use it before the end of the year. Both times my partner got so swamped that he had to call me and I had to go to work. Last week he found time to pickup his new Chrysler Town and Country. Mine was sitting next to his and mine is still there. I consume an unbelieveable amount of coffee, often while driving through the mountains and valleys here. In the course of 6 years I've spilled a fair amount of coffee in the area between the two front seats of my Ford Windstar. Today I decided to ship out all unnecesary parts and back my van into the shop....let it thaw out overnight, unload it in the heated shop; vacuumn and scrub the carpets. Let it dry tomorrow night and Monday, turn it in and pickup my new T&C..........

I went out to the shop........

Swept the floor.................

Went to open the overhead door.........

Can you see this coming?............

Yup....I'd cut and screwed the 1/2 plywood on the wall/header above the door.....it makes a real tight seal.....but you can't raise the door!

The only piece of advice I'm qualified to give anyone......

As you get older ...you'd better develop a sense of humor about yourself or you could live an AWFUL(ly) LONG time!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yea Ken, I guess things like that happen when you get waaaaaaay up there in the years.

Nothing like that's ever happened to me. And no, you can't ask my family either.

Ernie

Look at this as a sign from above...your shop is a shop and not meant for any vehilcles!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Look at this as a sign from above...your shop is a shop and not meant for any vehilcles!!
    LOL!!!! I couldn't agree more.!!!!

Now Ken....grab some coffee and sit in the warm shop and ponder your solution. You'll think better with some coffee in your hands.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I feel for you, but will trade you problems, I have a sliding barn style door to mine, stacked a cord of wood on the other side THINKING that I had left enough room for the door to slide behind it. I missed the one log on the BOTTOM that was sticking out about an inch to far. That will teach me to think It must be an age thing cause I know I would have never done something that stupid when I was a youngster
    Your not alone!
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Thumbs up Recovery complete

It's amazing what you can do with a circular saw and a straight edge! I proudly announce that I've recovered from my previous error and the door now opens!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken, my first thought when I saw your original post was "he makes the discovery while standing in the shop...surrounded by tools...I'm sure there's something in that shop that can turn 1/2" ply into dust". Looks like you found that something.

Makes me wonder how long it'd take me to figure out I was surrounded by the solution.

- Vaughn

Awesome!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

As you get older you'd better develop....

Sounds like something Red Green would do. I love that program but try not to imitate his antics.

http://www.redgreen.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Too funny Ken....Though you should have left well enough alone...(Ref: Jim Becker's post)
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson