Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Saint Oliver

Old Saint Oliver

Thought some of the Olive people might like to see what i got myself for christmas and somting i riged on my bandsaw to help The Eyes. The saw is a 232-D. I will be changing the color this summer .
    The mag. light is there to help with the cutting to lines after I had eyes operated on this year. Tey are still healing and I couldn't wait to get back into the shop. Tey sould be healed in a few more months.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice gloat Reg. I did almost the same thing to my bandsaw and scrollsaw. Looking good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice catch Reg! Looks ready to go to work. Did you get a miter guage with that? And, what's the serial nbr/build year?
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Reg, you talk about your eyes... If that were my shop I'd be painting the walls. White walls would be a lot brighter and easier on my eyes than that light-eating grey brick.

Yes Art, I know and i do plan on doing that this summer. The shop is "in progress" at the time being.
    Bill the serial # is 75230 and unforuntally I didn't get a miter gage with the saw. It's a # 2 and I have been told the harder ones to find. It has been in storage since 1985 in an aircraft manufactoring plant. When i got the crate it had shingles on top, i assume, to keep any water from getting to the saw in case of a leak. It dose run but I have to get a converter to run 3 phase power first, and as i said I want to paint it too so I am in no real big hurry. Actually i am but if i keep lieing to myself I can sleep at night.

Yeah Baby! Now that is a table saw. Looks like an oliver 232, aka The UniKiller.

When its time to change out of those awful pea green clothing, check out the mothership under oliver. (www.owwm.com). One of the guys had a professional paint match done using Dupont Imron that matches the original color. The formula for Imron is listed.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Hey Dev,
    Glad you like it. Yea that pea green is such a nasty looking suit. Reminds me of a tree frog . I was suprised at how well everything was laid out on this baby. Oil cups greese fitting for bearings. My Brother inlaw cam by today and was curious as to the "new " addition. He said " I thought you had a good saw" I just smiled and said " I do now "
    This is one sweet looking machine. I have to take the top off to see the motor and start working to get it ready to paint. I will look at the OWWM link and get some of the paint. Dose it come in a spray can hopefully

I dont think so. Its automotive paint so its very durable. The formula was posted by Chuck Hess from the islands... check out some of his OWWM postings. S-I-C-K

This guy writes down Oliver in the blank titled Religion!

Reg, the serial nbr matches a 1950 build date. There was a #2 miter guage on e*ay recently. It went for about $200 if I recall correctly.

Nice saw! Enjoy.
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

yes thats what i've been told Bill. If you see another give me a heads up. I talked to a guy and he said the blad guard went for about $300
    Dev do your eat sleep and breath thes odl machines , seems you are quiet knoledgable about them. Not giveing you a hard time just saying thanks

oh boy another iron head ...
    congratulations on the 232. I think you are going to like the oliver. the direct drive is pretty sweet.
    best wishes

lou

Reg,
    I can't speak to the type of paint, but my used tool dealer stocks the Oliver teal, in spray cans. He has it specially made.
    The 232 is a very nice small saw. Actually, it is not small at all, of course, but I think it was the smallest of the Oliver line. Congrats. Good score.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

Alan you must deal with Bill Kerfoot -- what a great guy! I have used his Oliver Teal and it is a very close match to the original. (BTW, have you seen his Hopewell vice?)
    Bill Simmeth
    Delaplane VA

Yaba Dabba Doooooo.......

I am an old dog whom you cannt teach new tricks to..... but if you could, this would be the standard by which all vise-olgy would be measured. I am an old dog because I use an old kindt collins version of this vise. This one is new and improved.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You want to be checking the safety data sheet on Imron - it's not for the spray can painter.

I've seen a few 232's over the years but never was tempted to drag one home.

Dev, do you get excited about all Oliver stuff? How about the Oliver 585 sharpening center?
    Work safe, have fun, enjoy the sport.
    Remember that a guy never has to come down out of the clouds if he keeps filling the valleys with peaks. Steve