Thread: Ridgid 12" SCMS

Ridgid 12" SCMS

Anybody out there have the Ridgid 12" SCMS? I think the number is something like MS1290LZ. Been looking at getting a nice big slider; haven't heard much about this one, good or bad.

Thanks,

Monte

Monte:

My HF 12" SCMS cost about $180, and is a pretty good copy of the DeWalt.

It sits on a Ridgid mobile stand and has become the "most requested" loaner tool in my neighborhood.

You might want to check out the new "zero clearance" model from Ryobi? Hitachi?. It has fixed rails so there is no protrusion to the rear.

BILL FIELDS

Monte...do a search using Ridgid SCMS as the search words and you can see some other threads where the saw was discussed.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,

Actually I did that first... results were kinda lean, which is why I asked Seemed like most of the discussion involving 'Ridgid' and 'SCMS' or anything similar primarily revolves around the MSUV table, and secondly on the Ridgid/HD warranty (1yr/3yr/lifetime/whatever). Not a lot on the actual saw itself... some, but not a lot.

Startin' to wonder if I should take that as a hint

Brian has one...maybe he'll chime in on it.

I sure like the new DW....it has a two step fence design that when you raise the wood to the level of the back fence and remove the wings, you can cut 16"!!!!

The normal capacity without doing that is a whoppin' 14"! Not only that but they have redesigned those silly vertically stacked rails and gone back to the parallel horizontal design. I'll be gettin' this one when it's time to replace my Makita.

Ridgid SCMS

I have had mine for almost two years. Previous to that had a Craftsman Radial Saw that I had load of trouble keeping it in alignment. Not so with the Ridgid.

One in awhile I recheck the alignments and so fat have never had to redo it. The laser takes a little bit of use to get the kanck of it but frankly, I seldom use it anymore.

The only glitch I noticed is that occasionaly the saw does not retract up. But blowing out the accumulated dust and a little WD40 restores it.

I was originally going with the Delta but Ridgid does offer promotions once in awhile and I think I got this one from Home Depot for the retail price less 10% and a $75 gift card.

I like but like I said, my expereince is limited.

Jerry...I'd stop using WD-40. It actually attracts dust/sawdust and can cause binding when used on moving parts over a short time. For stuff like sticky door handles on cars, us motorheads use Lithium grease. This is what I use on my SCMS after cleaning with brake cleaner (fastest cleanup you'll ever do). The brake cleaner dries dry as a bone in seconds and the lithium grease coats everything and makes it smooth as silk.

Alright, thanks for the feedback guys. Just wanted to make sure it isn't a complete lemon, in case I happen to pick up a couple HD gift cards from Santa

FWIW, on the WD40... went to a seminar courtesy of a previous employer on some technical stuff (high voltage breaker maintenance) and one of the pet peeves of the instructor was WD40... long story *very* short, if you find a list of the ingredients (not on the can, thats for sure!), it lubricates for a while... but after a time it dries into an almost varnish-like film... which is when things start sticking and binding again... another quick squirt, and the problem goes away... for a while, until the solvents dry out and the stuff hardens again. Makes for a good quick fix, but doesn't seem like a good idea for long-term use.

Monte