Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Grizzly Parallelogram 8" jointer G0490

Jeff Watson Guest

New Grizzly Parallelogram 8" jointer G0490

Here is my quandary. Just got the new Woodshop News today. In it they have an ad for the new Grizzly 8" Parallelogram jointer. Intro price is $750 + $85 shipping. It has a 3HP motor compared to the G0586 which has a 2HP motor. I was ready to buy the G0586 next week before the price went up, but this new jointer looks pretty good, has a modern design, but has no track record. I haven't heard any bad things about the G0586, so the conservative move would be to stay with my original plan and buy the G0586, but I also plan to have this jointer for a log time and have heard good things about the parallelogram design. The cost difference is not that much of a factor to me.

Comparing stats of the two jointers in the ad, the G0490 has a the bigger motor and the improved design. It also has levers to adjust the infeed and outfeed tables. What puzzles me is the shipping weight. I have always assumed heavier is better. The G0490 shipping weight is 97 pounds ligher than the G0586. Any comments would be great. I have a little over a week to make a decision before the price goes up.

Holly Cow was this fast! It was just the other day we where having the debate of the century over the FWW jointer tests and the grizzly versus DJ debate. And now, it sounds like grizzly has a competitor to the DJ-20 ready to go in the chutes.

1). I am just dying to get a picture of this machine. Anyone out there got some photos for posting?

2). Either papa grizz had this in the pipe and did not say anything or the design cycle at grizz is super fast. Either way, the market positioning of this jointer is rather timely. Either way, this deserves some kudos.

3). Clearly non of us can say anything until we get our grubby fingers onto one for the final test of jointing. But if this thing can hold its own against a DJ-20, I personally would pursue it with vigor. And it has a 3 HP motor. That sounds sweet.

So I am itching to see what shows up. We may be in for the changing of the guard!!!!! Out with the gray and in with the green/white.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Dev,

If I recall correctly Papa Griz made a off comment about something "interesting" comming up (re: jointer) a bit ago on that other forum. Do note that magazines & circulars take a bit of lead time. So this was likely in the works for a while. Once Griz is ready to sell he will likely update his website.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Holly Cow was this fast! It was just the other day we where having the debate of the century over the FWW jointer tests and the grizzly versus DJ debate. And now, it sounds like grizzly has a competitor to the DJ-20 ready to go in the chutes.

1). I am just dying to get a picture of this machine. Anyone out there got some photos for posting?

2). Either papa grizz had this in the pipe and did not say anything or the design cycle at grizz is super fast. Either way, the market positioning of this jointer is rather timely. Either way, this deserves some kudos.

3). Clearly non of us can say anything until we get our grubby fingers onto one for the final test of jointing. But if this thing can hold its own against a DJ-20, I personally would pursue it with vigor. And it has a 3 HP motor. That sounds sweet.

So I am itching to see what shows up. We may be in for the changing of the guard!!!!! Out with the gray and in with the green/white.
    Dev, tell me its not true. You may be coming over to the dark side. You might be warming up to the big green griz?

Rick
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman... neither works.

I knew there was a reason I wa waiting for a new jointer. If the price holds true, it will definietely be in the stable some time next year.
    Scott C. in KC
    Befco Designs

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    Did some googling, but couldn't find one. But this may be of interest to you ...

Up here in Canada, there has been a DJ-20 clone on the market for about a year now. It is the KC-80FX from King Canada and you can see it here: http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=113&ID=918

It can be had for about $CA 995 (so about US$835). I have not had any personal experience with it, but on the two Canadian WW'ing forums it has received a number of positive reviews. But I don't know if anyone has done a really careful side-by-side comparison of the units. (table length, fence quality, motor, casting quality, etc etc)

Odds are the Grizzly unit would be coming out of the same overseas factory as this King unit. But who knows what they do differently from King.

...art
    (who is itching to get his own 6" Delta x5 out of the box, but first he has to finish building the closet so he can move stuff out of the shop to make room for the jointer...)

I too remember Shiraz hinting about a new jointer to compete with the DJ-20. I am looking at getting an 8" model in late spring/early Summer, so I was wondering when it would become available. I went up to Grizzly's Bellingham, WA location a few weeks back and was impressed with the G0500 and other models, so I am looking primarily at them for my new unit, especially when considering cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Harper
    I too remember Shiraz hinting about a new jointer to compete with the DJ-20. I am looking at getting an 8" model in late spring/early Summer, so I was wondering when it would become available. I went up to Grizzly's Bellingham, WA location a few weeks back and was impressed with the G0500 and other models, so I am looking primarily at them for my new unit, especially when considering cost.
    Yes, I remember those remarks too, but they were a little tonque and cheek. He also mentioned that they would be discontinuing the super heavy, 8 inch parallogram jointer with the cast to the floor body and front mounted handwheels. To much money for an 8 in jointer. Papa Grizz has the 12 in one in his personal shop.

Now I did have a look at that King Canada version. Its a virtual clone of the DJ-20. The DJ-20 is the top end main stay of the home shop. Its not just any jointer but the jointer to de-thrown. So this will be worth the wait. If any of you are looking at the wedge bed grizz right now, I would consider dropping a dime on papa grizz support line to see whats up.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Seems like there are a lot of tools coming out from Grizzly for the 2006 catalogue. New 10" jointer (new oliver-like base looking thing), bench top drum sander, the above mentioned 8" jointer, and more I'm sure.

I wonder when the 2006 catalogues will be shipped? It would be great if there was about a week overlap between then end of this year and having access to the catalogue.

That way one could make a decision between 2005 prices on current models and new 2006 models with photos a full specs on hand.

Wouldn't it be nice.

/Kevin

10. Here is a picture of that jointer. It has been in the works for almost a year and is now in production. We expect the first shipment to arrive at the end of February. You will be able to place orders for it after the first of the year when the computer gets updated with all new products.
    Our 2006 catalog is due to land on doorsteps the first week of January (in 2 weeks). Many surprises in this catalog!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...1&d=1135125553
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shiraz,
    What is the motor HP rating? I am fixing to pull the trigger on a very lightly used DJ20 X5(which looks surprisingly close to this new model). I'll be willing to wait if the price is right and I can use it on my 110V 20Amp circuit (no 220V available). Hope you can provide more details on this model.
    Thanks, Ed

12. Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bamba
    Shiraz,
    What is the motor HP rating? I am fixing to pull the trigger on a very lightly used DJ20 X5(which looks surprisingly close to this new model). I'll be willing to wait if the price is right and I can use it on my 110V 20Amp circuit (no 220V available). Hope you can provide more details on this model.
    Thanks, Ed
    Ed - it's a 3 H.P. motor and strictly 220V, single phase. Sorry.

Thanks for the reply Shiraz. You can be certain that I will purchase from your company in the future, maybe not this model (but then again, maybe I will, should my situation change).
    Take care, Ed

Sweeeeeet looking machine. Do I detect a built in mobile base for this jointer?

I was getting ready to order the 0586 looks like I'll be waiting. Looks great,thanks Shiraz for giving us a peek(a very large one at that).