Thread: Performax 22-44 22"- 44" Surface Sander (newbee)

Performax 22-44 22"- 44" Surface Sander (newbee)

Glad I found this group. As a "newbee" I have a question.

I am looking for a drum sander. Checking Amazon I found this one. Performax 22-44 22"- 44" Surface Sander It attaches to a radial arm saw and uses the saw motor to drive it. Anyone have any experience with it?

BTW: its out of production and Amazon does not have any more. So I would be looking for a used one.

Thanks for any help

eddie

Don't think I would try that one if I were you. I've read some poor reviews in the past on other forums about the retrofit model for RAS mounting. I've had the std. Performax 22-44 Pro on stand with ext. tables for last couple years and it's a pretty nice machine and gets a lot of use in my shop. Pricey but does what it's supposed to.
    Matt Tawes
    Chesapeake Woodcraft

welcome edward, no experience with performax sorry.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Welcome Edward.
    Just fired up my 22-44 this weekend and really like it.
    I can't see how a retro could come anywhere near the performance of the real deal.
    I do know that the only thing I hung on my RAS and got half way decent results was a coat.
    My experience has been that a RAS does many things and nothing well .
    Glad to have you in the creek.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I totally agree with Tyler. Have the 22 - 44 standalone. Only regret (which I hope to correct) is getting the extension tables.

I need to find a home for my RAS as well at some point in time to regain the space it takes up.

Performax 22-44

I got that sander head from Amazon thinking I could use it on my father-in-law's radial arm saw. It is actually quite a good piece of machinery, made of cast iron and very heavy. But then I decided the RAS was too high and unstable for a sander. I decided I would make it into a regular sander without the RAS. I thought about making a stand but couldn't find the proper tubing to mount it. So I ended up buying the three-footed stand from Amazon, again a good, solid piece of equipment. I bought a 1 3/4 hp Baldor motor locally for $175. I thought I could do without the conveyor, but then I figured I did need it. So I ordered that from Amazon, and it should arrive in a few days. By the time I add everything up, I could have bought a complete model for about the same price. The upshot of it is, don't bother with the radial-arm-saw retrofit, even if it does become available. All my original purchase did (even though I will eventually have a good sander) was to delay having a Performax 22-44 and actually using it.

Welcome to SMC, Edward.

Regarding the drum sander, I believe you will be a lot happier with the Performax 22-44 Plus (which is a current model) than you will if you can find the RAS retrofit. There is likely a reason they don't make it any more... (I love my 22-44 Plus)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Edward,

Welcome to the "Creek." You're going to like it here. Great folks and even greater expertise. I love my old DeWalt radial arm saw, but I've never seen the attachment you're looking at. Even though I'm a radail arm saw fan, I probably would forgo that attachment. Like Jim said, there's probably a reason it's not made anymore.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

Welcome to the Creek Edward! Neat place to exchange information and opinions. BTW don't be suckered in by Tyler's smiling face. He's the Photo Cop! Did I mention we like pictures? Again.....Welcome!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

"I totally agree with Tyler. Have the 22 - 44 standalone. Only regret (which I hope to correct) is getting the extension tables.

I need to find a home for my RAS as well at some point in time to regain the space it takes up."

If it is a Sears, can you sell it back to them for the $100 and put the money and space to better use?

CPeter

Thanks for the responses. Since my budget is under strick oversight by the better half, I will look at some of the home-built plans. Any recomendations?