Thread: New Dust Gorilla Install

New Dust Gorilla Install

Just "finished" my Dust Gorilla install and figured I would share some pictures of it since I haven't seen a similar install in the past.

2005.12.20_11.20.06_01.jpg

2005.12.20_11.11.03_01.jpg

A close up (as best as I could do) of the rod attachment points.

2005.12.20_11.09.02_01.jpg

The unit is mounted in the corner of my garage.

2005.12.20_11.14.19_01.jpg

I decided to install the DG this way instead of using the brackets that came with it for a couple different reasons. First, I was terribly unimpressed with the brackets that Oneida provides with the Gorilla. They just seemed a little flimsy (given the DG's weight) and the manner in which they attach doesn't seem very secure (I had read messages here and elsewhere about the weight of the filter assembly causing the whole unit to "lean"). The second reason is that the master bedroom of my house is actually located above the garage and I was concerned about noise/vibrations being transmitted into the room if I hard mounted the unit to the wall.

To address the stability issues. I decided to suspend the unit by four threaded rods attached to a framework mounted to the ceiling. To address the noise/vibration issues, I attached the rods to the framework using rubber grommets. The holes in the upper framework (through which the threaded rods run) are oversized so any vibrations have to go through the grommets. Since the layout of joists in the ceiling didn't work out very well given where I wanted the DG installed, the lag screws that hold the framework to the ceiling are in wierd locations. The board attached to the side wall is designed to provide some support to counteract this as well as provide a place for me to attach the air pump for the bag gripper unit I purchased from Oneida.

Overall, the installation has worked out really well. It is very sturdy -- I can even hang on the fan assembly without causing any deflection. Not completely sure my noise abatement goals have been realized. I can still hear/feel the unit running within the master bedroom so I wasn't 100% successful -- just not sure how much better (assuming it is better of course) it is since I never installed it the standard way and have no comparison point.

Couple odds and ends...

The "shock-absorbing" grommets were actually very difficult to come by. I looked a number of places (including online) and couldn't find anything that meet all my requirements. I ended up "manufacturing" them myself using a rubber pipe coupling I found in the plumbing department of my local Borg -- ever just wander around one of those places looking everywhere for something that could possibly work because they don't actually have what you need? I cut the coupling open (lengthwise) and then unrolled it and used it as a sheet of rubber from which I could cut out the grommets. I ended up cutting out roughly circular shapes and then trimmed them to the proper shape using the fender washers and a flush trim router bit in the router table. In hindsight I would have definitely done it different. Didn't run into any major problems but it is always scary to have a carbide bit spinning at high RPMs within an inch or so of your fingers. If I were to do it again, I would probably just use a hole saw in the drill press.

The eye bolts that can be seen in the framework were my attempt to simplify the installation of the moter/fan assembly. I was hoping not to have to bug someone to help me do the install and I knew there was no way I could lift the unit and bolt it in place at the same time (the motor/fan assembly is darn heavy). So, I put the eye bolts in and was planning on running ropes through them and down to the fan assembly on the floor below. Then I could pull on the ropes and hoist the assembly into place. Unfortunately, the friction between the rope and the eye bolt ended up being too high and I wasn't able to actually pull it into place. I ended up getting someone to hold the ropes whiled I pushed the unit up as I walked up the ladder. Was still useful I guess, and will probably be even more so if I ever need to pull the unit down.

I obviously still have to work on the ductwork. Right now I just have a big section of flex hose that I move from machine to machine.

Looks like a nice installation. When I was looking for vibration damping hangers for my cyclone, I found my solution at Grangers . They were expensive, but I figured I would only be buying one set of four that would last a long long time.
    Best Regards, Ken

I am quite jealous. I ordered a DG before Thanksgiving and have yet to get it. May I ask when you ordered yours? Is yours a 2 or 3hp model? I look forward to seeing your ductwork postings if you will as I will be fighting that battle as well.

If I ever get mine I will have to evaluate the wall mount kit. I can attach mine to ceiling as well if needed.

Jeff, Very nice installation. That baby looks like it could suck the paint off a car. Enjoy the great dust collection you're going to have with that mean looking machine.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I'm gussing you have the bag gripper. Would you mind taking some pics of what that is and how it works. It's not exactly clear how it works and why it's so expensive looking at the web site. But, it seems like a good idea.

Thanks,
    Jay
    Jay St. Peter

Jeff, Looks like a great installation. Is this an acceptable by oneida standards? I think it's great idea especially have your bedroom right above.
    Nice job thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by JayStPeter
    I'm gussing you have the bag gripper. Would you mind taking some pics of what that is and how it works. It's not exactly clear how it works and why it's so expensive looking at the web site. But, it seems like a good idea.

Thanks,
    Jay
    I have one on my cyclone. Works well. It's just a little vacuum pump that creates a vacuum between the bag and the barrel-- keeps the bag from getting sucked up into the cyclone. A little pricey for what it is, but I have no regrets about the purchase.

Dan

Ken, any pictures of your install? The vibration isolators from Graingers look like heavy duty gear and would have worked perfectly. Wish I would have seen those earlier as I might have gone that route. Never even really thought of springs.

Travis, no need to be jealous. I took delivery of the DG in June. Has taken me quite a while to get everything up and running. Kept getting sidetracked by other "projects". It is the 2HP model (Baldor motor) that I upgraded to the higher quality filter and larger barrel.

Jay, the major component of the bag gripper is actually viewable in the photos. The silver box attached to the board along the wall (says "Air Mac" on it in green letters) is the vacuum pump. Outside of some plastic hosing and various hose fittings, that is about all their is to the bag gripper. It may not be totally obvious from the pictures, but, there is a hose fitting on each side of the air pump (top and bottom). Two short lengths of hose attach to these fittings and then join at a "T" fitting just in front of the box. From there another hose connects to the leg of the "T" and then runs down along the wall behind the DG (I glued some hose clamps on the wall to keep everything in place). This hose enters the dust barrel an inch or so above the ground (have to drill a hole in the side of the barrel). Two pieces of foam are glued over the end of the hose to act as a filter. That assembly just lies at the bottom of the barrel and pulls the bag down whenever the unit is turned on. The whole arrangement is fairly straightforward and is kinda obvious once you see it. The same could be said of lots of good inventions though.

As far as cost... I have never priced vacuum pumps, but I am guessing that you would be able to put together a simliar system for a good deal cheaper than Oneida sells it for. In my case, I purchased it at the same time as the DG so I got it for the reduced price.
    Last edited by Jeff Bradley; 12-20-2005 at 10:29 PM.

Jeff, below are several posts that I have made about the dust collector, filter box, and controller.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...2633#post92633

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...870#post122870

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...889#post155889

Although not shown, the entire ducting is 6" PVC S&D for the main runs, and 4" PVC S&D where required to mate with the tool. I enlarged the DC outlet on my cabinet saw to 6" inorder elminate any restriction.

Some day I will have to make some new pictures of the shop.
    Best Regards, Ken

I looked at your pictures, but I have no clue what the red box is to the right of the cyclone, or if it is even for it? Could you elaborate?

Travis, that's Ken's filter box. His is an Outside-In configuration for the filter media. Air flows into the box from the blower, through the outside of the filter media to the inside and exhausts from the center of the two media units.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jeff:

I have a Gorilla on order and was hoping to discover an alternative mounting option to the wall bracket or the stand and your idea was just what I was hoping to find.

My basement shop is directly under our bedroom and I want to reduce vibration/sound as much as I can.

Did you get any feedback or advice from the nice folks at Oneida re: your install? Does the unit twist a bit upon start up from the motor/fan torque?

I think I'll also consider Ken's idea of the isolator brackets from Grainger. They are rated for 55-76 lbs. each so four of them on 3/8 inch threaded rods should hold it (?).

Any more info on this would be helpful.

Thanks. Jeff.