Thread: Shopping for a drill press

Shopping for a drill press

Hi,

This is my first post.

I've been looking at drill presses for a shop in a small garage. I like a Shop Fox drill press I've seen at a local woodworking shop. I don't know the model, but it is a bench model with a 3/4 horse power motor and sells for $199. It has a 5/8 inch collet. In general the specs were better than other models in the price range. My budget is pretty limited (too many hobbies), but this is some Christmas money etc.

Compared to other models I've looked at this looks like a pretty good deal.

Does any one have any comments about this brand? If I can swing it after Christmas, I may buy a Shop Fox floor model for another hundred bucks. It has a one horsepower motor, and looks like a good solid well built press.

I had one on hold, but I have to go out to Iowa due to a family illness, and won't be in the shop for a couple of weeks, so I decided to wait and gather some information.

Thanks,
    Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

Larry,

I have the ShopFox drill press you mentioned. It has taken care of all my drill press needs and I have been happy with it thus far.

Only problem that I have with it, is that for a benchtop, it is a beast. It weighs like 115lbs. Definitely not something you store away and just whip out and put on the bench when you need it.

It looks like that was your first post!! Welcome to the Creek, its a great place to share info & meet good people.

--
    John Cavanaugh
    Last edited by John Cavanaugh; 12-21-2005 at 4:57 AM.

Welcome, Larry. I don't know if you have any used dealers in your area, but I am a bit of an old iron fan. For example, I just bought an older Delta, full variable speed, DP, a 15" floor model with foot actuation, and tilting table, for $325. It is a heavy duty machine, and while I do not know the new price on such a model, my guess is that it would be substantially more. Mine is 3 phase, but there are single phase models generally available in the used market, I believe. The VS feature is not deependent on the 3 phase motor as the VS feature comes from a collapsing pulley, the name of which I do not know.
    The 5/8" chuck would be a nice feature.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

welcome larry.

Welcome to the Creek Larry! Thanks for starting this thread. On my Christmas list is money to buy a new Drill Press. Don't want one for a gift since it'll be better spent after all the sales kick in next week. I'll just watch this thread and learn.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Drill Press

Larry,

If you have a Farm and Fleet close by, check there. They stopped carrying all JET equipment, moving exclusively to Delta. They may have some orphan floor models that you can deal on. I got my Jet 16.5 inch for $199, minus the $25 rebate for a $174 net. I am very happy with it.

The manager could not find the chuck key, so he gave me the pretty blue one from the Delta machine.
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

Hi Larry, First of all...Welcome to SMC.

I am also in "search mode" for a drill press so can't give hands on opinion but will share what I've learned so far. Some random thoughts...

I wonder if you are referring to the Shop Fox bench model with 3/4 HP and 5/8" chuck that also has an oscillating function for a sanding accessory (included). If that is the case, 199.00 is a good deal. The side pressure exerted on a drill press shaft by using the oscillating sander is probably not good for the machine but for occasional hobby use in a small shop it is high on my list. With my limited shop space the dual purpose tool is attractive.

The blue BORG has a Hitachi 15" floor press that looks like a great value at $ 199.00.

I will not consider any drill press without the lock nut depth stop feature. This works much better than the screw lock on the handle side of the press. (IMHO)

Many folks have said that a floor model actually takes up less space than a bench top. Can't say why this is so, but enough have stated it that it makes me wonder...

Bench space is very limited in my small shop and I can't afford to give up an inch. If the bench model is too heavy to lift and move maybe a floor model is better? Decisions decisions....Oh well I guess that's why I'm still "looking".

Good luck on your purchase.

larry, i went taiwan in white paint floor model.

Re: Shopping for a drill press

Hi again everybody,

Yes this is the 115 lb. model. Probably why they don't carry them from wherever they unload them and store them under the shelf! I have a table/cabinet I built for a router, but don't use for that anymore. I plan to place this on that table. I'm thinking I could put casters on it and roll it around.

And yes, it is the one with the oscillating sanding drum. I liked that idea, especially for inside curves.

I do have a little bit of an issue with having several bench tools that get in each others way. I have a scroll saw, grinder, and sander that I keep on a shelf. Right now they are each mounted on their own piece of 3/4 inch plywood which I clamp to a Bench-Mate when I use them. If I obtain another bench tool, I'll be moving tools so I have a place to move tools to so I can use a tool. If any one has ideas about that, I'd be interested.

On the other hand, the rest of the tools on my list for the future would probably not be bench tools, other than possibly a jointer/planer.

Thanks for the information, I'll keep listening.

Larry
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

10. I'll add a vote for looking for used equipment. Drill presses are everywhere, at least here in NJ, and that's likely because they are not specifically woodworking machines, but all types of shops need them. Watch the papers, check the machine over, especially for runout, and if you are not in a really big hurry you might find something that works for you. RN

Check Redmond Machinery. I picked up a reconditioned vs Delta (17-968) for less than 400.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Thanks Richard.

What is runout?

Larry

so, old tool guys

Where is a good supplier of old iron that isn't ridiculously marked up? It is taking me all of too long to go around to individual businesses to ask about old iron!

d
    Sharpening skills, the plane truth.

14. I just "up graded" my bench top Delta to a 17-965. I do not use my drill press alot but it seemed that when I did the bench top model was just too small to do what I needed it to do, like drill all the way through bedposts. Just something to think about.

It's in the shop

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your comments.

I went to the store yesterday, and they had the Shop Fox set up for someone else who did not buy it. It was in his way, so he offered to sell it to me for $150.00.

I lugged it home and made a few trial drills and it works great.

I had a project waiting to finish, so I drilled five recesses with a Forstner bit, and put it together. It's a tapering jig from FWW magazine. It seems like it will be a good addition. Now I can get to work on a hall table I want to make.

One thing though - 115 lbs. is real heavy. Glad I was able to set it down and leave it set.

Thanks again,
    Larry