Thread: I can't keep a lathe running!

I can't keep a lathe running!

Last week I posted on the turning page about smoking my JET mini lathe (capacitor). Not willing to wait on/go looking for parts since I was pressed for time, I picked up a new one the next morning. The switch went flooey on it this afternoon.

Fortunately (I guess), I had the smoked one sitting there handy and used that switch to get running again. I tried on and off for a couple hours to get JET on the phone. Never any answer...until 10 minutes after they closed and then the recording was on.

I hate automated phone systems at least as much as the next guy...but if they can have one answer the phone on the first ring when they're not there, why can't they have one pick up and at least tell you to hang on during bizness hours?

KC

Dang KC, you're hard on equipment. Not a good week to buy a lottery ticket either, I'd guess. I can empathize with you on the phone-based customer service, though. It's a shame when the company answers the phone faster after everybody's gone home.

- Vaughn

Kirk,

When you get through to them today go ahead and order a replacement belt as well. Because, that's all that's left for you to break

Buy a new Sears Craftsman 15-inch lathe. I Bought one and it runs great

I am a little curious about the Jet and these apparent design flaws. Maybe it's because they sell so many...but there seems to be some inherent problems. The Jet comes so highly recommended. My Craftsman has been trouble free except the one problem that I induced. But it gets bad press.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

I have the Jet mini and although it works fine I first wondered about the quality. What made me think about it was the rough casting but now I'm hearing other issues. But like I said it has worked very well through many pens etc.
    Alan T. Thank God for every pain free day you live.

I hate automated phone systems as well, but unfortunately I service and support them for a living. To answer your question, they can be configured and laid out as you describe, but if it wasn't discussed with and reviewed with the customer up front, the processing and layout is the pits.

Ditto to Travis, in the sense I sell the things.
    -------

I am concerned that you have had issues with two of these machines "recently", even though one was an older one. You may want to check your electrical setup that you are plugging them in...there is a small chance that something there is causing the problems. I'm not saying that IS the cause, but don't assume anything...there are a LOT of Jet minis out there that are performing flawlessly.

Of course, I also suggest you do not invest a lot in the lottery right now...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...