Thread: Help me make an outside door.

Help me make an outside door.

I went to replace my man door on one of the bays on my warehouse to discover that the builder had installed the steel frames backwards.
    I now have a 1-3/4" inset on the inside and a 1-1/2" for the outside door.
    The building is 30 years old and I need to replace one of these original doors.
    I called some mills and they want $1000.00 to make up one.
    That's not going to happen so how do I go about building one myself?
    I'm worried about the core and stabilizing the hinge areas properly.

Bob

Doormakin is fun

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Oswin
    I went to replace my man door on one of the bays on my warehouse to discover that the builder had installed the steel frames backwards.
    I now have a 1-3/4" inset on the inside and a 1-1/2" for the outside door.
    The building is 30 years old and I need to replace one of these original doors.
    I called some mills and they want $1000.00 to make up one.
    That's not going to happen so how do I go about building one myself?
    I'm worried about the core and stabilizing the hinge areas properly.

Bob

Bob what type of door do you want to make ? Do you have shapers in the shop ? What questions do you have about starting ? Think solid, frame and panel, frame and batten, loose panel, added security of inserted steel plates. The list is endless but almost all are doable with just hand tools, even tho I use shapers and mortice machines. Pick up a book on making doors at your favorite book place, that should get you jump started and post all your questions or email. Also posted pictures are required.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Hatfield
    Bob what type of door do you want to make ? Do you have shapers in the shop ? What questions do you have about starting ? Think solid, frame and panel, frame and batten, loose panel, added security of inserted steel plates. The list is endless but almost all are doable with just hand tools, even tho I use shapers and mortice machines. Pick up a book on making doors at your favorite book place, that should get you jump started and post all your questions or email. Also posted pictures are required.
    Bobby:
    I got a Hitachi 3hp ( in a table) with several decent bits. and a 22" jack plane that is in fine shape. I was thnking of laminating some native birch for a core and sheeting that in with fir plywood.
    Good idea as you suggest to invest in a good door book.
    It will be a lot cheaper than a commercial door and probably save me from making a novice mistake.
    Thanks for the advice.

Bob