Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: shop equipment stereos

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    ...,mackie mixer board and mackie powered monitors. what do ya`ll use?
    Geez - Waddaya doing - cutting yer own CD's out there in the shop er what? That's a heck of a setup for a shop. Gotta be an ex-musician lurking in your history somewhere.

I've just got a AM/FM receiver. Got it free as it was a fire rescue that the owners insurance replaced. Picked up a couple cheap speakers at Circuit City. Grand total was about $40 including the speaker wire, but it works fine and has plenty of volume for drowning out the power tools.
    Use the fence Luke

5 cd changer with am fm.
    Radio stays on 24-7. Never shut if off.
    My first radio lasted 30 years this way. Don't know about this one though.

Bosche Power Box

I use a Bosche Power Box. It/s OK but could be improved in many ways. The main advantage to me is the portability because I do so much work outside and at remote sites.

Music of the music played is from CDs and my CDs are mostly folk, jazz, and classical.

Yes, music is a very essential tool.

Rght now I use a 30 year old Pioneer boombox. It's pretty decent. When I get the shop rehab done, I have a stereo and a couple of amps from a Mazda RX-7 that play throught 2 Omega 50 bookself speakers. I'm goint to hook the second amp up to a 10" dual coil sub I have left over collecting dust in my closet. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

I have a Sherwood 100w receiver I bought a year and a half ago from Circut City for a "song" and two Radio Shack Minimus 7 speakers that I've had since the mid-1980s when I ran one of their larger stores just outside Philadelphia. Good combination. I have everything mounted up near the ceiling which not only protects the electronics from getting whacked by sticks, but also provides a little bass boost (corner effect) with the small drivers. It really does sound great and lets me listen to either my favorite non-commercial music station (WXPN) or my favorite non-commercial NPR non-music station (WHYY) while spending time in the shop. (I think I almost remember what that is like... )

Tod, the Mackies are nice, but I wouldn't let my pro gear anywhere near the shop! (I have similar stuff; different brands, however) I will admit I used to use the little RS speakers as small monitors when I was recording...not ideal, but then again, not unlike what music would be actually played on in the real world.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-21-2005 at 12:19 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I sing. But only do so when I have every machine fired up so I don't have to listen to it.
    Only the Blue Roads

I use a '83 hand me down boom box. Picks up a few stations. Have it on a all Christmas tunes station right now.

I probably should extend speakers from my Parasound Amp / Tuner and Sony 6CD changer I have in the adjacent room.

2 type of sound in my shop

MacIntosh speakers and radio head phones ... both tuned to the same country station

Here’s my setup, a Pioneer bookshelf system. I’ve now got my iPod incorporated into the system.

It's the 6th post down,
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9742
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I have a Philips MCI-250. It actually hooks into my home network either wired or wireless and streams music directly from the internet without going through another pc. It is very cool and allows me to listen to just about any kind of music I could ever imagine. All setup though a web site. Works Great!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    David Hafler 100W PA, SAE 200W PA, Hafler PreAmp. 2, 12" home builts with EV drivers. Pioneer tuner. Ipod docker. Sony Discman.
    Bottom half of the rack is in the shop now.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...0&d=1084669762
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

I use A System of the Down, Lincoln Park, and Nickleback for sanding, OAR, Tool, Perfect Circle, and Green Day for routing, Franz Ferdinand, Gorillaz's, 311, and Nine Inch Nails for the tablesaw, and Foo Fighters, Our Lady Peace, Fallout Boy, Coldplay, and Death Cab for Cutie for all other tasks.
    Tom

Measure twice, ensure your measuring the right board three times, cut once.

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter
    I am curious. I have no real electronics in my shop besides a boom box, but it appears many do. For instance, I take it Tod has a PC in his shop. Does the dust ever cause any problems? What about keyboards and air vents, fans, etc for stereos, etc or is it really not a problem?
    Dust can be a problem with key boards, and vents. The newer tuners and volume controls have electronic or digital controls that are sealed to the elements.
    I take the shop vac and compressed air to them every so often.
    Last edited by Tyler Howell; 12-21-2005 at 4:01 PM.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Hey Tyler,

Whadaya do, run a disco in there at night?

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

I use the Bosch Power Box as well! Far and away the best portable jobsite radio on the market. My father and I do a lot of small projects, so portablility is key.

I have used all the others and really prefer the Bosch.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"