Thread: Supports for toy box lid advise

Supports for toy box lid advise

I'm building a toy box with a 22" x 36" lid that weighs 11.5 lbs. Does anyone have experience with a nice lid support that will hold the lid in an open position and have a soft close feature?

Thanks in advance,
    Jack
    Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio

I've never done this but would something like this work?

http://www.rockler.com/ecom7/product...BDB&filter=lid

Lee Valley also carries something similar - I used one on my great nephew toy box I made for him. These come in pairs for heavy lids so I am sure they will more than handle the lid you are making. http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,43740,43742

Oh yeah Jack, you might want to change the currency to US funds as the link I just gave you will probably come up with Canadian.

Jack,

I used the supports listed by Shelley and Richard to update my wife's toy box for our son. I used two, and the lid holds at what ever angle it is placed.

Wes

might I recommend

http://outwaterhardware.com
    try the LID-SDS-C301N . Nice unit, used it many times. Impressive slow close feature with adjustable tension. You couldn't slam it shut if you wanted to. Warning have metric ruler handy.
    Bowclamp "good caul"

Hi Jack, I'm right in the middle of making an heirloom quality toy box out of red oak for our 6 month old grandson. Tomorrow I'm picking up a self balancing lid support from my local WoodCraft store. http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=1040 You use the lid support in addition to the usual piano hinge. These have a hold open feature, but most important, they have a "soft close" feature so the lid doesn't slam on tiny fingers. I also undercut the top of the front panel of the toy box as an extra precaution. Hope this helps.

Jack, one more thing, there are 3 "sizes" available, depending on the Inch-Pound requirements of the lid. Inch-Pounds = 1/2 the depth of the lid times the weight of the lid.

I used the Rockler ones in this toybox that I made and they work great. As others have said, they come in three different lift amounts, so choose the appropriate ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clint's toy chest

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Malone
    I used the Rockler ones in this toybox that I made and they work great. As others have said, they come in three different lift amounts, so choose the appropriate ones.
    Thanks for everyones advise for the supports.
    Clint: That chest is so beautiful! I'd think that you would have to cringe the first time the kids are running their toy cars on the top!
    Jack
    Jack Hoying
    Fort Loramie, Ohio

I have used the Rockler hinge, and it is great. This shorter link works, too:
    www.rockler.com/ecom7/product_details.cfm?&offerings_id=410

You said your lid was 22 inches wide and weighed 11 1/2 pounds. If the hinge is at the very edge, and your weight is exact, then you need 11 x 11.5 = 126.5 inch-pounds - slightly more than the 95-125 inch-pound range of the larger support. But if you have a one inch overhang at the back, behind the hinge, then the distance from the hinge pin to the center of the lid is 10 inches x 11.5 pounds = 115 inch pounds, well within the capability of a single support. A slight change in weight also might make a difference. If you need more than 125 inch-pounds, simply use two (or three) at the left, center, and right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hoying
    Thanks for everyones advise for the supports.
    Clint: That chest is so beautiful! I'd think that you would have to cringe the first time the kids are running their toy cars on the top!
    Jack
    Well, I probably won't see it, it was a gift for my new twin niece and nephew. I fully expect to be refinishing it when they get older.