Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to make a oval template?

How to make a oval template?

OK I saw it here somewhere but can't seem to find it now but I am thinking of making a oval top for my coffee table and was trying to figure out how to make the oval, I assume you would make a template them cut the scrap away and then route to finish. ? is how to make the oval template, I remember a post where they used a string and two posts but can't find it. Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    Larry

larry, to lay out an ellipse draw two lines 90deg to one another mark the distance from the point where the lines cross 1/2 of your measurement on each axis, one large(major),the other small(minor). using a trammell set the points to 1/2 your major axis,or from center to previously made mark.place one trammell point on the semi-minor axis, the short mark, and bisect the line of the major axis twice, once on each side of center. using the two points you have just described (x`s slightly in from the semi-major axis mark) drive a nail, also drive a nail at one semi-minor axis( short side mark) wrap a string around the three nails and tie it together then remove the nail at the semi-minor axis and replace it with a pencil and describe your ellipse. much easier to do than describe in print! tod

I had to read it about 5 times but I think I understand now
    Thanks
    Larry

sorry man i`ve been spraying lacquer since 5am, my typing may be even less than my normal substandard affair....but i`m having fun tod

Larry,
    See if this site helps you understand what Tod explained.

The problem with an oval is that its a circle with two centers or an ellipse in which you have two back to back parabolas with dual opposing foci. In some cases, its hard to tell the difference. In other cases, the ends are more football shaped.

In either case, this exercise presents some frustration to folks. Frustration both in terms of layout and an in terms of execution of the final shape.

Fact is, I have found that one of the best ways to complete this problem is to use a run of the mill router equipped with a Micro Fence Circle Jig using the Ellipse option. Micro Fence produces awsome tools and their contruction and execution are OLIVER-IZED!

Nobody cuts a circle or ellipse or oval as well as the Micro Fence system in terms of setup, ease of use, accuracy and first time use success. Its worth checking these guys out. They often keep a lower profile than they should.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Thanks all that site was exactly what I was looking for it explains tods version so even I can understand it, Would go with a micro fence that was my first thought but with xmas its just not in the budget right now maybe down the road.
    Thanks again
    Larry

Oval Jig

I just had to draw an ellipse for the demilune table I am making - I used the same method that I linked to above. In the future, I'll be making this simple jig.

Thanks tod.

Excellent description.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch
    ...Fact is, I have found that one of the best ways to complete this problem is to use a run of the mill router equipped with a Micro Fence Circle Jig using the Ellipse option. Micro Fence produces awsome tools and their contruction and execution are OLIVER-IZED!

Nobody cuts a circle or ellipse or oval as well as the Micro Fence system in terms of setup, ease of use, accuracy and first time use success. Its worth checking these guys out. They often keep a lower profile than they should.
    I don't have their ellipse option, but I've got to second that re: their circle jig. Makes things positively easy and it's super accurate.
    Use the fence Luke

Alex, that jig is the berries man. I built one of these things years ago and attached a plunge router to it also. Works like a charm everytime! Its so easy to build and use I cant imagine why anyone would want anything else. Give it a try folks, you wont regret it!

Hmmm?

The problem with an oval is that its a circle with two centers or an ellipse in which you have two back to back parabolas with dual opposing foci.
    Dev,
    Are you SURE about the above sentence. Not that it matters, but we must be remembering different equations from our younger years. As a child, I remember Galileo clearly explaining to me that the Earth is NOT the center of the Universe. I turned him in for treason!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

That is what I told that spanish dude with the three boats... but we think he fell off the edge of the world.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

no lacquer this morning so my one functional cell remembered that it`s quite easy to discribe one quadrant of an ellipse with a stick and a framing (or larger) square.. drill a hole in a stick for a pencil, from the tip of the pencil measure the semiminor axis on one side and place a nail protruding as much as the pencil. do the same for the semimajor axis, then registering the nails on the arms of the square draw one quadrant with the pencil....flip the square and continue..this method is far more accurate than the string method...tod

Well?

That is what I told that spanish dude with the three boats... but we think he fell off the edge of the world.
    Dev,
    He can't say that I didn't WARN him. What of waste of three boats and their crews - right into the jaws of the sea monster - unless he went off the edge first!

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!