Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: David Marks Bench Complete

First of all, the pedestals are great. They look like you used a type of granite stone. Really Cool.

Secondly, how do you guys keep things so clean and neat! My bedroom looks like katrina rampaged a tool crib! My ultimate dream is to get things looking as neat and clean as your bedroom.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Jay,
    That bench came out beautiful.... love the combination of materials, and as Mark said, nothing can be taken away, and nothing should be added...except my compliments to your craftsmenship!

Great job Jay! I really like the design too.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Excellent piece. having seen the episode I think you did a great job. Everything looks crisp and clean.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Very nice Jay! Good Job on the patina. Where did you find the chemicals for it?

David Mark's bench...

I am doing the same project. Also using Sapele. The top is done except for the mortises. The post are done, and the bases are getting their 3 week patina treatment now.

Did you wait three weeks as instructed?

I finished my bench with Seal-a-Cell CLEAR and Arm-R-Seal.

I had a devil of a time getting the copper onto the bases. Did you have problems? What did you use? I have at least three different adhesives in there...hope they hold.

I did not put copper on the bottom, either. I did not carve the wooden supports...just made them out of scrap mahogony and used the same finish as the bench.

I did buy all the chemical and mixed up a witch's brew according to his instructions. Will be anxious to see how this turns out.

Will post pics upon completion.

ps: you bench is beautiful and the patina is great....hoping to get similar results.
    Marc
    Kenosha, WI

Great job, Jay. I really like the combination of materials, and the clean, simple lines. Although I really like seeing the more traditional furniture built by others here on the Creek, my personal tastes run a bit more towards the contemporary side of things, and this bench is indeed that.

Thanks for posting -

- Vaughn

Answers for Marc

Marc, I look forward to seeing your bench! Interesting that we both used Sapele, I had never heard of it before but the new local "exotic wood" dealer said I wouldn't be disappointed, I got it for $3.75 a board foot.

Yes, I waited the full three weeks on the patina, I turned the bundles over each day to keep the liquid evenly distributed.

I used West System Epoxy to glue the copper to the bases, I roughed it up with 40 grit and wiped it down with Acetone before I glued them on. I had a bit of "pop off" on the edges of the copper when I was trimming the adjacent edges, the first time was the worst because I hadn't thought to use a backer board. But even with the backer board I had a few other occurences. I injected CYA in those areas, put a piece of wax paper on the copper and clamped in place. Everything stayed tight.

Jay

Answers for Marc

Marc, I look forward to seeing your bench! Interesting that we both used Sapele, I had never heard of it before but the new local "exotic wood" dealer said I wouldn't be disappointed, I got it for $3.75 a board foot.

Yes, I waited the full three weeks on the patina, I turned the bundles over each day to keep the liquid evenly distributed.

I used West System Epoxy to glue the copper to the bases, I roughed it up with 40 grit and wiped it down with Acetone before I glued them on. I had a bit of "pop off" on the edges of the copper when I was trimming the adjacent edges, the first time was the worst because I hadn't thought to use a backer board. But even with the backer board I had a few other occurences. I injected CYA in those areas, put a piece of wax paper on the copper and clamped in place. Everything stayed tight.

Jay

Answers for Marc

Jay

Opps!

Sorry for the multiple posts everyone, guess it is the result of the screen freeze that someone mentioned in the support forum. The same thing happened to me and I thought I had made a mistake in posting so I kept trying! Looks like it worked!

Jay

I'm with David, Jay...outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We need more smilies...especially a "thumb up" one! If I contribute a few more dollars can we get some more smilies??
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.