Thread: General 350 T Fence system

General 350 T Fence system

I recently received a General 350 as a Christmas present and while trying to install the fence system this evening, I am very confused with the instructions. There are four holes in the front of the table for the L shaped rail and many holes in the rail, if I use the four that align with the holes the rail is not flush with the table top as it states it’s supposed to be in the instructions. If I try a lower hole in the rail then only two line up. Then I notice it states to drill holes which doesn’t make any sense to me.

Can someone who has installed one of these perhaps shed some light?

Thanks

Hey Andy I had the same thing. I Drilled the hols so they wouyld fit properly and installed it. there mus be someting with that fence and the longer ones. Not sure what the problem is. I too cussed and bi...ed for awhile. Its pretty simple once you decide to do it.
    JUst take a hand drill and make the hole a little larger. Once you have it where you want it drill through the fence and the castiron and mount it.

Thanks Reg, Two hours I just didn't have wasted, but does the rail sit flush with the top?? I just searched for images of the saw and am now confused more than ever as the images I see show the rail about 3/8 lower than the top which would mean the holes are in the right spot but the instructions are wrong
    Last edited by Andy London; 12-23-2005 at 9:18 PM.

Hello, I installed an aftermarket fence on a Unisaw last year. The bolt holes were not in the correct place on it either. I measured the fence and rail and set it up so the fence would ride about .010" to .015" above the table. I drilled holes in the angle iron mounting bracket to match the existing holes in the Unisaw top so I wouldn't have to make more holes in the saw. hope this helps. Good luck.
    Brian

General 350 T Fence

My General 350 will be delivered around January 15. The dealer here in Los Angeles provides with it a supplemental instruction sheet for installing the Biesemeyer fence. Complete with diagrams.

He gave me a demonstration on a 650 left-tilt saw, but the procedure is the same, and in both pieces of equipment, there should be no drilling. Can you email me off this forum at extiger@comcast.net and give me a fax number. Or an address. I'll mail/fax his instructions to you. Of course this will have to wait until next week because of the holiday. My instructions are still in the crate at the dealer, but I'll request an additional copy for you. He's a quite savvy guy about machinery.

If you telephone General International in Montreal, and ask for Trevor, he could probably walk you through the procedure on the phone. He was superb giving me instructions for assembling, installing and aligning my sliding table for the 350.

Their number is 514 326-116. That's the International Division. The 350 is made by the other division, the Canadian branch, but they have more staff at International to answer these kinds of questions.

Gary Curtis
    Los Angeles

General 30 Fence

The correct telephone number for General in Canada is 514 326-1161.

Gary

I bought the General 650 this summer. The instructions that describe the fence installation were confusing and I think wrong. I found some instructions online that described the process and they worked great. NO drilling should be required. I'm heading out to the garage to see if I can find those instructions.

Found them. Take a look at this address.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.w...615901a2c84751

If this link doesnt work for some reason enter "General 650 Fence Instructions" into google and click the Group button. Its the 1st one.

Gary, did you buy your saw at Eagle Tools?

~mark
    Last edited by Mark Carlson; 12-23-2005 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson

~mark
    Thanks so much, it didn't make sense on a four thousand dollar piece of equipment that one should be drilling holes in the saw.....didn't impress me. I'll probably call them next week to discuss instructions however your link will enable me to get everything done today!

The company work for bought this for me as a Christmas gift/bonus, they bought it from my favorite dealer, Fundy Grinding...they are the biggest tool deler in the region and the best company I know of to buy tools from.

Merry Christmas and thanks again!

Andy

Andy---Congrat's on the new saw, guess somebody likes you, eh?

Glad you got the fence situation sorted out.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

I puchased the General 350 last week and am having the problem of trying to figure out how the front rail is supposed to be installed. It looks to me that there are two different front rails made for the General. One mounts flush with the top of the table, has cutouts for the miter slots, and countersunk holes. The other, like mine, sits below the table, and doesn't have the holes countersunk. Also, all the holes in the front rail on mine are 1/4", so wouldn't you have to drill out the holes that use the 3/8" threaded holes? Also, wouldn't you have to countersink the holes and use flathead bolts? Others have said no drilling is required and thats why I'm stumped. To the ones who have figured it out, did you have to drill any holes to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson
    I bought the General 650 this summer. The instructions that describe the fence installation were confusing and I think wrong. I found some instructions online that described the process and they worked great. NO drilling should be required. I'm heading out to the garage to see if I can find those instructions.

If this link doesnt work for some reason enter "General 650 Fence Instructions" into google and click the Group button. Its the 1st one.

~mark
    Mark, thanks for the link -it works. I only wish that I had read what was there before I set up my General 650 last March. When I have time to do so, I think that I will re-install my extension table and fence.