Thread: Water base paint???

Water base paint???

After playing with tinting some finish, I'm looking for a water base paint instead. I went to my local paint supply looking for an HVLP sprayable paint. They told me that there wasn't one. Only oil base, and use a lot of reducer to thin it. If I go that route, I'd rather use colored laquer. So.... Looking at the Fuhr line, + shipping, it comes out to be about $70 per gallon!!! I can't justify spending that much dough on paint.

Anybody have a better solution to water base paint??? I have way too much to paint. A 6 hour brush/roll job, or 45 minute spray job. Problem is I can't find a waterbase paint I can spray... Krylon???
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

You can buy waterborne colored finishes intended for application with HVLP, generally in the $30-$40/gal area. Two sources are www.compliantspraysystems.com and www.homesteadfinishing.com.

satin impervo

the only water based paint i've used that sprays well is benjamin moore's satin impervo, but it runs about $50 a gallon. You need to thin it by about 20% and probably add a little floetrol. And you'll end up getting more overspray than you're used to. Which makes painting the inside of cabinets a real pain. I only use it when I have to match to pre-paintd trim.

What have I missed?

What are you painting, Scott? Why water base? I might could help if I knew what you were doing.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Target Coatings sells USL tinted to the color of your choice or as a tint base if you want to have it tinted locally and have someone who will do it. I've also used the Fuhr 9100 tinted by Jeff Jewitt (kitchen uppers to match a Behr paint color) and it went on very nicely. I don't remember it costing $70, however...although it was certainly more than home-center paint. 'Stuff is designed to spray, too...right out of the can.

Now...the question must be asked...what are you trying to paint? If it's walls, etc...pick up or rent an airless sprayer and use latex.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the enduro products from compliant. I think if you try them you'll like them

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I've also used the Fuhr 9100 tinted by Jeff Jewitt (kitchen uppers to match a Behr paint color) and it went on very nicely. I don't remember it costing $70, however...although it was certainly more than home-center paint. 'Stuff is designed to spray, too...right out of the can.
    $49.99/gal, + reducer $14 (which I don't need?), + shipping $10.50 = $75/gal. That's where I came up with $70+. But, if I cut the reducer, that brings it into the $60 range. Homestead was closed Friday, so I wasn't able to call and ??? I can get colored laquer locally for $22/gal, but I use my vacant basement for spraying, and it's too cold to spray laquer outside right now.

Now...the question must be asked...what are you trying to paint? If it's walls, etc...pick up or rent an airless sprayer and use latex.
    Built in shelves, cabinets, bench, desk. I already primed with Target's EmTech sealer. I don't want to use Latex, and I don't want to brush/roll. I have a Benjamin Moore store that I can check. That'll save shipping, etc.

Here is what I'd do....

"Built in shelves, cabinets, bench, desk. I already primed with Target's EmTech sealer. I don't want to use Latex, and I don't want to brush/roll. I have a Benjamin Moore store that I can check. That'll save shipping, etc."
    No way would I "spray", existing cabinets on the wall. The bounce back from overspray is obnoxious, to say the least. Enamel roller cover, china bristle brush, Benjaman Moore Satin Impervo, two coats, done. You're not painting that much.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    No way would I "spray", existing cabinets on the wall. The bounce back from overspray is obnoxious, to say the least. Enamel roller cover, china bristle brush, Benjaman Moore Satin Impervo, two coats, done. You're not painting that much.
    There are quite a few parts/peices, that will take all day to brush two coats.
    They're not installed yet. All the peices are in my vacant basement. I'll be painting before I install them. I'm not worried about overspray. I'll check out the Benjamin Moore today....

Thanks for the replies.

Scott, you may want to call Target directly about tinted USL. As much as I like Jeff, that sounds a bit steep for shipping, etc.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Scott, you may want to call Target directly about tinted USL. As much as I like Jeff, that sounds a bit steep for shipping, etc.
    I talked to Jeff Weiss, and he said I could tint the clear to the white I wanted. Problem was, I should have started with the white base, because when I did it, it ended up translucent.

I went to the Benjamin Moore store today. I didn't buy the Impervo, because it was latex acrylic, and satin. I'm looking for a semigloss, and I want to stay away from latex.

But... General Finishes has a new waterbase acrylic milk paint. (HVLP sprayable) I was going to buy some of that, but at $19/quart, it's a bit much! However, I'm looking into getting gallons at about $51. That or give Target a call tomorrow. I'm not in a hurry, I still have a desk to build before painting.... I'll keep y'all posted....

Satin Impervo

[QUOTE=Scott Parks]
    I went to the Benjamin Moore store today. I didn't buy the Impervo, because it was latex acrylic, and satin. I'm looking for a semigloss, and I want to stay away from latex.

Scott, Satin Impervo is an oil base enamel, available in any color you want, and from low luster to high gloss. I don't know who you delt with at the paint store, but Impervo is alkyd paint.
    You can spray most anything through a HVLP gun. In recent posts, I have warned people that reducing the product and, because it is atomized, the alkyd paint will have a reduced gloss as opposed to being brushed or rolled. If I'm in a basement and intend on spraying cabinet parts, I'm using an airless. One is because of the limited overspray, two, you'll only need two coats, and three, the gloss I want will hold up through the airless. I would make sure there is no open flame in the basement and cover the floor and any objects close by.
    Phil in Big D

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Phelps
    Scott, Satin Impervo is an oil base enamel, available in any color you want, and from low luster to high gloss. I don't know who you delt with at the paint store, but Impervo is alkyd paint.
    Sorry Phil, but that is not correct. Satin Impervo is a waterbase satin Acrylic Latex. It only comes in satin sheen, and pastel colors. (1B & 2B on the color fan).

http://www.benjaminmoore.com/wrapper...id=207#article

scott, stop online shopping and either go to a locally owned paint store or sherwin. they should be able to fix you up for under 30bucks a gal. i just bought a 5 of black that was under 15 a gal.....02 tod