Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What tools did you receive as gifts? (with pictures please)

Tools for XMAS

This really is an inventory gloat. A database of all the tools I've acquired since January in preparation for my newly constructed shop. As soon as I build the Veritas-plans Tool Cabinet, I'll post a photograph of all this stuff.

Items with an asterisk are powered tools. My real treasures are 6 Stanley planes dating from before WW-I. And 5 sets of different chisels dating from before WW-II when Sheffield Steel was at its finest.

Gary Curtis
    Attached Files Attached Files

Update....I just got off line with Taunton Press....with the money I received for Christmas I just ordered Tage Frid's books 1, 2 and 3 and Rogowski's book on joinery!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Curtis
    This really is an inventory gloat. A database of all the tools I've acquired since January in preparation for my newly constructed shop. As soon as I build the Veritas-plans Tool Cabinet, I'll post a photograph of all this stuff.

Items with an asterisk are powered tools. My real treasures are 6 Stanley planes dating from before WW-I. And 5 sets of different chisels dating from before WW-II when Sheffield Steel was at its finest.

Gary Curtis
    That is an amazing inventory to acquire in only one year Gary. Congratulations!

XMAS gifts and inventory list

How else could I occupy my time while waiting for my house to be constructed?
    I read 100 wood magazines and 2 dozen books to learn about this stuff. Here's what I gleaned from all this:

a) woodworking community is a wonderful place, albeit with strong opinions at times.
    b) eBay prices are intimately connected with President Ronald Reagan's Star Wars Missile Defence system. Neither are based on reality!

c) the Old Galoot network, with local swap meets across North America, is the best source of 1)information, 2)tools in prime condition and at fair prices

d) there is no Free Lunch.

e) if you thought you knew the English language, try woodworking terms. In England vs. N. America.

I want to modify my emphasis of favorite items in my inventory. I would add to it, winding sticks in Ebony and ivory handmade in York, England, and a Rosewood bowsaw handmade by a reknowned cabinet maker from Connecticut.

Everything is currently in crates and boxes awaiting the moving truck, so no photos are possible.

Gary

Hello folks,

I ordered a couple of woodworking books and more than 30 screwdrivers for Christmas. They will arrive in January. On Thursday I bought myself a Makita 9404 belt sander and tomorrow I will shop for more handtools (clamps etc.).

Welcome to SMC, Bernhard! We need a shop tour!

Regards,

Christian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Aufreiter
    Welcome to SMC, Bernhard! We need a shop tour!

Regards,

Christian
    We have one. See the thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=28225

Well it wasn't a big Christmas tool-wise unless you count the Oct. MM16 purchase as an early Christmas present. I got a $50 LV GC, and a $10 Sears GC. Not sure what to buy with the 2nd one - maybe I can sell it on eBay for $15 and add the cash to my LV GC. I did get a few tools though. Got this little Bridge City thing off eBay - Santa said I could.
    BC Miter Sq.jpg
    My sister got me this - just the mini-saw attachment. I already have the Dremel.
    670-big.jpg
    Not sure if this last one qualifies as a tool, but Santa said he wasn't comin up my drive until I got it cleared.
    1332le_lrg.jpg
    Use the fence Luke

Here is what Santa left under my tree.

Grizz G1182Z 6" Jointer: Actually I used my Christmas bonus from work on this one. But I told my wife that was all I needed for Christmas.

Rockler Dovetail Jig: From my parents

Bessey KBody Clamping Kit for Cabinet Doors (KBK2440): Also from my parents (it's nice to have a Dad that woodworks too. )

Misc Lee Valley Stuff: Actually impulse items I bought for myself when shopping for other people. Christmas gets expensive when you have no self control.

Here are two more gifts that my Dad made my sons. I was very impressed, but it may be a few more years before they appreciate it (1 and 4 years old).

The LOML gave to me from Lee Valley the following. I must have been very good.

Flush Cut Saw
    Veritas Router Plane
    Veritas Cabinet Scraper

My daughter gave me a cordless pencil sharpener.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pellow
    Thanks, Frank. I realized it after I had posted the message in this thread.

Christian
    "On Wednesday, when the sky is blue,
    And I have nothing else to do,
    I sometimes wonder if it's true
    That who is what and what is who."

(A.A. Milne, Winnie the Pooh)

Well let's see. I went to Woodcraft and purchased the ear muffs, wet or dry paper for sharpening, some hinges and the mat everything is resting on. The dovetail saw is from Rockler as is the sharpening guide. All in all I had a real good Christmas as it was the first one that the granddaughter participated in. She actually unwrapped her gifts.

13. Laguna 16HD Bandsaw

Placed my new Bandsaw on order today. It's kind of a Christmas present with the wife involved in the order. Can't wait to get my hands on it and try that resaw blade!!!!

Dave

I got the GRR-Ripper model 200 with handle kit, a Woodcraft gift cert, a couple of fence featherboards for my router table, and a PSI dust hood (for building an overarm TS guard).
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Millsaps
    Placed my new Bandsaw on order today. It's kind of a Christmas present with the wife involved in the order. Can't wait to get my hands on it and try that resaw blade!!!!

Dave
    David, you DO realize we'll be expecting lots of pics when you get that bad boy in your shop, right?! Congrats. You'll love it!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!