Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table Saw Review Griz 1023SL

Table Saw Review Griz 1023SL

This qualifies as a gloat as well...I guess.

Just received and set up a new Grizzly 1023SL this past week. There are a few folks on SMC buying a new saw and this one was of interest to several so I'll post my "first impression review".
    First let me say I was looking for an accurate table saw that I could afford and small enough to fit my small garage shop. After a year of hands on shopping and reading advice on SMC I was convinced that I would not be happy unless the table adjustments were easy to perform and to get set up accurately. That is why I excluded any saw without cabinet mounted trunnions. This left out contractor saws & the Delta hybrid, so I narrowed my final choice down between the Griz 1023SL, DeWalt & Craftsman hybrid. These were the three saws I felt met my criteria of quality, size and price. The Griz could be delivered for about $1000.00. DeWalt about the same. The Craftsman list price was about the same but could be bought at a better price depending on sales and extra discounting. Although I thought the Craftsman was & still is a good value, I decided on the Grizzly 1023SL. Sight on-seen I perceived that it was a heavier duty machine and was hoping it would be a little beefier in a few places that the Craftsman seemed to be a little thin.
    So I ordered the Griz on 12/16/05. Saw arrived 12/22. (quicker than expected given Christmas season) I picked it up at the terminal because Overnight freight wanted an extra $85.00 for lift gate service and I thought that was too much. They set it in my truck with a fork lift and I drove it to its new home. It came packed in a heavy cardboard box and bolted onto a small pallet. The top was protected with thick styrofoam. I would have liked a little heavier packaging but these was no damage and that's the main goal. Besides, Grizzly has good customer service as do most woodworking machine suppliers & would have replaced any damages parts.
    It's a heavy beast so, in an effort to lighten the load, I took off the cast iron table and emptied out the loose parts inside the cabinet. The table comes off easily and was very easy to adjust when putting back on. (very very pleased with this feature)
    It was still heavy but 2 of us managed to get it down and onto the Shop Fox mobile base. I was pleased with the mobile base. It performs better than expected. I would prefer not to have a mobile base but my small garage shop dictates mobility. The base "almost" fits perfectly and it was easy to shim out the slop which I highly recommend doing.
    I was very pleased with the material of construction. When comparing products it was hard to find specifications on cabinet steel thicknesses (gage). While I thought the other saws were OK material wise considering their price, I didn't like the small plastic handwheels and the thin gage cabinet sheet metal. The Griz exceeded my wishes on both of these issues. The handwheels are very heavy and the trunnions run much smoother than any other saw I test drove. (display models are seldom set up properly so it may not be fair to discount a certain brand based on how they perform in the store....but I didn't have anything else to compare it to)
    The cabinet seemed heavier than any of the others and it had some bracing inside to help stiffen the sides. The trunnions were much heavier than others I had seen in the hybrid class. All in all I was very please by what I saw right out of the box. Now it was time to set it up.
    Instructions were clear and easy to follow. There really wasn't much to do and it went together easier than expected. The hardest, most time consuming task was cleaning off the goop used to protect the table tops. I used mineral spirits. Put it on and let it set for a few minuets and the goop came off OK. There might be a better solvent to use but this worked OK for me.
    Re-mounting the main table was easy. The two cast wings were also easy to attach but I could have used an extra set of hands to help hold it in place while the bolts were tightened. This brings up a point. I assembled the table saw by myself but a helper would be a big help as some items are heavy. There are a few other items to mount like the on/off switch etc but they are all straight forward and shouldn't be a problem.
    The Shop Fox fence is a Bies clone and packaged very well. It also comes with good instructions and goes on easily. (A helper would be nice here as the front and back rails are heavy gage angle iron.) The fence, once installed was perfectly square to the table slots.
    The miter gage was better than expected. Not as nice as some aftermarket units but usable. It is very heavy and has front and back adjustment screws to take out any slop. I was not expecting the adjustment capability and was pleasantly surprised.
    The saw did not include a blade. When reading past reviews of this saw the consensus was "nice saw but it came with a bad blade" so I was not disappointed that a blade was not included. I ordered a new blade with the saw and this so far is my only disappointment. The blade (Oldham) has a wobble in it. (About 0.012") Not sure if this is within normal specs but I don't want a blade this far out.
    The saw DID come with a motor cover. (see pic) Previous reviews mentioned that the cover was an option. I'm guessing Griz did away with the blade and included the motor cover. The cover is the same gage as the rest of the cabinet and fits nicely.
    Once assembled I checked alignments and found everything just about right. The one adjustment I had to make was the 45 degree tilt limit screw.
    The blade guard and splitter are very weak. Compared to the rest of the saw, the poor quality of the guard seems out of place. (It is also a weakness on all the other saws I looked at) Considering this is a "safety" item you would think that a manufacturer would beef the design a bit.
    The throat plates (came with a standard and dado plate) are very heavy duty and easy to adjust with the 4-set screws. But as with all throat plates, the gap is too wide for my liking so I quickly made 4 zero clearance plates (using the existing plates as a template and cutting them on the router table with a pattern bit)
    After assembly I waxed-her-up and took her for a spin. (the saw)
    First Impression is very good. The sturdiness and materials of construction exceeded my expectation. It is very heavy, very solid and powerful. My old Craftsman RAS really struggled with 2" maple but the Griz cuts it with no hesitation & no burning.
    Based on what I've seen so far I feel I made the correct buying decision for my situation. The other two saws I was considering are also nice units. The DeWalt has many nice features but at just about the exact same price as the Griz 1023, was not my choice. The Orion folks have put together a real nice saw for Craftsman. It would still be my saw of choice if I did not have 220 available. If comparing the Craftsman at full list price, I think the Griz is a much better value but some folks buy the Craftsman for less than $700.00 and at that price it is a great value as well. But for me, the Griz is what I was looking for and I am happy with the quality.
    I've posted some pics showing:
    1) The saw in my truck as it was shipped in the box.
    2) Saw undressed (out of box) See motor cover.
    3) Close up of table adjustment bolts (see goop on table edge)
    4) Saw with main table off setting in mobile base.
    5) Close up of the trunnions.
    6) Table top GOOP. Some call this greese but I call it $%#@&^%$@!
    7) Saw with main table & 2 cast extensions attached.
    8) Saw with fence.
    Hopes this helps someone. PM or e-mail me with any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple more pics

Three more pics. Hope this helps someone. e-mail me if you have any questions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice review and an equally nice saw!

Jim

Great review John. I've had a SL for over two years and still love it. I'm sure you will too.

I too was a little disappointed with the blade guard and splitter assembly but it has worked well in practice. Other than that, the only major modification I've made are to add a wooden box between the rails on the right hand side. The top is adjacent to and flush with the saw table. I put all my saw accessories in it for easy access.

I also replaced the tape measure with an after market one and bought a magnfying cursor from Jet to replace the Griz unit. It makes it a lot easier to read the scale now.

The ZCI's will help a bunch. I made mine from 1/2" sandply and put some adjustment screws in each.

I recommend a 40T Forrest WWII regular kerf blade to replace the bad Oldham you have. It makes a great saw superb.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Congrats John! If I'd found this website 6 months earlier, that's probably the saw I'd be driving now.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Excellent gloat John. That looks like a great piece of equipment. Enjoy the saw!

Corye

May I ask a question here. I'm thinking of upgrading to this saw but I've been curious about the mobility of a cabinet saw. I like the outrigger type wheel brackets. Can you bolt larger wheels on that base? I would need to roll the saw over larger ramp edges and such than would be comfortable on those 2-1/2"(?) wheels.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

John,

For what it's worth I own the original Grizzly model 1023. I can't remember when I purchased it but it was certainly over ten years ago. My saw has served me well and has plenty of time on it, years ago I had a very large job making cabinets and I cut over $120,000.00 worth of 3/4" birch plywood over 4 years. I have also been cutting miles of Corian and everything else you can imagine through the years. No worse for the wear my 1023 still works perfectly.

Good gloat John. I'm not in the market for a tablesaw, but it's good to see these kind of reviews. It's very helpful and, for me, tells me alot about the company.

John
    John Bailey
    Sawmill Creek is a member supported forum. Click here to donate.

John, I don't normally reply to reviews. I read what's posted and move on. However, after all of the time you took to pass on some very worthwhile information, I am compelled to give you a "well done." This also moves me a step closer to ordering from Grizzly. (I can't imagine how long it would have taken me to type all of that info.) Thanks again,
    Roy

John, thanks for the review it was very informative, well done. Now about that car in your shop...................tisk tisk. LOL

John,
    Thank you for taking the time to write this review and post the pics! As you know, my Griz 1023SL was ordered over the weekend and should be on it's way shortly. Your review and the pics provided excellent insight into what I should expect in the delivery/ manhandling off the truck/ set-up process. I very much appreciate your time and energy in providing the info!

Steven

Thanks

As a follow-up and answer to some questions....

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't mind taking the time to post this review because many other folks on this site have been extremely helpful and generous to me with their time and information.

I noticed the close up pic of the trunnions didn't make the post....."trust me" the saw included trunnions.

Kent...I should have listened to all the folks on SMC who recommended the WWII. But Oldham is located in North Carolina and I wanted to give my local economy a boost. I purchased a Hitachi 10" combo blade at the BORG about 6 months ago for about $27.00. It was light years ahead of the other cheapie blades I had used. I put it on the saw and even though it is "used" the Hitachi performed quieter and better than the new blade. I plan on purchasing the WWII and keeping a new Hitachi for backup.

Mark...regarding larger wheels. The mobile base came pre-drilled to accept the supplied wheels. I'm not sure of the centers but they probably will accept other casters. But remember...the larger wheels will raise the table and I assume the base warranty would be void. For what it's worth, I roll the saw over my expansion joints with little trouble. This saw as configured actually takes up less room that the contractor style I was looking at.

Roy...Thanks. Coming from one Carolinian to another...welcome to SMC and please join in. This is a great place to share our woodworking passion.

Jim...car in garage...I agree. Can you please write a note to the owner and explain why it (the car) would be happier outdoors.

Steve...congratulations. Great hearing from you over the Holidays. My saw is already covered with sawdust. Hope yours is soon.

Nice review. I've had my 1023 since 1994. I would buy another if the need comes up.
    I've replaced the switch, the centrifigul switch, and also put a new fence system on it a year or so ago. Thats not too bad for a 11 year old saw that gets daily use in my cabinet shop.

The blade guard never got put on mine. It lacked, ah, what do I want to say here. Just was flimsy looking.

Same here, I've my 1023SL for 3years now, I'm very happy with it. Never installed the guard either, I think there a bigger nuisance than there worth. I did install a biesemeyer splitter. and use a gripper for small pieces.Is far as the fence I had a 50" biesemeyer for years on my craftsman that the buyer didn't want that big of a fence. So I gave him the stock fence he very happy with it.