Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: turning tools need recommendation

turning tools need recommendation

Will be getting a Jet 1442 this week and need recommendation on a decent turning set that will not break the bank, I was looking at the Pinnacle starting set. Any thoughts? recommendations? Also need a good book for starting basics plan to do legs and some bowls ect..
    Thanks
    Larry

Smile

Larry,

Talk to the guy that you will be getting the lathe from. He has been through exactly what you are going through now. Beside that, he is a nice guy and will be very helpful!

Clem

Larry,

Harbor Freight has a set of High Speed Steel tools. I think it normally costs just under $40 and is often on sale. You probably won't use all the tools but they make a decent starter set and you can always grind a different profile on some of the tools you don't use.

I think most of us recommend buying only HSS because it tolerates heat much better than High Carbon Steel.

Don't forget a grinder or some other means of sharpening. Sharp tools are better than expensive, dull tools.

Harry

Any tools made from high speed steel will get you started. I think I started out with a 8 or 10 piece set from Great Neck or some such, $80 at the local OSH (a junior HD). I still use them, waiting for them to wear out before getting new ones. It's critical to your success (and sanity) to be able to get and keep those tools sharp, and I mean surgically SHARP.
    Most starter sets do not come with bowl tools, which are different than spindle tools. I'd start turning spindles, and get the bowl tools later. Or buy one 1/2" bowl gouge to start.
    Happy turning!

I was going to say what Gary said, so I will just amplify that some. When I got my first lathe, I did buy the HF set (the one for about 40 bucks with the rosewood handles from Pakistan). Problem was, it consisted of spindle gauges and scrapers. At that time I didn't know the difference so I ended up buying a half inch bowl gauge anyhow (I think a Sorby for about 50 bucks or so) and converted the big spindle gauge into a roughing gauge. Kept the scrapers and changed their profile as needed. Unless you're gonna be turning spindles, I wouldn't even bother buying a "set" of tools. Just get a decent bowl gauge, 3/8 or 1/2 inch, and a good scraper which can also be used as a roughing gauge.

As far as books go, I bought one of the Raffan books and found it is very difficult to use. You would probably be better off buying an instructional video. Should be a lot more useful to you.
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

I second Wolfs advice on the video. A lot of turning is tool presentation, which is much easier to watch than to read about. There are some video clips on the web, but I like both Richard Raffan and Bill Grumbine (hope I spelled those right) as far as great instructional videos. Before you purchase, you might check your local library or your club library. You can find your local club at The American Association of Woodturners homepage.

I'm gonna reverse my opinion

I'm gonna change my mind about what I said regarding purchasing a tool set. I just received my Woodcraft sales flyer and I see they have a 6 pc Sorby turning set that normally sells for 200 bucks on sale for 150. This set contains a 3/4" roughing gauge, 3/8" bowl gauge, 3/4" oval skew, 1/8" parting tool, and 1/2" round nosed scraper. That should be enough to get anyone started and you can do both spindles and bowls. I like Sorby tools anyhow so I would recommend this set. I forgot the 3/8" spindle gauge.

My nickel.........
    Wolf Kiessling

In the pursuit of excellence, there is reward in the creation of a wondrous relationship between the artisan and the soul of the tree

I bought the HF set and still use it. It is a great bargain. I added the necessary bowl gouges and scrapers later but the HF set still gets used very often.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Penn State Benjamins Best are a great value in turning tools.

I would recommend the following tools:

1/2" bowl gouge
    3/8" spindle gouge
    1/8" parting tool
    1" skew
    1" dome scraper

Better than books or vedios is hands on instruction. Spend a day turning with someone who has taught other how to turn. That is so much better than any demo or vedio or book.

You will also need safety equipment and sharpening equipment.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

Thanks for all the assistance I was planning on some videos they seem easier for me when I can see it rather than reading technique. I wil have to see if I can sweet talk the seller into some assistance.
    Larry

Skip buying any set. Start with a good bowl gouge then build from there.
    This is the advise I got back when I asked the same question and I think its good advise.

I'm with the HF folks!

Larry,
    In my humble opinion:
    - DO NOT START WITH EXPENSIVE CHISELS!
    - DO NOT EVER BUY A SET OF "MINI" TOOLS!
    - DO NOT GIVE UP ON TURNING JUST BECAUSE OF SHARPENING DIFFICULTIES! KEEP TRYING! The #1 reason that turners give up is because of sharpening difficulties. The second reason is the "Evil" skew. Again, as with sharpening, KEEP ON TRYING!

In my second humble opinion:
    - DO BUY THE HF SET OF EIGHT CHISELS. I was amazed at how well they hold an edge. I have my VS Mini up at my cabin and had planned to "waste" a set of chisels when teaching some of the local kids how to turn wood and sharpen chisels. Thus far, there has been little waste and, I hope, I bit of learning!
    - DO BUY THE WOLVERINE SHARPENING JIG! I know that it is a cop-out to the Neanderthals and we of little talent - but it WORKS!
    - NEVER GIVE UP ON THE SKEW! Some years back, I gave up on the lathe because of the sharpening thing but mostly because of the evil, last cut, "catching" slyness of the abominable SKEW!! I came back five years later and the "Raffan Radiused" skew was suddenly my best buddy. 80% of my turning involves a roughing gouge, my SKEW, a parting tool and, occasionally, a heavy scraper with a frangible, tangible burr. My other gouges are only used for coves and hollowing.

Try to keep all this stuff quiet. There may be some highly compensated "Mods" sneaking around in this thread who are waiting to tell you the REAL truth about me and my humble opinions?!?

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

First bowl gouge I got was 1/2" with an Irish Grind and it was catch catch catch, because it was more aggressive a tool than I could handle.

Then acquired a 3/8" with an IG and since it takes a smaller less aggressive cut I was able to learn to control things better.

Amazing what an 1/8" difference will do.

It's now my go to gouge for all but the gnarliest of roughing jobs.
    Only the Blue Roads

My vote would be for getting the Harbor Freight set until you know what you really want to turn and then buy those individual tools.

Have fun and Larry, where is Atoka located from Knoxville?
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

I agree with the HF set of HSS tools. Not as pretty as the Sorbys but they hold an edge and it gives you the perfect opportunity to learn sharpening without worrying about mucking up expensive tools.

By the way...Sears has the 6 piece Sorby set on sale right now for $139.99
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson