Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This this too daring?? Need you input!

This this too daring?? Need you input!

Every year I build a piece for my church auction.

I built a "traditional" shaker tall clock out of cherry several years ago. (see left photo below)

This year I decided to build another one, but make it different. I found an awesome piece of maple at a local wood store and went to work and have the base glued-up. (See middle pic below)

Now I'm having second thoughts & have a few questions:

#1. Is this too daring???

#2. What do you call the coloring on the maple? (Is it spalting??)

#3. What should I do for the trim (for the base & head)?? I was thinking maybe a light walnut to match the darker maple... or use light maple??

#4. What should I use for the wood behind the white clock face?? Walnut or maple?? (see right pic below)

#5. Any ideas on a finish... I'm afraid an oil-based wipe-on finish would make the piece too yellow??

Thanks for you opinion & comments!

-jj
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joseph j shields; 12-30-2005 at 1:07 PM.

I would likely complete the piece using additional maple...let the body panel "speak" and not take away from it with too much contrast elsewhere. As to the finish question...if you don't want to add much color, NC lacquer or water borne acrylic, such as Target Coatings USL would be my choice. Actually, the latter since I don't use NC Lacquer ever. (Can't stand nor deal with the fumes) If a little color is acceptable, super blond shellac would also be a good choice.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

i agree with jim on the wood choice. as for "daring" .....you`re building this for free to help out your church right? have fun and be creative go with what feels right to you....02 tod

no offense, but I don't think the wood selection complements the shaker style of simplicity.

Lou

I'm with Lou on this one. This piece of wood is not really in tune with the unadorned Shaker style. However this board would be fantastic in a contemporary interpretation of the tall clock.

Dan

Since you are building it for the church auction, I’m guessing you have a vested interest in the church making decent money on the clock. No sense in being daring here. Like Lou said, I think you should find some more traditional stock for the clock. By the way, last years clock sure looks nice. I hope it raised a bunch of money for the church, Lars

I LIKE IT. I think the figure in the wood works really well. I do agree with Jim though that the figure is the focus of the piece and it might be best not to distract from that too much.

Thanks Lars.... Last clock auctioned off for $1,200 ....

-jj

Lou, Dan...

I agree that the shakers would never use this wood... it is too fancy.

However, I think that the very simple shaker design is the perfect platform to highlight the beauty of the wood.

What say you??

-jj

Well since you asked, I really don't see that this maple is all that spectacular. If it was really curly or birds eye type maple, then sure it would look good. Maybe its the picture and the fact that I can't see what you are able to in person, but to me it just looks like some maple with a dark heart section that has been book matched. Just to let you know, I really like working with figured woods and have over two thousand bd feet of real nice curly maple on hand, so I do have an eye for figure. this wood just does not have much going for it IMHO. Again, I am not trying to be a wood snob here, but you have asked for honest opinions and so please take my input as given in humility.

lou

JJ, I like the wood a lot and I like your previous clock a lot. However my opinion is that if you're going to do a Shaker reproduction, then do it faithfully. If you want to deviate from the Shakers and venture into your own style (for example using wood with prominent grain to build the project), then you should move a little farther away from the Shaker design overall.

For what it's worth, I'm not trained in design. Just the opinion of a regular guy here. I don't want to discourage you from doing something that makes you happy. If you really like the wood, then use it. You are obviously a skilled craftsman, and I'm sure you'll make it work.

Dan

Hey Dan,

Where do you get your wood???

I'm always looking for good places in MKE.

I usually end up at Kettle Moraine Hardwoods
    but I'm usually disappointed with their high prices & poor selection (especially cherry).

Any ideas???

-jj

I usually go to the Caledonia KMH location. Only a 5 minute drive from where I live. I usually stop in every week or two just to see what they have. Over the past summer & fall, their selection was lousy. Earlier this fall I went there with the intention of buying ~50 bd/ft of ash for a project. I couldn't find enough boards in their rack that weren't twisted, so I went with maple instead. However, I was there a few days ago and was pleasently surprized to find a much improved selection overall. So in general, I think their selection is hit or miss.

I used to live in Chicago, where prices are generally higher, so the prices at KMH seem OK to me. For domestic lumber, they tend to be 50% or so cheaper than say Owl Hardwoods. For exotics, KMH is in the same ballpark as the Chicago area stores. By the way, if you've never taken a field trip to Owl, you really should the next time you're down that direction. Lots of beautiful wood to look at there!

I keep meaning to check out Badger Hardwoods in Walworth, but have not yet made it out there. Based on their website, prices there are a little higher than KMH. I wonder what their quality & selection is like?

I think that in order to do better than KMH on price, you'll probably have to find a mom & pop sawmill out in the country. I've been on the lookout for such a place, but haven't had any luck yet. Perhaps other WI Creekers might have suggestions?

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Larson
    For domestic lumber, they tend to be 50% or so cheaper than say Owl Hardwoods. For exotics, KMH is in the same ballpark as the Chicago area stores. By the way, if you've never taken a field trip to Owl, you really should the next time you're down that direction. Lots of beautiful wood to look at there! Dan
    Dan, I live about 15 min from OWL and have to concure on the extensive stock. I just stood in awe last week at a 4/4 almost 4'x7' slab of figured bubinga, looked like a thousand eyes staring back, but at something like $600+ I just stare. Sometimes convienence overrides price for me but I am in the market for some 10/4 hard maple for a bench top and Owl seems a little high. Might try Badger or Hardwood Connection in Sycamore IL.
    David Mueller

Knowledge gained is directly proportional to the amount of equipment destroyed.

Are people ready?

I build boxes out of spalted wood and drift wood. Some people are just not ready for this type of work. It seems that they want "Perfect" wood. While I like the idea most people want something mass produced cheaply in China and sold at Walmart.