Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rustproofing Tools

Rustproofing Tools

“Rustproof” with routine care, that is….nothing I know of will prevent steel from rusting some when put away wet in warm weather, especially when covered with sweaty, salty fingerprints. If your tools are used indoors and live in a heated shop, you might not benefit much from this other than a good way to hide rust staining that won’t buff off. If your tools live and work in wet, open boat sheds, however, then these methods may be of some benefit.

I’ve been looking for one of these large hand gouges or slick gouges for a long time to compliment my heirloom 3” slick. When a good bit of stock requires removal to fit two large timbers together, the gouge works like a scrub plane to remove high spots and set the depth of the cut, to be smoothed afterwards using the slick.

This one is unmarked, and quite old, with both a hammer-welded socket and laminated blade. After rough wire-brushing, you can see the hard-steel, cutting-edge lamination to a softer body, both on the bevel…

…and the back. Used in a shipyard somewhere on the coast of New England, it is badly pitted, although its 20-degree paring bevel is still surprisingly sharp. It also has a hole in the socket to secure the gouge’s handle with a screw, a safety measure that was required in many yards.

To put it back into service, the first step is grinding out the pits on the hard, cutting-edge side of the gouge using the belt sander with 60 thru 150 grit belts in succession…

…and the pitting in the softer body and socket steel drawfiled out. Not all of the backside pits could be removed without thinning the lamination too severely, but the few remaining can be worked around in future resharpenings. I do nothing to the gouge’s cannel or inside face, because it isn’t necessary.

A soft wire brush used against the direction of grinding and filing smoothes the surface…

…and the freshly-cleaned steel is treated overnight with phosphoric acid, which reacts with any remaining rust in the pits to form harmless iron phosphate, which also leaves a gray surface on the clean steel. This is basically the same treatment developed during WWI to “Parkerize” bare steel in military weapons….and is still used today.

While the phosphoric acid is working, I turn a handle…

Continued…
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

…and fit it to the socket.

As I really only need the iron phosphate residue to seal the remaining pits, which are magnets for the salt and moisture that causes more rust, I buff off the gray iron phosphate using green rouge on an 8-inch, 1750-rpm wheel to bring the steel surface to a high shine. A soft wire brush can also be used to remove the gray before buffing, but with the danger of digging out the iron phosphate protecting the remaining pits.

Then I degrease, first using mineral spirits to clean off the rouge, followed by trichloroethylene to remove the mineral spirits and bring the steel to a state of surgical cleanliness. Rubber gloves are worn to both prevent fingerprints and protect the skin from the TCE, a strong solvent and suspected carcinogen…and the gouge placed on a clean, paper surface.

When the TCE is dry, I liberally swab the steel with a proprietary phosphate bluing preparation made by Brownell’s in Iowa. This isn’t just any cold, touch-up gun blue sold at sporting goods stores…you’ll find the after rust on those disastrous and their durability and protection minimal. This phosphate blue builds up on the surface of the steel to the point where water puddles on it, and applied correctly, is extremely durable.

Note throughout that I pour the solution into a separate pan so as to not contaminate the container with dirty swabs and expended chemical.

After the first swabbing, I place the wet gouge on a slightly-warm stove for the bluing solution to work for 5 minutes or so and then to dry. Then I degrease again using TCE and apply a second coat of bluing using a gray Scotchbrite pad vigorously, doing my best to scrub off the first coat of bluing. I repeat the drying and degreasing procedure, and apply a third coat using a milder white Scotchbrite pad. After drying, I hand buff using soft paper towels before applying oil. Each cycle burnishes the steel and adds to the durability of the surface, and you can do as many as you like…

…but I find that three coats is usually sufficient for water to puddle on the surface before any oil is applied. Oiling the steel liberally afterwards is essential for the first 24 hour “after rust” period, then you can degrease using mineral spirits and apply paste wax if that’s your preference. As oily rags are easier to come by than paste wax wherever I happen to be working, I stick with oil.

After oiling, I mount the fitted handles using dyed, thickened marine epoxy…

…file and hone a new bevel….

Continued….
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

…and try the crossgrain paring of White Oak the gouge was designed for. The gouge isn’t as prone to following the grain and digging in like the slick, and both together…

…make a nice, matched pair.

bob, very interesting thread, i had never heard of bluing chisels...thanks, tod

Bob an informative post! I always read your posts from top to bottom. Most of it is over my head, but I do take what I can to the shop for use.

Jim

Bob,
    Thanks for taking the time to share another interesting technique. Much appreciated.
    Ted

Thanks for the information Bob (and great pictures). It's nice that you post these tidbits of info without being asked. Craftsmen like you are what attracts me to this hobby. The sharing of your knowledge is greatly appreciated.

Great post! I like how you deal with the pits. Your approach seems sound and can obviously be applied to many other tools in the same shape.

Thanks for the pics and sharing your insight.

Thumbs up Rust Proofing Tools

Thanks Bob, for another learning experience on my part. Have the best of New Years.

Rob Will Guest
    Thanks Bob, I can find a lot of uses for this around the farm.

Thanks Bob! As always your articles are well presented and interesting! I'm waiting for your book to be published!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Bob,
    Another thanks for a fine presentation. I think Ken said he was waiting for your book, I am too, but 'till then I print out every article you post and keepthem in a looseleaf. Its my primer.
    Ed

Bob,

I agree with others, what a great post. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Les

Thanks again Professor!

Bob,
    Thanks again for more information that I never knew or even thought of.
    You are truly a great craftsman and I think you deserve the title of
    "Professor Smalser" considering your wealth of knowledge!

Bob -

As always, an excellent tutorial; great photos and easy to follow text.

I also enjoyed your article on chisels in a recent FWW. Your background in boat building and restoration provides some of the most unique and interesting woodworking projects I've seen on the net. Your work is a paradigm shift from straight board woodworking, but the knowledge is transferable in many situations. Is it true that you have a book in the works?

Thanks for sharing.
    rick
    "There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Dave Barry