Thread: Beveled Box with a Rabbited Lid

Beveled Box with a Rabbited Lid

This is the second box in book "Box Making Basics". It means I've progressed from page 31 to 34! The box it made from quarter-sawn Sycamore and measures 4 1/2 deep by 6 1/4 wide by 1 9/16 tall. It is a slightly late Christmas present for my neighbors daughter.
    box2.jpg
    box2_rear.jpg
    box2_open.jpg
    It came out better than the first box I made. This time I cut the miters on the table saw instead of using the SCMS. I used my Dubby and set it to 45 degrees by eye. I have since invested 3.99 in an artists triangle! Still, the miters are almost perfect!

The keys were easier to cut as I acquired a Whiteside slot cutter and arbor to replace the little 1/4 shaft router bit I used last time. Much nicer and it allowed me to use the jig I built to hold the box and keep my fingers at a safe distance. (Still have all ten!)

I didn't use clamps this time when assembling the carcass instead taping the sides together and rolling them up. This was easier and worked well. I used blue painters masking tape I had laying around and found it stretches. Next time I'll round up some real packing tape.

The finish is Deft lacquer, another first for me. Too cold in the shop for finishing so I spread garbage bags out on the kitchen counter and worked in the house. It went well and I am pleased with the result.

Now I need to make another out of the mystery wood I brought home from the dump for my daughter. Then its on to page 37 - Lever-Action Pen-and-Pencil Box!

Thanks for looking.

Dave Fried

Nice box David. Can you describe the process of how the box was beveled? Are the sides just thinner at the top or was the beveling accomplished via the joinery? There was some discussion a while back about how to accomplish this but it went over my head.

I've been building some boxes of my own lately and was just interested in your technique.

Great box! I like the wood you used.
    Don

I like it! It is simple yet elegant looking.

David!
    The slight angle upward angle on the side of that box makes me think of ancient Japanese castle walls as those of Himeji.

Excellent!

Frank

Dave, the box turned out great. Very nice present. I'm sure it will be cherished.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Neel
    Can you describe the process of how the box was beveled? Are the sides just thinner at the top or was the beveling accomplished via the joinery?
    Richard,

I followed the instructions in the book so it's not really my technique. The instructions called for tilting the blade on the table saw to 5 degrees and running the box through.

As I have a right tilt Unisaw I sat back to think about this. I didn't think I wanted the box trapped between the blade and the fence. I considered moving the fence to the left of the blade but then I would need to set it twice to cut the ends and sides. Finally I remembered I still have a nice Incra miter guage that I hardly ever use. I raised the blade all the way up trying to get it to cut on a downward stroke to minimize tearout. I still had a little, this wood seems prone to it, and sanded it out. I looked at the base of the box and decided to use my rip blade as I would be cutting with the grain. I forgot that the top, cut at the same time, is a small slab and when cutting the ends I would be cutting the top across the grain. Had I realized this I would have cut the ends first so that the tear out would have been cut off when cutting the long sides. Oh well, live and learn.

Dave

The box came out real nice, Dave. I've got the same book, and your examples look as good as those shown in it. It's cool to see you're noticing the "gotchas", so you can try to avoind them in the future. (Rest assured, there is always a surplus of gotchas.)

- Vaughn

Dave,
    I really like the proportion and simplicity....beautiful work too!
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Tuinstra
    Very nice present. I'm sure it will be cherished.
    I think so. Seems she got six pairs of earrings for Christmas that are going right in the box! Sometimes these thimgs work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan
    It's cool to see you're noticing the "gotchas", so you can try to avoind them in the future. (Rest assured, there is always a surplus of gotchas.)

- Vaughn
    I seem destined to make every mistake once. I'm really trying not to make them twice! Occasionally I invent a gotcha just to keep it interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dean
    Great box! I like the wood you used.
    Thanks! I waited until the last minute and the only place open to get wood was Woodcraft . I thought I would get a small piece of some exotic but then I looked at thier price list. Suddenly this of Sycamore jumped out (5.82 bdft). Half light wood and half dark (I'm assuming sap and heart wood) with a cool Coca-cola emblem wave and lots of flecks and rays. I could see the box!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    I really like the proportion and simplicity
    Me too - wish it was my design!

11. A simple box done well is still a very nice box. This is a very nice box!
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Very very nice work David. That box is on my to do list as well!! Congrats!

Corey

Beautiful job, David.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Very nice work Dave, the box turned out wonderful.