Thread: Mobile base

Mobile base

How Timely Perhaps someone can borrow an idea or 2. I've had this project in the works whenever time permits. I was using a Delta mobile base with my Grizz 1023, but it was really overloaded. First, the Delta base is rated for 300 lbs. the Grizz is more. Second, I think the width of the saw and router table extension was too wide for a single castering wheel; moving one way was OK, the opposite direction wasn't, the castering wheel had too much weight on it to be able to swivel around.

I considered the various cabinet saw mobil bases available but it appeared that I'd have to squat down and turn a knob to transfer the weight of the saw from the casters to the stationary base. I move my saw too often for that to be optimum. Beside, I wanted to try out my $89 harbor freight welder . The frame is 1 1/2" square tube. I had them cut at the store so the cuts were square. My only powered means of cutting metal is a Sawzall and I wasn't that confident in my ability to get a good square cut. The flat stock is 3/16 X 1 1/2.

The pics should be pretty self-explanatory. I wasn't certain how using 2 Rockler lifting casters would work out but I'm pleasantly surprised. I was concerned the 1X4 between them would twist but it doesn't. It lifts evenly and easily. If there's a problem, it's with lowering the casters. It lowers quicker than I'd like. I can use one foot to lower and one foot to cushion the landing. Sounds impossible but it's not.

The other reason for building my own base was to have some support for the router table extension. I wasn't able to figure out a way using the commercial bases I was aware of to do what I did. The legs have a slot in the smaller piece so there is adjustment for height. The smaller piece goes into a U shaped socket on the bottom of the table and seems tight. I didn't do this to show off, really. If I had, I'd have used oak or ash, rather than the close relative to schlamaca that I did use. I believe the wood used is called "free" The steel cost about $23, the 2 lifting wheels were around $32 but I had a gift card for those. I hadn't welded for about 25 years but it's like riding a bicycle, it came back pretty quickly.

The project was worthwhile for me, and I'd do it again.

Curt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 12-29-2005 at 7:31 PM.

Well designed and built Curt!

Excellent design and construction Curt.

Frank

Curt-
    I have a question on the use of your mobile 1023. With it being 220, do you have a 220 extension cord or are you limited to moving it only as far as the cord reaches?
    Thanks,
    Hank

On my 1023, I hard wired 20' of 10gauge to it. I can move it anywhere in my garage, or even outside. Just coil up what I don't need by the outlet.
    Go Big, or Go Home... He who has the gold, makes the rules

Correct answer

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parks
    On my 1023, I hard wired 20' of 10gauge to it. I can move it anywhere in my garage, or even outside. Just coil up what I don't need by the outlet.
    It's pretty easy to take the starter apart and replace the cord. I just used 12 ga. rubber coated wire. It's a good idea to use a twist-to-lock plug so it doesn't come unplugged too easily.

Curt