Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lunchbox Planer Debate

I too have the Makita 2012nb. The most important thing for me was the amount of noise the machine would produce, since I do most of my woodwork in the evenings and during the weekend. The disposable blades are great and double sided and take me about 15 minutes to replace/swap. and the surface comes out really smooth. The thing I like the most is the automatic head lock. Just set up the thickness you want and start to plane. Lower the head and cut again no need to fuss with the head lock, not sure if the DeWALT has that functionality...

Quote Originally Posted by Burt Waddell
    I've been using basically makita 2012 and 2012nb planers for about 8 years now and can't say enough good things about them. I normally keep one for about 3 years putting about 5 to 6,000 feet thru it per year. In 8 years I have replaced one belt and that was because a knotgot hung in the planer. Other than that, there has been no maintnance cost. About 2 years ago, I bought the Delta 22-580 with the idea of selling the Makita and keeping the Delta. By the time I got the Delta set up the difference was evident. The Makita is just a much better built machine. I sold the Delta. I have no experience with the DeWalt but I understand that it is the loudest on the market while the makita is the quietest.
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

2. Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Ricks
    Good luck with the Delta, it should serve you well.

Stu - I had seen pictures of that Makita before. Out of curiosity, how well did the jointer work? (I already have a Powermatic Jointer, but always wondered how the Makita did)

-Ryan
    Ryan, the Jointer worked fine, for it's size etc, but now I have this one.....

....so you can understand why I don't use the little Makita one anymore

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyon
    My story is that I started with the Delta 560. This unit was so so -- my memory is that it sniped more then I liked. Then I got a chance to get a 15" Jet for a particularly good price and went with that for a few years. It was very LOUD, heavy, large and sniped even worse then the 560. Finally, to the universal acclaim of my highly structured nighborhood HOA, I purchased a DeWalt 735 and haven't looked back since. This machine has consistently produced a near snipe free cut everytime I use it -- and I've used it hard. Plus, unlike the Jet, blade changes are a snap!

I would purchase the DeWalt again in a second.
    Pete, I also had a Jet 15" planer for a little over a year. I never could get it to stop sniping and the surface wasn't as nice as my Delta 580 so I sold it.
    Dennis

Stu, does Makita still make stationary equipment? In 1986 I bought their 2040 planer and their 8" jointer (2010?). Still regret selling them to this day.

5. Yes they do John, but it is EXPENSIVE

If you go here this is the Makita online Catalog, in Japanese, and punch in 82 into the blank input space, that will take you to page 82 of the catalog, there you will find the planers and jointers. Keep flipping pages and you will see the stationary equipment. It is so expensive, they don't list the prices...

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Berg
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the positive feedback and advice that I get here.
    Even though for some reason, I really like the Dewalt more, I cannot justify the extra $100 for a refurbished one with tables.

I was able to order the Delta off of amazon for $318 ($368 + free shipping - $50 off a $250 order). Thought the $50 off deal ended on Wednesday but it showed up when I checked out.

Have a Happy New Year everyone!
    One thing that irks me about the DW735 is the folding extension tables. The rear table folds up to about 40 degrees and falls back down when you let go. As I had plans to store it in an existing place, I'm forced to remove the rear table each time I store it.

I'm still working on adapting a 6" DC duct to replace the 2.5" factory port. I'll try to post my solution for anyone interested.

Other than that, I have no complaints as it's a solid planer.