Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: SawStop files petition with CPSC.

Post SawStop files petition with CPSC.

I saw this on another forum and thought everyone here would be interested. SawStop the makers of a device that instantaneously stops a table saw blade when it contacts human skin has filed a petition (CP 03-2) with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to mandate that all table saws with blades 12" or under be outfitted with the technology.

SawStop's web site: http://www.sawstop.com
    CPSC Petition page: http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foi...tion/peti.html

What do you think?
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

While I agree with the idea of Sawstop, I don't agree that they should be a mandated accessory on every new tablesaw. They should devise a method that is easily retrofitted onto current saw designs and let the end user choose about its use.

I could say a lot more about this subject, but we don't do politics here

Ron

I'm with Ron on this one...we don't do politics on here, so I can't go into how much like tyranny/extortion/racketeering this is.

The market/manufacturers already said they didn't want SawStop, so that's no reason to go get it mandated. Not to mention that the petitioner stands to profit from any implementation of requirements.

Stinks no matter how you look at it.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

I am 110% against a mandated requirement for this device, especially when it is profit motivated.

I think the product is a good product if you want it, but I don't want it If it were mandated, I would be the first to disable it.

The question now becomes: how do you submit comments on the petition? I would be willing to send the people in DC my vote against the device.

When my shop was inspected for "occupancy," in order to get the electric meter set, I was required to install 20 some GFCI plugs just because I had a double door to the shop. Go figure So as the GFCI plugs fail, I will replace them with standard plugs, I have a box of them in the attic Another less than erudite requirement....
    Best Regards, Ken

Hi Paul

Thanks for the heads up and the links.
    The Large print givith
    and the fine print takith away

What do I think? I just came in from rototilling the garden in the bright sunshine and 110% humidity. I didn't think I coud get any hotter right now, but I am.

I have written at length on this Saw Stop thing, and I think the people trying to shove it down our throats are reprehensible - and they will probably succeed, considering how our society is trending towards a nanny state. I may have already crossed the line for this forum, and if I have, I apologize to you all.

Bill

I agree,
    I couldn't have said it as well as Bill, so let it surfice that I agree
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al

Cool

I'm not sure what the statistics today are, but I know a few years ago, the number 1 cause of personal injury was stairs. Yeah. You know...those things you go up and down to get from one level to another. Well, I do NOT recall the elevator companies mandating an end to stairs! How ridiculous. Plus, I'll just about bet that there are more injuries or some other form of damage done by kickback, rather than direct confontations with a spinning blade. (DAMHIKT ) No skin contact with the blade there!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by John Miliunas
    I'm not sure what the statistics today are, but I know a few years ago, the number 1 cause of personal injury was stairs. Yeah. You know...those things you go up and down to get from one level to another. Well, I do NOT recall the elevator companies mandating an end to stairs! How ridiculous. Plus, I'll just about bet that there are more injuries or some other form of damage done by kickback, rather than direct confontations with a spinning blade. (DAMHIKT ) No skin contact with the blade there!
    I also wonder how much of it is due to UTS (User Too Stupid) errors! I would bet that a large majority of flesh + blade accidents could have been avoided by using a more thoughtful approach.

Just like matches don't cause arson, tablesaws don't cause cut fingers.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Dan Bussiere Guest
    I am not in favor of anyone, no matter how well recieved their product is, mandating law for profit! Bill, if you crossed any lines of conduct here, I will gladly take your punishment, so speak on and charge it to me!
    Dan

It's a great invention.

I wouldn't mind having one, but I would rather not HAVE to buy it, only if I want to. Steve

Mt. Juliet, TN/ on the road full time in 38' Fleetwood Revolution Motor Home
    I don't like the idea of forcing something on the consumer and the tool folks that is going to make the company rich or put a lot of tool manifactures out of business.

My 2c.

Bill Roland

Since we're treading lightly here, I don't care whether it's for profit or not. I am not to stupid to take care of myself, I don't want or need the government to take care of me and I find the idea of making such things mandatory reprehensible.

There, I'll get off my soapbox now and put it away.
    SHERWUD in the beautiful sierra foothills East of Fresno, CA

I don't know what is technically within the realm of politics, but this probably is so I'll tread as lightly as my (hyper) conservative stance will allow. As long as people value themselves and their desires above and at the expense of those around them, we will remain on this downhill slide. I only see one answer and I *know* we can't thoroughly discuss that one here! But we have to USE some sort of accurate, honest moral guide if we desire to turn things around.

There, I did it. I crossed several boundaries. Sorry.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garlock
    When my shop was inspected for "occupancy," in order to get the electric meter set, I was required to install 20 some GFCI plugs just because I had a double door to the shop.
    Interesting, considering that one GFCI at the begining of the circuit protects the whole circuit. The only instance that I can see needing them in every location would be if the wiring itself was ungrounded. In that case, they are appropriate to protect you. Oh...another thought...did you have 20 circuits that needed protected?? That might make sense!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...