Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: SawStop files petition with CPSC.

Woodworkers Journal April issue has a few letters to the editor concerning this.

Yeah John stop staring....it could result in injury...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Patrick,

As one who installs, repairs and calibrates daily electonic equiments (CT & MR scanners, x-ray and mammography units) capable of using or producing high voltages (up to 150,000 vdc), 3-phase 480 vac, x-rays, rf energey (up to 20,000 watts), cryogens (Lhe) and dangerous electro-mechanical devices my personal safety as well as the safety of patients and other health care workers is of prime concern.

I read an article about Sawstop some months ago, viewed a video demonstration of their product shot at an Atlanta WW show and went to their web site. As I was in the process of replacing a 20+ year old DD t/s, I priced one of theirs. I could not justify the price difference.

If you want to buy a saw with the safety option...you can order one from them today.

Rather than making their saws price competitive, they have elected to force the competition to invest in their product or a similar product. What an neat idea.....have a federal agency regulate the competition to enlarge your personal market share........

I don't like the idea of them insulting my intelligence by saying their product should be mandatory on all manufacturer's products because they are interested in public safety. Their prime concern is increasing their market share and profits.

Jason, I don't know about the saw stop, but I surely am interested in your "paint director device". Could you come down on it just a tad for an ole Creek fellow dipper? I'm really hoping it will work with brushes too. How about containing overspray? You know... ole buddy... you need a partner???

Well, I do agree with you about the Saw Stop too. Increases in reglation always mean loss of freedom. It should be the users responsibility to learn the proper ways to use a tool. Any tool.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Roehl
    Patrick, I think your comment about your GFI popping shows that you have missed at least part of the point about SawStop. You're annoyed when you have to press a little red button for no reason just to use an outlet. What happens when the SawStop misfires? It's a piston that's rammed into the blade--you're out a blade and the cartridge for SawStop, not to mention the downtime as you wait for replacements.

Someone brought up airbags...I know airbags were around for at least 20-25 years before they started finding their way into cars and became mandatory. Why? Unproven technology.

How about this. What if I came up with a $400 tool that guaranteed no paint spillage while rolling paint on a wall and tried to get Wooster, Graco, Wagner, etc. to buy the technology. They subsequently turn me down because they know the market doesn't want it. So I try to market it myself...still no dice. My last resort? I go to the CPSC and get them to mandate its use when all paint is being applied. Now everyone has to buy MY technology, and I can name whatever price I want.

The bottom line is, THAT is NOT how AMERICA should work.

Oh, and if this does go through, suddenly a 13" TS sounds very appealing!

Saw Stop

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Geer
    I saw this on another forum and thought everyone here would be interested. SawStop the makers of a device that instantaneously stops a table saw blade when it contacts human skin has filed a petition (CP 03-2) with the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) to mandate that all table saws with blades 12" or under be outfitted with the technology.

SawStop's web site: http://www.sawstop.com
    CPSC Petition page: http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/foi...tion/peti.html

What do you think?
    Well, as ole Ronnie used to say; " We don't need more govment". Phil

I have been hesitant to post to this thread becouse I am one of the statistics spoken of. About one year ago I lost the first joint of my right middle finger in my table saw. The accident happened becouse of a error on my part and a slip on some sawdust on the floor in my shop. The saw stop probably would have saved my finger tip. I did have a overarm guard and splitter on my saw. Even knowing that the sawstop might have saved my finger, I still think the way that this company is trying to get thier product used is wrong.

SawStop petition

Quote Originally Posted by John Parker
    I have been hesitant to post to this thread becouse I am one of the statistics spoken of. About one year ago I lost the first joint of my right middle finger in my table saw. The accident happened becouse of a error on my part and a slip on some sawdust on the floor in my shop. The saw stop probably would have saved my finger tip. I did have a overarm guard and splitter on my saw. Even knowing that the sawstop might have saved my finger, I still think the way that this company is trying to get thier product used is wrong.
    John,
    I thank you for the courage to speak your mind on this matter. I admire you for your honest assessment of this matter. I usually stay out of these discussions, but I felt I had to get into this one. Following is a copy of an email I sent to the CPSC this morning. Everyone feel free to copy it and send it as is, or modify it to suit your own feelings. The email address is : info@cpsc.gov and the petition number is: CP 03-2.
    Thanks,
    Eddie Severt

Sirs,
    Regarding the above petition, I am of the opinion that this is an attempt to force mandatory regulation of a specific safety device solely for the profit of the only company that makes such a device. The mandatory added cost of approximately $400.00 per saw would effectively block me from purchasing a new saw that incorporated this safety device, even if I would want it. If you study the individual cases of injury caused by table saws, it becomes apparent that "kickback" of the material being cut is the greatest cause of injury. I would like to see this product as an option on new saws, but I must strongly protest it being made a mandatory modification to all products in this area. Also, as proposed, this would not enhance workplace safety as most production shops use saws larger than the 12" suggested in the petition as the maximum size. I thank you for your careful consideration of this matter.
    Sincerely,
    Edward Severt
    Box 275
    Bolt, WV 25817
    Eddie in So. West Virginia BP

The fact is, if tool companies were honestly concerned about safety they would have picked up on this right away.

Patrick, I have to respectfully disagree with you. In our excessively litigious society, perhaps the worst position manufacturers could be in is to tout a new safety feature that protects users in this way. They would in effect be telling purchasers that it's OK to ignore basic tablesaw safety. All this is well and good, but when the first SawStop malfunction happens - and it WILL happen - and results in severe injury to someone who had relied on the promise of protection, well, that company will at minimum have a new owner.

I agree safety breakthroughs should be considered by all reasonable folks. I also prefer that they be available aftermarket so I'm able to choose for myself. But for someone in a monopoly position to attempt to legislatively mandate use of their technology, which has been rejected by manufacturers on grounds of cost and the liability issues I mention above, I'll do my best to ensure the SawStop petition is rejected.

[I hope this is not too strident, and if it is, I encourage the moderator to delete it.]

Thanks-
    Bill
    Last edited by Bill Karow; 03-05-2004 at 10:11 AM.

I see a slightly different angle on this.

If I, as a machinery manufacturer, saw a device coming on the market that may enhance my machine and hence the sale of my machine which of the following would I do:

1. Immediately purchase the device from the devices originator and pay his or her price?

2. Since I have a full staff of machinery designers that are being paid to sit at my desk, would I have them start looking at the device, look at the patent on the device, look at other similar devices, take them apart, see what makes them tick. Knowing full well that all patent applications have as many holes in them as Swiss cheese, wouldn't i then design my own version of the device that works on my machine? Then wouldn't I hold that design to see if the market demands it? If there was no demand for the new device, just leave it in the files somewhere? If there was a small demand that I could profit from, make it available as an option on my machine? If there was a great hew and cry amongst the customer base to offer a saw with the device, then trot it out at the next major woodworking exhibition with a bunch of good looking babes sticking hot dogs into the blade to show how my device works better than the one that my competitor is flogging?

I see no reason that any manufacturer of table saws would feel the need to promote something that would turn all the profit over to someone else.

And don't tell me about corporate greed and all the fingers laying around in all the wood shops all over the world. I know people get injured, but the only one that can prevent the injury is the person standing at the saw.

I think the sawstop is a good idea. Am I going to buy one? No, I think a splitter, blade guard, and other accessories used properly will do everything the sawstop can do. The sawstop protects your hands by immediately stopping the blade if your hand touches it. The splitter/blade guard/accessories do it by keeping your hands away from the spinning blade.

I am definitely not in favor of legislature to make sawstop mandatory. I already fired off an e-mail to tell them what I think and encourage others to do so too. Write your elected officials too.
    Dennis

David Blangger Guest
    Patrick hasn't posted since last year. Could it be he has ties with *saw stop* hmmmmmmm

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Political Debate

This thread has migrated to a political debate which is in violation of the Sawmill Creek Terms of Service. Therefore I have closed the thread to further posting.

"Your Friendly Moderator"
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.