Thread: Jointer Table Tolerences

Jointer Table Tolerences

I'm having some jointer issues with my 6" Bridgewood...

I was milling some poplar earlier this week. A couple of 6' boards were bowed along the length. My normal technique is to place the concave side down so the the high points are at the ends. I made a few light passes (1/32) until the whole board was being cut. So, I thought the board was flat. After checking for flatness against a straight edge (ripped 3/4 birch ply on edge), the piece was still bowed.

My next step was to check the tables. The outfeed table was checked for coplaner with a 24" LV steel straight edge. It was basically dead on. Then I check for any sagging on the outfeed side. Using the infeed table as my reference point, I placed a few inches of the straight edge on the infeed side and pressed down to check the outfeed side. The outfeed was off by .004. I also reset the outfeed height and reran the board. It still has a bow.

So, could the .004 sag in the outfeed be causing it? Is it the nature of poplar being springy? I try to run my boards with just enough pressure on the outfeed side to pull the board across and take very light cuts.

Thanks, Mike

Jointers are strange animals. Lots of skill? Then, often, an operator can joint perfectly even if the machine is "out". SOme tips at the FAQ no.12 link.

Notwithstanding, I'm thinkin' your pressing the bow out, only to have it bounce back after a pass.

What to do? Just pull the ends, one at a time, across the blades until they're even with the center (Bow down). Once the ends quit cutting, take one light pass from end to end.

Pat - Thanks, I'll give it a try. I think poplar is too soft to get good results on the longer boards.

Mike

Michael,
    i think Pat is correct...it may be technique. The pressure starts down on the in feed table.....and once there is a good length on the out feed table apply the pressure there...
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"