Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocket screws question

Pocket screws question

I need to find a new source for pocket screws. I finally bought a rocket jig but our Lowes is always out of screws and people at the two hardware stores I went to today condescendingly told me there was no such thing as a pocket screw. One of them did backtrack after another customer told him that he also used pocket screws.

Who is the best to order from? I was looking to buy in quantity of 500 or 1,000.
    Many thanks
    James
    Last edited by James Ayars; 01-11-2006 at 2:23 PM.

McFeelys.com

James,

Another vote for McFeely's, www.mcfeelys.com, 800-443-7937.

They have the standand coarse and fine treaded #6 screws but Ive converted to their "super-eight", #8 instead #6 for added strenght and coarse for both hard and softwood in addition to MDF and particle board. They also have the longer screws for 2-by's and in both standard and "no-co-rode", a rust resistant coating.

Regards, Joe
    Two weeks, your project will be done in two weeks!!! (From the Money Pit)

I buy mine from McFeeley's too...I particularly like the non-washer flat head style as they are also useful for other things in a pinch while looking good if exposed.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I also buy from McFeely's. In addition, you can buy pocket screws from Kreg and at Rockler stores or catalog. I'd stick to buying mops and brooms at those hardware stores you visited! Happy New Year!!!
    Dave Falkenstein aka Daviddubya
    Cave Creek, AZ

Well guys, it looks like McFeely's is the winner. I appreciate the words of wisdom.

Joe, no problem with splitting using a coarse thread in hardwood?

I tried the Kreg jig and a couple of the screws it came with today on some scrap 1x cedar and pine. Once I put the base plate on correctly it worked pretty easy and made a great joint.

Thanks gain.
    James

Amazon has Kreg screws as well. 500 and 1000 packs. I just paid $20.94 for the 1000 pack. I think that's a good price but I've not bought any before so I can't be sure. Another source though.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.

Remember the trick to off putting a sheet of paper folded between the jig and the upper piece. Once the scew bites and pulls tight, it can sometimes pull the joint out of alignment. The paper trick seems to be about the right amount of shim to prevent this.

James,

While I like the "Super8" from McFeeley's I have found that the fine thread screws are still very much necessary in hard/brittle woods such as white oak and hard maple. I would also encourage you to order some 1" as well as the standard 1 1/4" as they come in very handy for 3/4" applications where the material was planed a little thin or when a split begins to develope in a standard thickness, hard wood application.

...Jim in Idaho

Being that you are not too far from me, Woodcraft and Woodworking Store in Raleigh both carry them if you don't mind making the drive.

Travis, I was thinking of making a run up to Raleigh to do that. I visit that Woodcraft a couple times a year. I didn't know Rockler had a store in Greensboro. Is that the one you were referring to? If so, how does it compare to Woodcraft?

Jim, I'm going to attempt to make a dresser/changing table for our next child due in March. I was thinking of using oak or poplar and thought I would have to use a fine thread, but wanted to make sure.

I have little experience building furniture. Most of my building has been in construction framing, roofing and rough carpentry. I'm both anxious to start and nervous about screwing up with this dresser piece.

I may be asking for advice from time to time and don't be suprised to hear a few screams coming from Southern Pines NC.
    James
    Last edited by James Ayars; 01-11-2006 at 2:26 PM.

I use Quickscrew brand. I purchase from my cabinet hardware supplier.
    1 1/2" are 11.00 per thousand at 8000 per order.

McFeeley's was always a little too high for me. I'm a shopper I guess.

I don`t know how close you are to a city of any size.
    I know in Des Moines there are several Contractor Supply and tool stores that have 1000 lot boxes for around $20.00.
    You should be able to find them in any city of size.

Not to brag but it`s only 35 miles to Huxley, and Kregs plant.

Thanks for the responses. I think I will be making a trip to Raleigh to Woodcraft or giving McFeeley's a try. Thanks again.
    James

I got mine from Amazon, but I had a $25 certificate that was expiring
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"