Thread: Dawn Redwood box

Dawn Redwood box

I have no idea what the difference between Dawn Redwood and regular redwood is.... Dave Smith will have to answer the question. A while back he sent me a nice piece of wood that was labeled Dawn Redwood. I had it sitting in my box of stuff that was promising as box stock and finally decided to turn it. It turned somewhat better than any redwood I have previously turned and had no tear out or splintering problems. The finished box is 2 1/4" in diameter and 3" tall.

Thanks Dave!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Mike, very nice. I really like boxes with that slight concave radius in the side profile. It just plain "does something" to them that I love!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thumbs up

Another winner Mr. Box Master!
    I like Jim love the shape of this one!
    Great job as usual!
    Have Chainsaw- Will Travel

Dawn redwood was thought to be extinct. There are fossil records in North America of the tree up to 10,000 years ago. The tree was discovered growing in a remote valley of China in the 1940's. It has been extensively planted as an ornamental yard tree in the US and Canada. This particular tree was growing in front of what is now my shop. Dawn redwood drops its needles in the fall. Quite a shock for me when we first moved into this house. I thought I had killed the tree.

The wood is very soft and I have had a heck of a time trying to turn bowls from the trunk. I resorted to soaking roughed out bowls in thinned lacquer which helps. The piece I sent you is heart wood that is a little harder than sap wood. You did a nice job with the soft wood. I'll bet it weighs next to nothing.

Dave Smith

Full of a lot of useless information in Longview, WA.
    "Every man is as heaven made him and sometimes a great deal worse."
    Cervantes

Another very cool box Mike! It;s a beauty!

Corey

You continue to amaze me with your beautiful boxes Mike. Great job.

Ernie

That is another great one Mike. Wonderful job.
    Dick

No Pain-No Gain- Not!
    No Pain-Good

Great box Mike. It is beautiful.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Golly, Big Mike, can't you make a bad one now and then? It's a stupendous one for sure ! Love the form and detail at the joint.

Michael,
    Very nice indeed.
    Frank

It really doesn't look like any kind of redwood that I've seen. But then Dave just explained why. The shape of this one is very attractive Mike. The whole piece...perfect as always.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Great job on the box Mike - the grain is beautiful.
    As an aside, we planted a dawn redwood in front of our house about six years ago. The neighbor had a good laugh at our new tree since the tree was only four feet tall and as thick as my pinky. It's now taller than the house (20+ feet) and has a really nice shape. This summer he came over to ask what kind of tree it was - his wife would like to plant one in the back yard .

Wes

Very nice Michael, If you dont beat all.......... just give you a piece of wood and you will come up with another beautiful box

Bob