Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lathe, lots o'wood...no tools

Question New lathe, lots o'wood...no tools

Yesterday was my ninth anniversary and my DH bought me a Rikon Mini lathe and a Grizzly chuck. I have some bowl and gobblet blanks left from my Woodcraft Beginning turning class, and am DYING to get started!!! There is only one problem, the 3 peice tool set that was supposed to come with my lathe (special promo sale) didn't show up with my lathe. Being as it is sunday and a holiday, I can't find any place to get any tools. Is there anyone out there in the North Texas area that would be willing to part with a beginning gouge set for cheap???

Thanx, Lizzy

Welcome Lizzy and congratulations on your anniversary!!

It seems like there would be a Sears open in some mall. No mall in the Houston area closed today anyway. I don't know the quality of these tools, but they do cary them. Good luck.

Ernie

Welcome Lizzy! I'd drive over and give you some tools but I wouldn't get there till Tuesday. Lots of Stores open today though!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Talking <Feeling very welcomed>

Thanx Guys!!

I tried the sears website, and they don't have anything in stock at the store level, has to be shipped. I guess I'll just have to wait till the three I have on order get here...Meanwhile I'll knit something.....

Lizzey, is there a Harbor Freight near by. hey open out here and they have aaan 8 piece set made from HSS and it less then $50.

Welcome Lizzy ! Can't wait to see your work.

Lizzy,

First, welcome to the SMC. Great place to learn and a good group of folks.

Might check the Rockler store in Mesquite. I believe they are open today. I'm not sure about the Woodcraft store in Addison.
    Mike

"The only real valuable thing is intuition." - <CITE>Albert Einstein</CITE>

Lizzy - Welcome to SMC. Just peeked at your webpage and absitively can't wait to see some of your turnings all dressed up with frosting. MMmmm Good!

None of us here really know much about anything specifically, but collectively we fumble along in a nice contended and ignorant way.

I'm sure Carole will be delighted to learn of your arrival, but watch out for her. She can be really mean on alternate Thursdays.
    Only the Blue Roads

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hoyt
    I'm sure Carole will be delighted to learn of your arrival, but watch out for her. She can be really mean on alternate Thursdays.
    I'll have you know, Andy, that I have resolved in 2006 not to be mean on alternate Thursdays. I have decided that it will be more fun if you never know WHEN I am going to bite...sort of like a junkyard dog.

Welcome, Lizzy! I could use some help keeping this crew in line.

Hi Lizzy,
    Welcome to SMC, the place to be. Hay,. that sounds good.
    Now if the other half doesnt read this post I will give you a hint in a pinch.
    When I was a young pup, and only had a general idea which way a lathe was suppose to turn, my father was always looking for his screw drivers. Now, NOT the best choice, but a quick re-grind, and one can serve as a pretty good skew. The fat really hit the fan, when he couldn't find his tire iron.
    If your going into a panic attack, for lack of a tool, this may help.

However some put this in the light of, "Primitive Pete".

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Lizzy, welcome to SMC. And welcome to "the addiction"...you will be assimilated...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Welcome Lizzy, I am so new that I don't know if I am supposed to say that but welcome anyway.

Cheers
    Gordon

Gordon...I don't believe there's a predetermined time that you're supposed to wait before saying "Welcome".

In this house...Once you're inside...Your a member of the family!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Welcome to creek!!!! Your going to have great time, and way to go to the DH.
    As for tool I would check out Penn State http://www.pennstateind.com/. You can pick up some tools for a good price, and the quality is not bad.
    Tony Sizemore

"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."

-Robert Kennedy

Talking Wow!!

Thanx so much for all the great ideas!! We didn't know there was a Rockler store here, but now we do and we can go there after we hit the Harbor Freight in Richardson...Hope they are open tomorrow!!