Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Activating DC using current transformers

Activating DC using current transformers

I can't remember when or where I saw it (seems to happen more and more) but I think it was either Popular Mechanics or FWW there was a design for using CT's to turn on your DC when you turned on a tool. I have been digging around and can't find it, does anybody out there have any ideas? It is a nice clean solution especially if you run your shop of a sub panel because it only requires two ct's for single phase and three for three phase, I can't remember if the original design had a delay timer for the shutdown but that would be a nice feature to have too.

Chris

FW originally published an article on this topic and reprinted it in a compilation book called The Small Wood Shop in The Best of Fine Woodworking series. (1ISBN 1-56158-061-9) The latter may be out of print...my copy was in a bargan bin at the now-defunct Woodworker's Warehouse several years ago. The article in the book does not indicate what magazine issue it was originally published in. You might want to contact Taunton Press about that.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You might try your local library for the book Jim mentioned. Ours has a lot of books from that series.

4. I mentioned this in another thread, and I found the warning in the Oneida Gorilla DC I/O manual:

Quote Originally Posted by Oneida

Single phase motors should only be started and stopped up to 4 - 10 times per hour. Starting single phase motors more frequently can cause heat build up and can cause the motor overload to trip or cause motor damage.

Have any of you found this to be true? I'm afraid that a voltage sensing switch would cycle the DC on and off too much.

I actually stop my table saw after every operation, which I have to do for safety reasons (can't really change the blade tilt or elevation with the blade spinning!) I'll leave the band saw running between cuts, but if I know I'm going to work on some other operation, off it goes.

[Edited to remove some weird formatting that happened when I did a cut and paste from the PDF file from Oneida]
    Last edited by Frank Hagan; 12-31-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Frank, I heard that starting and stopping was bad as well. I recently wired my blower to turn on when I open a blast gate. The side effect is that the system starts and stops more frequently, which is not good. I have a PLC that I use to control heating & cooling, and I'm thinking of using a timer in there to add a delay so that the blower keeps running for a minute or two after closing a gate, allowing me to move to another machine. Right now, I just open the second gate before closing the first. I also just let it run if I'm working at the same machine for a while, but still shut down the machine. Can't do that with the current transformers though.

I've been using Penn State's Long Ranger (wired version) for about two years now. Works great, and is simple to implement. Blast gates cost a little more but not too bad.
    By leaving the gate open, DC keeps running when tool is shut down - saves motor start cycles. I also have a 3 way blast gate manifold for my TS, Planer & Joiner - when I change tools, I open next gate before shutting last gate.

7. I'm thinking when I get my new DC, I'll just let it run while I'm working in the shop. I'll probably plan to try and group things like cutting, sanding and the like so they happen sequentially. I rarely get the opportunity to spend more than a couple of hours at a time anyway.

The Oneida I/O manual shows a Heavy Duty X-10 Appliance Module for their remote; I would think you could put one together with X-10 Modules from Radio Shack or from parts on-line.

Rob Will Guest

CT output?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Gregory
    I can't remember when or where I saw it (seems to happen more and more) but I think it was either Popular Mechanics or FWW there was a design for using CT's to turn on your DC when you turned on a tool. I have been digging around and can't find it, does anybody out there have any ideas? It is a nice clean solution especially if you run your shop of a sub panel because it only requires two ct's for single phase and three for three phase, I can't remember if the original design had a delay timer for the shutdown but that would be a nice feature to have too.

Chris
    I have been thinking about the same thing. It seems to me that a time-delay relay would do the trick. If so equipped we would need a separate emergency shut off in case of some malfunction. i.e. your toupee gets sucked into the DC.
    Somebody fill me in.......what sort of output can we expect from a CT and can it be used directly on a relay coil?

Rob

It was FWW #143, pp 66-69.

The key element in the system is the current sensor. The author used one from SSAC (ssac.com). If you can't find the FWW article, you may find their web site informative.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Hagan
    The Oneida I/O manual shows a Heavy Duty X-10 Appliance Module for their remote; I would think you could put one together with X-10 Modules from Radio Shack or from parts on-line.
    I used to use the X-10 system with my Oneida setups...but kept burning out the HD switch modules...costly over time. Since then I "switched" to a contactor setup so that the 240v power cut-off for the motor is more appropriate for the application and control that via 120v. (I've posted about it here at SMC and so has Dennis Peacock who I patterned my system after) Although I used to have a switch at every major tool (multiple remotes) I now have a single switch centrally located in the shop and frankly, it's not a hassle. And I just let the system run while I move from machine to machine when that is practical and appropriate. That said, for a "weekend warrior", it's less likely that more frequent off/on cycles are going to be a problem, but the chance remains, nonetheless.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Chris, if you don't mind beating up on electrons, it is pretty easy to build your own current actuated switching system. All my stationary power tools are set up to activiate the cyclone dust collector when the tools is turned on.

One of my previous posts show some pictures of my setup. Since the posting, I have added a 11,000 Mfd capacitor across the relays to hold the cyclone on for about 15 second after the tool is turned off. The current switch I bought from CR magnetics in St. Louis, MO.
    Last edited by Ken Garlock; 01-01-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    Best Regards, Ken

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    I used to use the X-10 system with my Oneida setups...but kept burning out the HD switch modules...costly over time. Since then I "switched" to a contactor setup so that the 240v power cut-off for the motor is more appropriate for the application and control that via 120v. (I've posted about it here at SMC and so has Dennis Peacock who I patterned my system after) Although I used to have a switch at every major tool (multiple remotes) I now have a single switch centrally located in the shop and frankly, it's not a hassle. And I just let the system run while I move from machine to machine when that is practical and appropriate. That said, for a "weekend warrior", it's less likely that more frequent off/on cycles are going to be a problem, but the chance remains, nonetheless.
    That's what I'm thinking ... a manual switch in my small shop won't be an inconvenience, especially for the limited lengths of time I actually get to spend. Its very rare that I'm in the shop for more than 3 - 4 hours at a time, and usually its an hour or two. I can easily see switching on the DC as part of my set up process, and then shutting it down when I know I'm finished making dust.

Rob Will Guest
    Ken, what do you think about using a current sensing relay with a built-in on delay?
    This could feed a conventional off delay relay and in-turn a contactor for the DC. (?) This particular one goes to 60 amps.
    Rob

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" oreferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" oreferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><vath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></vath><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 110.25pt; HEIGHT: 75pt" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:title="4395a (147 x 100)" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\ROBBIE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\cli p_image001.jpg"></v:imagedata></v:shape><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><vath o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></vath><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype>

The CR4395 series Current Sensing Relay provides an effective and highly stable method for monitoring electrical current. The current-carrying wire is routed through the opening extending from the top of the case. When current reaches the level set by the trip point adjustment, the relay trips and starts the adjustable timer. After the timer cycles the electromechanical relay is energized. A precision voltage reference circuit ensures a highly repeatable trip point. Design of the power-on delay circuitry allows the supply power to be repeatedly cycled on and off, without affecting the stability of the current sensing operation

Rob Will Guest
    I'm trying to insert a pic of a relay for you to comment on.
    If I have a pic on my drive how to insert it here?

For now, here's a link to a product page.

http://www.crmagnetics.com/newprod/P...rodName=CR4395

Rob

Thanks gents you have definitely given me some food for thought, I hadn't considered the stop sart effect on the DC motor so I am thinking about a programmable timing delay on the shutdown possibly increasing the delay to 15 or 20 minutes would solve that problem. A kill switch would also be a good idea in case of a toupe or such getting sucked into the DC . I don't expect to be able to pony up the cash for a Clear Vue until the end of the month so I do have time to play around. We use to use a 555 IC timer chip for some projects (seems like eons ago) but that was a different application which was basically an adjustable on off timer, what we now need to add is a secondary circuit that will keep the relay latched for a predetermined time once power has been disconnected.
    Last edited by Chris Gregory; 01-01-2006 at 3:59 PM.