Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ollie's Here

Ollie's Here

No pictures yet but I picked up my new jointer from the freight terminal yesterday. Now all I have to do is offload it from the trailer into the workshop.

I was happy that picking it up at the freight terminal wasn't that big a deal. They have loading docks that are 18 wheeler height. They put straps around the crate and lowered it off the dock with a forklift. A little nerve racking but it went smoothly.

-Alden

Quote Originally Posted by Alden Miller
    No pictures yet but I picked up my new jointer from the freight terminal yesterday. Now all I have to do is offload it from the trailer into the workshop.

I was happy that picking it up at the freight terminal wasn't that big a deal. They have loading docks that are 18 wheeler height. They put straps around the crate and lowered it off the dock with a forklift. A little nerve racking but it went smoothly.

-Alden
    I just moved my oliie too yesterday. I moved my 24 inch oliver 166 from the shop onto my trailer and then drove it over to a barn and unloaded it into the barn. Used no fork lifts. Just four jack stands, a floor jack, a toe jack, my dollie rollers and my come-a-long. Nerve racking is looking at a 2300 pound jointer perched two feet in the air on jack stands. My hands are still shaking. No matter how many times I do this, it makes me nervous.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Congrats, Alden. I'm looking forward to the pics of that "stout" machine!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ollie has entered the building

Well, shed that is. I don't have to go to work until this afternoon so I took the opportunity to offload Ollie from the trailer. First I had to move the Airstream from in front of the shed where the jointer lives. Then I hooked the flatbed trailer up to my tractor and backed it up to the shop. It was perfect, it just fit between the doors and the edge of the trailer met the edge of the shop floor.

I don't know why I thought I could just push it off the trailer onto the shed floor but that was my optimistic wish. I put my back into it and the jointer didn't even move. After some head scratching I was able to use a combination of pry bars, pvc pipe, and a trolley jack to get it off the trailer.

Once it was 80% into the shed I pulled the trailer out from under it. Then I pushed it into the shed with the tractor.

How come I feel like I ran a marathon???

-Alden

Let that be a lesson to you... you should have bought my BW 6" and you could have moved it with no problems.

So does this mean you won't be getting your lumber skip planed anymore when we go to Hicksville?

BTW - no pictures = did not happen!

Pictures come later... Have to resize and upload them.

My legs and arms are telling me it happened!

-Alden

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    Alden,
    You're stalling!!!!!
    Let's see em.
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/

Pictures come later... Have to resize and upload them.

My legs and arms are telling me it happened!

-Alden
    Get used to it. Anything with OLIVER slobbered all over it will do that to you.

Learn to love the pain! The joy will follow. Now, I dont think I need to tell you that in your case, you need to bring the wood to the machine and not the machine to the wood. Can we call this the dead machine concept?
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Dev, you mean I can't use it like my Makita that I use for planing doors?

-Alden

Dev, you mean I can't use it like my Makita that I use for planing doors?

-Alden
    Sure just take the fence off. It will make it a little lighter!

Nothing worse than hearing you whine when you just got a 10" jointer. My heart goes out for you...

Ok, here's the picture

This is the last shot I got before the heavy work started. It has a nice small shed to be wedged into. I keep my performax and the jointer in here.

-Alden
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like you overloaded your trailer there. If you continue to treat your tools like that I'll have to come over and get that Ollie out of danger
    Making new friends on SMC each and every day

What jointer? I don't see no jointer!

This is the last shot I got before the heavy work started. It has a nice small shed to be wedged into. I keep my performax and the jointer in here.

-Alden
    Forget the jointer. I want the tractor!

Grand Marais, MN. A transplant from Minneapolis
    That's a start!!!! More...... Give me more!!!
    TJH
    Live Like You Mean It.

http://www.northhouse.org/