Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Delta DJ20 vs Grizzly GO490 jointers

Quote Originally Posted by William Bell View Post
    I purchased a DJ 20 in 1990 for $1400. It was made in Brazil. I have been completely satisfied with the jointer. I don't understand how the same machine now costs what I paid for it 26 and half years ago. According to an inflation calculator that is about $2800 in today's dollars. Is the build quality the same? I would like to think no. Circular saws that cost 150 dollars 30 years ago now cost 99 dollars. I don't think there the same either.

Exactly.

I want to know more about people who ahve been unhappy with the Grizzly jointers-from every woodworker I have actually talked to and every machine I have ever used, pretty good jointers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lakits View Post
    ...Even with the 1 1/2 hp motor the delta is by far better than my grizzly. The finish and the truness of the tables don't even compare. The base is better as well...

Just my opinion.
    Another 10+ year old thread resurrected! No problem with that as much useful info is brought back to life.

Just curious, as a totally satisfied G490x owner...

Fit and finish doesn't compare? Maybe so, but I can see my hand reflected in my tables, but I could not shave using the tables as a mirror. Are the tables on your old delta so much better? Maybe so, but I find mine more than satisfactory.

My tables seem to be true and the fence seems to be straight. I did check the tables with a Starret 4' straight edge upon delivery. Do not remember having any dissatisfaction.

The base on my G0490 is pretty good. I find the mobility function invaluable when I need to move the jointer to cut large sheet goods on my table saw. I did modify the base to make adjustment of belt tension easier. Other than that, the base is more than satisfactory for me. What makes the old DJ20 base superior?

I am wondering how much of your feeling is subjective as compared to objective. Have you measured the truness of the tables in order to make a valid comparison? Would be curious to know how much they differ and how.

You don't mention which Grizzly 8" jointer you have. Be curious to know.

Your opinion is valuable and if you can add further specific details I am sure they would be helpful to others in the future...perhaps in 2027...Ha, ha, just joking...

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen Grimes View Post
    Mark, maybe the way, I came to my decision can help you maybe not, but I'll tell you anyway. Last year I was going to buy the G0586 for 2 reasons. 1) It was the cheapest 8" jointer on the market, that I knew of, and 2) I have yet to read or hear a complaint about it.

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to buy it last year, since I found out in the early months of december that I am a few thousand dollars in debt together. So ofcourse I want to take care of that first.

So now the G0586 is 90 dollars more, but for only 50 dollars more you can get an extra horse, a parrallelogram and a mobile base. So I decided just to get the G0490 instead.

Basicly Im making a blind purchase, but the feeling I get from Grizzly customers in general is that they made high quality, low cost machinery, and right now, as somebody, planning to start a furniture business with less than no money, that is exactly what I need.
    Personally I think that you are making a very rational decision. I was going to buy the G0490 until the Powermatic 60 darn near literally fell into my lap at an astonishingly reasonable price in near mint condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Space View Post
    Another 10+ year old thread resurrected! No problem with that as much useful info is brought back to life.

Just curious, as a totally satisfied G490x owner...

Fit and finish doesn't compare? Maybe so, but I can see my hand reflected in my tables, but I could not shave using the tables as a mirror. Are the tables on your old delta so much better? Maybe so, but I find mine more than satisfactory.

My tables seem to be true and the fence seems to be straight. I did check the tables with a Starret 4' straight edge upon delivery. Do not remember having any dissatisfaction.

The base on my G0490 is pretty good. I find the mobility function invaluable when I need to move the jointer to cut large sheet goods on my table saw. I did modify the base to make adjustment of belt tension easier. Other than that, the base is more than satisfactory for me. What makes the old DJ20 base superior?

I am wondering how much of your feeling is subjective as compared to objective. Have you measured the truness of the tables in order to make a valid comparison? Would be curious to know how much they differ and how.

You don't mention which Grizzly 8" jointer you have. Be curious to know.

Your opinion is valuable and if you can add further specific details I am sure they would be helpful to others in the future...perhaps in 2027...Ha, ha, just joking...

Bill
    In something like 2005 or so Fine woodworking did a test and found the Grizzly to ahve the flattest and straightest beds and most true fence. I would buy a Grizzly jointer in a moment if I was unable to find a used Northfield for a reasonable price and if I had to replace my Powermatic 8 inch.

That being said, I know of some excellent 12 and 16 inch jointers in excellent condition for not much more coin. A certain nice Neuman 12 inch would seriously tempt me were I not trying to upgrade my thickness planer.

I think you have to be careful making too many judgements on the lower priced machinery without seeing several. The variation in each machine is great enough to make comparisons difficult. You can have a great example, and one not so great. Both within manufacturers specs. The risk you take is which one you are getting. I'll take a jointer I can measure over one unseen. Dave

There's nothing inherently bad about it, it falls squarely in the does what it should do category. I can't find anything mystical about it and got a good deal from a local guy while Grizzly has had the 490s on back order for the last few months. Ultimately I'll get out of it what I paid due to its legendary status and that makes me happy.

I have a Hammer A3-31 on order that will replace it.

No way would I pay anything over $800 for a dj-20 when a new grizzly g0490x with spiral cutter is $1400 shipped. I got
    One used for $700 but it took months of Craigslist waiting.

Sellers don't look at new prices with warranties when listing their stuff for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Irish View Post
    No way would I pay anything over $800 for a dj-20 when a new grizzly g0490x with spiral cutter is $1400 shipped. I got
    One used for $700 but it took months of Craigslist waiting.

Sellers don't look at new prices with warranties when listing their stuff for sale.

No, they really do not...