Thread: Dust Collector Fittings

Dust Collector Fittings

When I built my shop I plumbed 4" pvc in the ground before I poured the concrete floor and it has worked out ok. Connecting DC hose and fittings to the 4" pvc usually take a couple of turns of duct tape to get them to fit. It works but when you want to switch off that particular port for
    use on another machine it can sometimes be a PITA.
    I remember seeing somewhere adust collector fitting for adapting 4" DC hose to 4" PVC however I can't seem to find it. Woodcraft talks about on their website but doesn't seem to carry it. Does anyone know where to get such fittings???

Thanks & Happy New Year to everyone
    Rich

rich, i don`t know this for a fact but i would think a 4-3 reducer would get you close? if that proves to be to much restriction how about caulking the hose into a 4" coupler? just ideas..........02 tod

I just received new Catalogs from Rockler and Penn State in the mail in the last few days and saw the adapters you are talking about in both catalogs. They caught my attention because I am needing them also.

Rich, get yourself a 4" PVC coupling. Cram the flex hose into one end, and then you can slide the coupling on/off of your DC line. There is a ring around the inside of the coupling that, among other things, keeps the PVC from sliding too far into the coupling. Once you work your hose up to the ring, you can put some caulking around it to hold the hose in place. Or, you can use a couple short sheet metal screws from the outside to stop of the hose from working its way out.

The PVC coupling will be cheaper than a specialty interface.
    Best Regards, Ken

Tod,
    Caulking is a possibility but it bugs me that I have seen the hose to pvc fitting some place but can't find it now that I need a some..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Tate
    I just received new Catalogs from Rockler and Penn State in the mail in the last few days and saw the adapters you are talking about in both catalogs. They caught my attention because I am needing them also.
    Bob,

I checked the rockler web site and couldn't find them. If you could check the part number I'd appreciate it...

Thanks
    Rich

I will. I am at work now. I will post when I get home this evening.

Rich,

These are Woodcraft #145986; see item "P" at http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=899

The difficulty with marrying plumbing pipe, PVC or otherwise, to dust collection hose is that the nominal ID of plumbing pipe is 4", so the outer diameter is more. However, DC hose expects to attach to fittings with an OD of 4". Hence some type of adapter is needed. These adapters from Woodcraft are for the thin-wall drainage-type PVC, is that you put in the concrete?

FWIW I put ABS drainage pipe in my floor, which is Schedule 40 thickness, so the Woodcraft adapter did not work. However, since the ID of the pipe is only a little more than 4", the flange on an aluminum blast fits reasonably well, with only a little slop. If i cut the pipe square, I was able to get an airtight seal by using PVA glue on the blast gate. The glue doesn't stick particularly well to either the plastic or the aluminum, so I could change things around if needed. Caulk is another possibility.

I needed to make a connection for my DC to a PVC fitting yestrday. The fitting is a 3" Tee and I discovered that a piece of the Jet black pastic DC hose would just slip over the tee. I used a piece of hose about 3" long to couple the PVC tee to a blast gate and now I can connect the flex hose to the DC to the gate. I didn't really need the gate right now--I only hook up one piece of equipment to the DC at a time--but it was the only fitting I could get locally that would work.

Of course now I have a 9' 9" length of DC hose waiting to be used.

Rich; I think what you are looking for is a 4" splice. Here is the site that I order from .
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/ref=...ust+collection

If you are interested, you can see some pictures of various DC conncetions on my web side. http://www.creeksidewoodshop.com/CSWS-Workshop.htm

Ron,

Great work shop... I really liked how you connected the DC to the drill press...and yes I need to do that..

Barry,

Thanks for the llink, that's exactly what I was looking for.... don't know how I missed it...

Thanks to all for your help...

Rich