Thread: Something Old and Something New

Something Old and Something New

Here is two pieces that I have done and will keep in my collection. Now and then I like to look back on a peices that I did when I started and then compare them with one that I recently finished. The first one is out of Box Elder that I have done some pyro work on, it is about 7 inches wide and 2 inches high. The other one is one of my first turnings that was made form some Redwood that I had around when I got my lathe, it is about 7 inches tall and 4 inches wide at the widest point. I wonder if anyone else out there would want to show some of there before and after pic's so everyone can see where we have been and where we are going.

Have fun and turn one for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ok first one is the first two lamps I ever sold, Was just a bunch of oak blocks stacked up and glued together, I think I had made like 4 or 5 before this.

The second one is a pair I rurned for a nephew last spring.

Ok...let's see if I can find "something old" and add some more recent things for comparison.
    1. My second bowl...a small black walnut piece from material off our property turned the day after I received the HFT 34706 lathe I started out on in 2001. (Replaced by a OneWay 1018 about 6 mos later) I also have the first one, but don't have a picture of it. This piece is about 6" in diameter.
    2. My most complex piece to date turned and carved in December 2004 for a close friend. 9" tall.
    3. "Largest" piece, a bubinga platter turned in August 2004. The carving and acrylic paint were done to conceal a radial crack so I didn't have to reduce the overall size of the piece below its nearly 16" diameter.
    4. One of the most pleasing pieces in my collection turned from spalted Norway maple off our property. There is a small 3/8" tall "foot" that supports this piece off the table it sits on...poor photography, unfortunately. Turned in about March 2004 just after I bought the Stubby 750.
    5. The most interesting piece to turn. I bought this burl cap at the 2002 AAW symposium in Providence for $5, even though my lathe at the time couldn't handle it. (The OneWay 1018 only had 10" of swing and the burl cap was at not quite 16" across) Once I had the Stubby, I stoked up the bravery department and turned this propeller, err...piece. It's about 15.5" in diameter. The internal bowl is about 6" across and is banded by a carved and burned feature to differentiate the bowl from the field. It sits on a tripod pedestal made from a shallow maple bowl, cut on the bandsaw to form the legs and then painted black. Three-point support is necessary to keep this somewhat unbalanced piece from tipping. Turned in March 2004.
    The latter four have been posted about here before, but never all together, I believe.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-02-2006 at 4:31 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

[QUOTE=Jim Becker]
    [*]One of the most pleasing pieces in my collection turned from spalted Norway maple off our property. There is a small 3/8" tall "foot" that supports this piece off the table it sits on...poor photography, unfortunately. Turned in about March 2004 just after I bought the Stubby 750.

Jim, it doesn't appear that this bowl has real thin walls so I'm not thinking you have a light inside of it to make the colors so brilliant. What the heck did you finish that thing with. It's really amazing looking.

Ernie

Well, my first bowl, a couple years ago, was used for a dog dish. He liked it so much that I just turned him another the other day, which would be my most recent bowl. He seems to like this one even more so I must be getting a little better.

I'll hafta hunt around and get some pics. I think everything I've done fits in the "old" category!!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller
    Well, my first bowl, a couple years ago, was used for a dog dish. He liked it so much that I just turned him another the other day, which would be my most recent bowl. He seems to like this one even more so I must be getting a little better.
    Must not be like my dogs, their favorite bowl is the one with the food in it

8. Here's my very first bowl (Pecan):

Here's a couple of my latest (both previously posted):

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Nyvall
    Jim, it doesn't appear that this bowl has real thin walls so I'm not thinking you have a light inside of it to make the colors so brilliant. What the heck did you finish that thing with.
    The finish is BLO and Target Coatings PSL sprayed. The photo is slightly "brighter" than reality, but not a lot, due to my attempt at reducing the shadows at the foot in Photoshop. This was a wonderful piece of wood. Thickness is about 3/8".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mickley
    Must not be like my dogs, their favorite bowl is the one with the food in it
    I hadn't thought of it, but maybe that's what the old mutt likes about both bowls.

My first bowl in February of 2005 is cherry. It's about 2.5" X 8".

The next bowl is NE walnut 9" X 12" donr the end of November.

Ernie

Geez! Spent an hour digging through boxes to find the picture of my first turning just to scan the thing. Anyway, here 'tis.

This was our house in Vallejo, CA, where we spent ten years in exile by my former employer, which was in NH. Redid the landscaping just to sell the house and that included building this fence. There were 17 finials in all. Turned from the 4x4 redwood drops when I cut the posts to length. But to get 17 that "mostly" matched I recall turning about 40 of them! This was the Excuse Project to acquire the lathe. Spent about 30 terrifying minutes gettign my legs and then dove into them. But as bad as that was. Painting the pickets is what was really bad. By hand with rollers and brushes while they were installed. Ugh.

1st turning.jpg 1st turning 2.jpg

And my latest turning is this thing which I did today. It's a piece of that spalted Hickory from Mike Cutler down in CT. Only roughed at this point and because the wood is a bit punky I'm gonna let it hang for a while before I revisit it.

2nd turning.jpg

Sidebar: I'll be working on that cherry burl tomorrow, so stand by.
    Last edited by Andy Hoyt; 01-05-2006 at 12:40 AM.
    Only the Blue Roads