Thread: PC 4212 attempt

PC 4212 attempt

This is my first attempt at DT's using the PC 4212. The box was an after thought, hated to waste the wood, even if it was just scrap.Started just to see if I could do 4 pieces of wood to all fit and be square. Setup was less than 10 minuets. The joints were tight, tails a bit proud, but very acceptable, just couldn't toss into the burn box, hence a quick top and bottom. I would have to give this jig an A for ease of use, The onley problem was the bit depth guide. It is a ROUNDED piece of plastic and the bottems of the bits have a slightly different profile, the cause of the tails being a bit proud.For my first attempt and never using any other DT jig, I would have to recomend it. Just my thoughts,for what ever it is worth.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sometimes we see what we expect to see, and not what we are looking at! Scott

Nice review Scott. Several have posted in the past about their positive experiences with the PC dovetail guide. Looks like it does a nice job!

Nice job Scott. DT look really good.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Dovetails are 'real woodworking' and, thus, currently out of my league. But I thought that with this type of joinery, you want the result to be a hair proud, so you can plane/scrape/sand them perfectly smooth?

Scott; I couldn't agree more with your analysis of the PC 4212. I too found that I could create great fitting dovetails with in the first hour of use and learning. I was amazed at how easy it is to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donalek
    Dovetails are 'real woodworking' and, thus, currently out of my league. But I thought that with this type of joinery, you want the result to be a hair proud, so you can plane/scrape/sand them perfectly smooth?
    Hi Tom, Yes, I think you are right, but in my case it was only the tails that were proud. Using the guide, the tails were really proud and the pins were right on. I think I will buy some Bud Light in a bottle and use the cap to place over the guide, that should make it flat, then I think both bits should be equal. Then again, it did give me a good reason to use my new LN block plane.

I agree with your comment about the depth guide. I found the unit very easy to use and did a great job, but setting the depth with a set of calipers got me much better results a whole lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Weishapl
    Nice job Scott. DT look really good.
    Thanks Bernie, now if I can master the lathe as good as you, I'll be set! ")