Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Antique Workbench Update

Well...here is mine if I can figure out how to post the picture. Research reveals that it was originally built around 1910 by the E.H. Shelton company of Muskegon, Mich. which specialized in equipment for trade schools, etc. which is why it is probably only 42 inches wide. It is the perfect size for where I wanted to put it, which is right in front of a large window which will finally allow me to carve in natural light. It will be used exclusively for hand carving. I'll continue to do my power carving in my basement.

It was owned by a prominent advertising pioneer who carved and built model ships on it as his hobbies in the early part of the last century. I found his name on the bottom, and I researched him. Everything on it works perfectly. Who was he??? Well, I hope I don't get in trouble for this with the moderators, but as sort of a tribute to him... I stole his name to use on this board! He was Earnest Elmo Calkins (1868-1964) of Elmsford, NY, a deaf man who was the first person to incorporate art into advertising. My real name is Vince. Nice to meet you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I know this thread is really old but does anyone know what the manufacturer of the four vises posted on page one are?

Thanks in advance,

Nick