Thread: Odor

Unhappy Odor

I used Watco Danish Oil on the outside so I just used it on the inside, BUMMER, now the drawers stink. What can I do to get rid of the odor?
    I do not want to remake them! Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Overton
    I used Watco Danish Oil on the outside so I just used it on the inside, BUMMER, now the drawers stink. What can I do to get rid of the odor?
    I do not want to remake them! Rob

A coat of 2 lb cut shellac will seal most of the stink in. It is also good for referbishing old furniture and cabinets that have aquired an old musty smell over the years.

Drawers stink

You probably should change them more often.:>)ok that said, if you leave the m sitting out of the cabinet for a few days they should dry and most if not all the smell wil go away. Normally once they re completely dry they won't smell any more. If the smell still lingers then go ahead and coat them with shellac or or lacquer. Steve
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Yup...time to get shellacked! <G> Seriously, the post about using shellac to seal the insides of the drawers is generally what I've seen the "pros" recommend for this situation. Shellac is also an excellent product to use for finishing the insides of drawers and cabinets to begin with and is one of the best moisture barriers available!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Repeat after me:

Never, never use an oil based finishing product on the inside of a cabinet or drawer that will contain cloth or clothing.

Repeat again.

Oil based products off gas almost forever and the odor will be there always. Use only waterborne, shellac or nothing at all.

Coating the oil based finish with shellac generally fixes it but I've seen it not work too.
    Howie.........

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson
    Repeat after me:

Never, never use an oil based finishing product on the inside of a cabinet or drawer that will contain cloth or clothing.

Repeat again.

Oil based products off gas almost forever and the odor will be there always. Use only waterborne, shellac or nothing at all.

Coating the oil based finish with shellac generally fixes it but I've seen it not work too.
    Howie, I will never use an oil based product on the inside of a drawer or a cabinet. AGAIN ...........