Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Texas home shops-separate meter HELP!

Texas home shops-separate meter HELP!

Calling all Texas woodworkers that have separate meters to their shops. I need some advice before I say something (else) that I'll regret.
    I thought this was going to be SO GREAT when the property we bought had separate service to the shop building. I've got it wired and ready to turn on, so I called TXU to get some power. They are trying to tell me that if this is not a residence, it has to be a commercial account, therefore commercial rates. Does anyone have any different information about this? This is strictly a hobby shop. In fact the covenants for our edition prohibit building a separate building that is for people to live in. Is my only solution to upgrade the seveice entrance to the house to 400 amps, and run the shop off the house's meter? That would be a big expense I'd rather not get involved in, but over time might be cheaper than paying commercial rates. Any information anyone might have, please let me know. I might just call a different service provider to hook up the shop through them and see if they will bill it as residential. Thanks! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Let me say that I rue the day I got a separate service to mine...even though I did it specifically to GET the commercial account (tax purposes). As it turns out, I'd be money ahead the other way...and now I can't very well get it changed. Further, LOML swapped the house account to Reliant, but they won't take my shop account without a deposit...and I won't give them a deposit just on principal. Also, of the eight months or so they've had the house, 6 billings have been 'estimated'....so the lower rates really haven't done squat because they're certainly not estimating from OUR prior useage.

When I build a new shop up by the house, I'm running a line off of the house 200A service. I'll never be using that much at one time even if we had everything in the house running along with the three or four things that may be on at any given time in the shop.

KC

jim, i would go to the utility company in person and explain to a person face to face that you are pulling power for a hobby shop. it sounds as though you have been dealing with the typical phone person? remember you`re paying them and you expect service, so many times the employees think they are doing you a favor just by tolerating your presence. i`m certain there are umpteen hobby shops from wood to cars and welding outfits on the same grid and i doubt if the phone people strongarmed all of them into paying commercial rates........02 tod

Jim......I'm with Tod on this. I had a separate meter installed on my new shop. I first got the runaround on the telephone. I went to the office talked with a person face-to-face. Then.............The people showed up to do the work.......I pay a minimun of $8.00 for my shop and it's at the same rate as my house. The $8 minimun is the only difference.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

A separate meter for my shop would also have had to been a Commercial or "General Purpose" account (separate) with higher rates than my home.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Never will happen here in Dallas...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    jim, i would go to the utility company in person and explain to a person face to face that you are pulling power for a hobby shop. it sounds as though you have been dealing with the typical phone person? remember you`re paying them and you expect service, so many times the employees think they are doing you a favor just by tolerating your presence. i`m certain there are umpteen hobby shops from wood to cars and welding outfits on the same grid and i doubt if the phone people strongarmed all of them into paying commercial rates........02 tod
    You will never get into the building. Never. You can't pay a bill at the officies of any utility company in Dallas. Never.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Jim, I think Ken and Tod are right, you need to work your way up the food chain, probably by phone. KC reminded me how great deregulation is, don't you just love it. And Ken, tick, tick, tick.
    Good, Fast, Cheap--Pick two.

Thanks for the quick replys, guys. I am taking Friday afternoon off, basically to get back at the guy I work with for taking off last Friday and making me work late on my early day off without any prior notice I might add, so I could run to their office if I can find it.
    Yes, Todd, I was on the phone. Although I think a string and a couple tin cans would have given me the ability to hear them more easliy. They must have a really cruddy phone system. Got transferred to the commercial accounts with the notion that they could change from commercial account to residential, then that person said if it is not a living quarters, it has to be commercial. Makes no sense to me, but I'll see what they say face to face. Although I fear I'll get really upset with them if I get someone who asks me 5 times if this is a separate building from the house, like the 3 different people on the phone have each done today. I think they must be trained in the run around to get you to say yes. Ken, if the commercial account was the same rate, but with a minimum, no problem. But I believe here the amounts are a lot higher, and TXU was already awarded a 23% increase that is to take effect later this month.
    Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes. Jim
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Do NOT get a commercial meter.

Let me explain the THEFT in Dallas by the 'letric company. For 52 years, we had the same meter at the shop. It was a commercial account. I was upgrading and, because I could get some good deals on three phase equipment, I submitted to the 'letric company my request. It seemed to take forever, but I got the 3 phase and the electrician put in the new panel. My bills immediately tripled. Here's the way it works. It is now called a Demand Meter. Why? Because all the electricity you need is at your demand. I'm not makin' this stuff up. Next, you are allowed 10 on your magic meter. They say that the first 10 is "free". After that, the ratchet system kicks in. If you used, say 19 the first month, 28 the next month, 31 the next month, but 11 the next month, you'll pay 80% of your highest bill. That would be 31. You are locked in to the highest rate you use for that year. Say you pulled the switch after 31 and took off for eight months. You'll pay 80% of 31 for the entire year, even though you don't use one killowatt hour. I did a lot of bidness in Feb. of last year and my meter was way up. I paid a whopping amount for Apr. and May even though I didn't use squat in electricity. I pay $159 to run flourescent lamps. And you'll get nowhere with them either. I've spent hours talking to reps that have pat answer cue cards.

So, run it as a residence or from your house.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Don't tell em it's a shop. Tell em it a seperate guest house or a Mother in Law Cottage..

What a rip! If you don't get anywhere soon it might be a good idea to contact an attorney. Believe me, they will start talking as soon as they see that you are serious. You may not win but they will at least take notice.

In the 1970 I had a seperate shop from my house in Jacksboro, Texas and both had residential rates but as someone said deregulation is a WONDERFUL thing. HA!!!! Just look at the airlines.

From time to time I think about moving back to Texas but with that kind of attitude I think that I will just stay put.

Allen

Hi Jim. We are located in Collin County, west of McKinney. The electric company is GCEC, Grayson Collin Electric Coop. When we built, I had a separate meter installed for the shop. The shop electric rate is the same as for the house, currently 10 cents per KWH. I had to pay an extra one-time charge for the extra underground service from the pole to the meter box eventhough the ditch had already been dug. I don't remember the exact amount, but it seems that it was in the order of $700. Because it is a meter that is read, I get two electric bills. We also had them install a sodium night light on the pole. The light costs a flat $6.50/month.
    Best Regards, Ken

I had a similar problem when I lived outside Floresville. I had to deal with an electric co-op and let me tell you what a PITA they are to deal with. First, they want deposits, large deposits. Then they want to inspect your house. If you have a gas source on the property (even a 40lb propane bottle), they charge you higher rates because you don't have an all electric house. Then, they will not provide two meters to the same address unless you are zoned for multi family housing or charge commercial rates. It wast he most frustrating thing I have ever encountered. When it comes down to the bottom line, they are governed by a local board which is elected by the rate payers. The unpaid board makes the rules which really means the rate payers make the rules. Its difficult to find anyone who receives a salary to make a decision.
    Dennis

Same Here

In my part of Louisiana it is the same. I pay the small commercial rate for my shop. The elected officials lean on the utilities to give residences a break so when the utility can return the favor and get their full rates, they do. The only time I have seen the utility foiled was a friend that parked a travel trailer in a warehouse. got utilitirs hooked up on a residential rate, and then pulled out the trailer. But then I always did think he was a natural born con-man
    18th century nut --- Carl

Heck just get a 10 KW genset & laugh at them.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen