Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Price check on hardwood in Central Ark?

Price check on hardwood in Central Ark?

Hi, folks.

I found an ad in the paper yesterday advertising a small hardwood outfit with

"cypress, cedar oak, walnut, maple - rough plain, kiln dried. 1/4 sawn oak, barn lumber."

I called the guy and he called me back just now. I was most interested in walnut and maple and he gave me prices of $2.50 and $2.00/bf respectively.

Question: This seems like good pricing. Do you all agree?
    I'd love to go in with somebody (Dennis?) around here and make a run up there. He's in Pleasant Plains, near Bald Knob. (Arkansas)
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by T.J. Mahaffey
    Hi, folks.

"cypress, cedar oak, walnut, maple - rough plain, kiln dried. 1/4 sawn oak, barn lumber."

I called the guy and he called me back just now. I was most interested in walnut and maple and he gave me prices of $2.50 and $2.00/bf respectively.

I'd love to go in with somebody (Dennis?) around here and make a run up there. He's in Pleasant Plains, near Bald Knob. (Arkansas)
    TJ,
    I might be interested.

Larry
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by T.J. Mahaffey
    Hi, folks.

Those seem like some pretty good prices to me especially for the walnut!! I gave over $5 bdft for some kiln dried surface and straight lined walnut about 2 years ago. I gave $2.59 bdft for maple this week that is 13/16 s2s striaght lined but that is delivered to my shop door.

The way I have to work it is important to me to have materials delivered to my shop. I wonder if the guy would deliver if I bought a big load. Did he have any oak or other species??

My parents used to live in Pleasant Plains and I still have quite a few kinfolks who live in Velvet Ridge. They might even know the guy.

I would love to have his contact information if you want to post it here or give me a shout on the PM.

Hot Springs huh? I'm down there in those parts several times a year at the FFA camp called Camp Couchdale out near the Lake Catherine State Park. I may look you up next summer.

By the way is it kiln dried?????
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

T.J.,
    Walnut seems like a good price if it is pretty good stuff. Maple is ok. It is pretty easy to get soft maple FAS for under $2.50/BF up here planed and ripped. Like Larry I might be intrested too. Is he close to Hot Springs? I am always looking for an excuse to go to McClard's.
    Joe

Blog Entries
    TJ,
    I'm at work now, so I don't have time to discuss this right now. but I will add more to the thread tonight.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

TJ,

I have to ask:

1. is it rough cut
    2. is it DRY or WET as I can get all that WET for around or less than that price.
    3. How much does he have?
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

heck maybe we can all chip in and get some good pricing? i`d have to see it before i commit.....tod

Through my family physician, I've learned about a sawmill in Bald Knob. Prices are pretty godd, but it's all green lumber. Oh....and it's a you haul it too.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock
    Through my family physician, I've learned about a sawmill in Bald Knob. Prices are pretty godd, but it's all green lumber. Oh....and it's a you haul it too.
    the most i`ve hauled behind the 56 is 4500bf of kd oak, kinda scarry on the hills

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    the most i`ve hauled behind the 56 is 4500bf of kd oak, kinda scarry on the hills
    You must be a rich man Tod....I could never "dream" of leaving an establishment with 4500 bft of lumber....that's a LOT of money!!!!!
    Dennis -

You must be a rich man Tod....I could never "dream" of leaving an establishment with 4500 bft of lumber....that's a LOT of money!!!!!

other folks money! i just milled it for a buck.... i got no money, just tools! tod

TJ,

I have to ask:

1. is it rough cut
    2. is it DRY or WET as I can get all that WET for around or less than that price.
    3. How much does he have?
    Hi, Dennis.

1. I don't know.
    2. As I quoted the ad in my original post, it is kiln dried.
    3. I don't know.

I'll probably go up there in a week or two and check it out. Maybe even get some pictures.
    T.J.
    Head Piddler, My Shop

13. I might be interested in a few bf also if a group purchase works out. Pleasant Plains ain't too far from my ol' stompin' grounds (Greers Ferry).

Wood

I know the guy that TJ is talking to.He has some nice wood both green and kiln dried. He will also custom cut to the thickness you want and dry it for you. Most of his wood is rough cut.
    I am working something out with him to have some of his wood in central Arkansas for people that just want a small amount and don't want to drive that far.

I'd go in on the deal for a couple of hundred of bd. ft. If someone could drive it out here to California I'd buy them breakfast.
    Mark Rios

Anything worth taking seriously is worth making fun of.

"All roads lead to a terrestrial planet finder telescope"

We arrive at this moment...by the unswerving punctuality...of chance.