Thread: shoulder plane

shoulder plane

I have been putting off buying a shoulder plan for quite a while but now find it is something I need to get. have been looking around for a while but am disapointed at the price. Maybe I'm ignorant on it but I find it hard to put out $200 or more for it. Any suggestions on sources. I only have limited use for it.

Thanks

Auction sites often have them. Something like a Stanley 92 has been in the $70-100 range lately.

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    John, check out Lee Valley's offerings. They have a large shoulder plane for $179 and a medium model for $149. These are very good planes.

Whatever you do...

Don't buy one of the current Stanley shoulder planes (made in the UK). I bought a new 92 a while ago, it arrived pre-rusted in the box. Pretty reputable seller, I'm guessing it arrived in the US that way. My 2 cents.

Re: Shoulder Planes

I have the L/N Large Shoulder and the Lee Valley Medium shoulder. Both work very well, with the Veritas model being a bit easier to hold and maneuver with its updated design and contact points. I highly doubt you'd be disappointed with either of these.

Having said that, wooden shoulder planes like ECE makes work well too and cost less money.

Regards,

John

I have the medium and small Veritas. I haven't had a chance to use the small one yet but I used the medium one all summer and love it. They are the best tool for fine sizing of tennons and rabbits.

I will second the advice on the Lee Valley shoulder planes - very well made and fit your hand well. I'll also second the advice on NOT buying a new Stanley 92 or 93 (made in UK version). I bought one a while back and felt that it was junk. I eventually sold it on EBay.

One other thought. Althought it's not technically a shoulder plane, Woodcraft has the Lie-Nielsen 60 1/2R (Rabbet) plane on sale for $120. If you're looking for something to trim tenons, this might be a good solution.

Mike

I have a few including the LV Medium which is great! The LN Big one and a small Clifton...a all woody and a Stanley....The LV Medium is my favorite...the LN is great but big. Most of the time the Med is wide enought to get you away from the rabett and then a small block plane like a 103 will take over..
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

If you are cheap like me the Harbor freight 90310 for $10 fills my needs. I am not saying the HF is as good as a LV but it works better than you would think for $10.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=90310

Quote Originally Posted by John Tarro
    I have been putting off buying a shoulder plan for quite a while but now find it is something I need to get. have been looking around for a while but am disapointed at the price. Maybe I'm ignorant on it but I find it hard to put out $200 or more for it. Any suggestions on sources. I only have limited use for it.

Thanks
    My suggestion. Spend the money on the LV shoulder planes. The minute you apply the plane to the first tenon, you'll not worry about having spent too much. I've got both their shoulder planes. Two thumbs up! They are not overpriced.

i`m pretty fond of the planes lie-nelson cloned.......tod

MVC-103S.JPG