Thread: Leigh D4 Dovetail Question-Advice please

Leigh D4 Dovetail Question-Advice please

I'm still getting used to my D4. I'm cutting some 1/2" Dovetails for a large box made of paulownia. I tried using some 1/4" hardboard in front of the board to prevent tearout and it worked fine-however it sure seemed to be tough on the bit. What is the best material to use for protecting from tearout: hardboard, plywood, same wood as workpiece, other? Thanks in advance.
    Be Blessed!

The hardboard/masonite is a bit killer for sure. I've had it wear out a brand new Jesada flush-cutting bit in less than ten feet of cutting. Nasty stuff!

I use whatever thin scrap I have laying around, but have at times (on big jobs) resorted to buying a sheet of 1/4" Luaun plywood to use as a 'front' board.

Oft times, the big box stores or even the local lumber yard will have damaged sheets of ply that you can get for nothing, or next-to-nothing, for this use, too.

Chris, on the front of the board you can make a light climb cut (emphasis on light) to score the cut, and all but the most troublesome wood will not chip out on that side. For the back you can clamp in a piece of about any solid wood, if needed.

I haven't worked Paulownia, if it is one of those woods that chips out if you even look at it, you have my sympathies. But I've found almost nothing that doesn't respond well to a sharp bit and a scoring climb cut.

Dave

Dave,

Is that backer board you described used in addition to the backer board Leigh recommends which clamps on top of the unit or does yours replace the one of top?
    Be Blessed!

The backer board clamped in the top clamp, is the one to which I referred. I wasn't very clear, sorry about that.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Arbuckle
    Chris, on the front of the board you can make a light climb cut (emphasis on light) to score the cut, and all but the most troublesome wood will not chip out on that side. For the back you can clamp in a piece of about any solid wood, if needed.
    This is the recommended method and I've found it works very well. For the backerboard, I use scrap MDF...the price is right, although the first cuts do generate a little extra dust...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...