Thread: Baltimore WW show?

Baltimore WW show?

Ok, I was too wrapped up in my current project to attend. Who went, and what did I miss?

Newbie enthusiasm for Baltimore show

Greetings SMC;
    I spent 1/2 hour approaching, and 45 minutes creeping the last 1/4 mile to the fairgrounds! Turns out Sat & Sunday were also the Toys & Trains show w/ 10 minute hikes from parking. My second year, lots of stuff to see again. Some good bargains to be had and always fun.

Ya get to see dozens of Lie Nielsen planes for handson testing, iron envy displays, racks of discount stuff and the 400,000 rpm turbine engraving appliance, really! If you're willing to engage in Q&As, its even possible to learn something amidst the sales pitches and marketing aura that add to these events.
    OK, since you're still reading; I bought a 3M sandpaper assortment (5 grits 5 each) for $15, five 4x36 belts (100g & 120g) $10, 4ft mini T-track w/ knobs $9, razor saw w/ 42 tpi $4 (looks cool under 30x scope - I'm a geek, sue me). Oh and a $500 26 foot Little Giant ladder w/ gadgets, previously researched/priced/planned and partially funded w/ Santa himself.

Coffee's good today
    W. Marc Schmitz
    14x19 wood/metal/lab shop
    too small, but efficiency is bliss

I went on Saturday afternoon. Suprisingly, I made it all the way up York Rd. from Joppa Rd to the fairgrounds in about the normal time. I pulled into the gate and parked at the first available spot I saw, which turned out to be a big mistake.

Besseys get heavy when you carry them 1/2 mile. I bought 4 more 24"s and 4 12"s. Got all 8 for $176. Not too shabby.

I now have 4 - 12s, 8 -24s, and 4 - 40s. All since the 40% off deal started.

Michael

Marc, Ouch!, I have never seen them combine the WW show with another show at the same time. I hate it when that happens, they do that consistantly at the Dulles Expo Center site. This is the first year in many that I didn't go, but I spent enough at the last 2 (Balt and Dulles) I attended to last me for awhile (unisaw+routerstuff).
    Oh and about the Little Giant ladder, I bought a 22 many years ago (at least 10), and they are very nice, and very stable ladders. I've used the heck out of mine! Only one thing I can tell you, they don't really work very well as an extension ladder replacement, and if you're not careful you can get you hand pinched pretty severely in this mode. So be careful.

Sorry to hijack a thread I started. Now back to the Show news and gloats!

I went for a few hours on Friday and all day on 10am - 4 pm on Sunday. Spent a rair amount of time with the folks from Apollo Spray systems, Lee Valley (watching them put the BU planes thru their paces) About an hour with the owner of Laguna and another hour with Dain from Mini Max. LOML was with me on Sunday and thought the guys cutting Reindeer out on the bandsaw was cool. (she got to take one home..... The reindeer, not the guy! ).

I picked up a 4 pack of 50" Bessy clamps and a Mini Max 16.

Lots of fun!

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work

Did he not just cut that reindeer out too quickly. He was making some VERY steep cuts with that 1/4" blade too.

I was suprised at the lack of "deals" there. Peachtree was EVERYWHERE. But I spent time with the incra folks, Jointech, then CraftUSA! Then it was watching some one with a french accient demoing a "plane" you put a carpet knife blade in. one could have spent all day browsing the router bits however. They had the biggest roundover bit I think I've ever seen.

Keith
    "The element of competition has never worried me, because from the start, I suppose I realized wood contains so much inspiration and beauty and rhythm that if used properly it would result in an individual and unique object." - James Krenov

What you do speaks so loud, I cannot hear what you say. -R. W. Emerson

Spent Saturday there.

Full set of Plano clamps, some CA, a video, book, lunch, double back clamps to try on the CNC router and then the next few hours talking about the Peterson sawmill that was just outside the entrance.

Now the trees can become lumber or bowl blanks!

I was hoping to find some good deals on shop supplies (sandpaper, glue brushes etc.) but there didn't seem to be much of that. Lee Valley was offering free shipping but i'd have to pay MD tax, on line it's no tax but shipping. A few bucks differance....

Brian
    The significant problems we encounter cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them.

The penalty for inaccuracy is more work