Thread: rough lumber pricing part 2

rough lumber pricing part 2

as I was reading your replys the old mind fired on more cylinders than it usally does,,,,,, s2s is planed both sides that is what the prices from badger hardwoods is for then you can deduct .25 a bf for rough and straight line ripping is .20 a bf,,, there prices look alot better now,,,
    I just visted this mill last week the other mill I was at a few weeks ago
    sold thier lumber rough and charged per bd ft for s2s but didn't do str line cutting,,,, thanks for getting me back on track,,,,,
    Mike

Be careful of S2S lumber. While it is planed on both sides it can still be cupped, twisted, and generally no where near ready to use. Problem is that they, the supplier, have already removed all the extra wood that you could have used to make the lumber ready for your project.

I always buy my stock skip dressed to 15/16" so I can see the grain to determine which board I'll put where in a project. After that, it's off to the jointer and planer to finish up

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Meadows
    Be careful of S2S lumber. While it is planed on both sides it can still be cupped, twisted, and generally no where near ready to use. Problem is that they, the supplier, have already removed all the extra wood that you could have used to make the lumber ready for your project.

I always buy my stock skip dressed to 15/16" so I can see the grain to determine which board I'll put where in a project. After that, it's off to the jointer and planer to finish up.
    I'm with Ron on this one...projects go together much better when the stock you are working with is flat and true. Unless you have an extraordinarily good supplier, much of that needs to be insured by you. I've seen very little pre-prepared lumber that I would be happy to use "as-is" and if it's already at the "final" dimensions, you have nothing left to work with. One other point...if you do use 2S2, check every board to insure they are dimensioned/thicknessed exactly the same. There are no guarentees on that!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Both Ron and Jim are exactly right. I get it plained oversize and then do the final milling & jointing myself, and usually needing one pass thru the jointer, then one pass on the plainer to clean things up.

This is way better for me then totally rough lumber. To make rough usable: Step 1) plain it down to get a smooth side. This might take several passes on the plainer. Depending upon how rough it is, sometimes I have to adjust the plainer for each board. 2) joint it 3) plain it some more.

Plus the wood seems dirty to me, and I figure this must be hard on knives.

Having the mill do the initial plaining here's the steps: 1) joint it 2) plain it usually in one or two passes. This cuts my time shuffling boards in about 1/2 for very little cost.

Hi Mike, I live in the Chicago area and I have a hard time finding good quality walnut. The hardwood store that I go to has alot of walnut, but it isn't of a very high quality. Could you tell me which mills you go to, their location, phone number, and if they have a good amount of walnut and also is it a good quality? Thanks. If you would prefer to email me, my address is petelamb@yahoo.com. Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Evertsen
    as I was reading your replys the old mind fired on more cylinders than it usally does,,,,,, s2s is planed both sides that is what the prices from badger hardwoods is for then you can deduct .25 a bf for rough and straight line ripping is .20 a bf,,, there prices look alot better now,,,
    I just visted this mill last week the other mill I was at a few weeks ago
    sold thier lumber rough and charged per bd ft for s2s but didn't do str line cutting,,,, thanks for getting me back on track,,,,,
    Pete Lamberty